Too many attachments

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are annual limits on the table, or no way in hell? If I could pay a bit more and get like 250mb per year (without an image qty limit), think that would work out great.

My thoughts.

Everyone here should pay a fee. If this were a “club” we’d all have to pay dues. Also it should cut down on the parasites and scammers.

I just went through my attachments and only saved one copy of each picture and linked to my attachments. I also deleted stupid stuff and used new pictures in older posts. Basically just house cleaning and consolidating. I went from 95 pages to 30! I hope this helps. I did not realize I was taking advantage.

We need a way to delete images from locked threads. I have 30 pictures that I can’t do anything with.

It would be nice if the attachments file could be organized. So you could sort your pictures into groups or label them.

It would also be nice if there was an option to take the pictures from your attachments. Rather than the copy / paste / edit way that is necessary now.

I’m below on my mb but over on the number of images. I’m hoping moving forward we can just have a mb limit.

Thanks

My thoughts.

Everyone here should pay a fee. If this were a “club” we’d all have to pay dues. Also it should cut down on the parasites and scammers.

1vTaBMO.jpg

Sorry, I would’ve just quoted that, but it was in a different (now closed) thread on the same subject.

I respectfully disagree. But it’s obviously not my decision.

I’ve been going through my attachments and have been getting rid of some. I was at 934 images, well over the 500 for my membership level. Interestingly enough, I had plenty of space left.

I started digging into it and I’m big at posting in threads where someone is looking for a new knife with *……*. I’d post a recommendation along with an image, typically from BladeHQ. I have hundreds of images like this. This is the reason for my high count with low volume.

I’ve methodically began to delete these images, y’know, at those times you sit and stare at your phone and think, (**wink-wink, nudge -nudge** ) and I’ve gone from 934 to 780 without any loss to the forums.

I now have the option to upgrade membership and have a comfortable margin to work within for image count.

I’ve not deleted a single photo I’ve taken and posted of a knife I’ve owned. I’ve also deleted some pictures of my dogs and cats and some killer memes. I also have a lot of images that I can’t access.

I guess my point is we’ve all got a lot of trash that we can shed without compromising the history recorded at BF. It sucks and is painful, but we’re part of a community here. Let’s all quit whining and work toward a solution while Spark works through his options.

I’ve been going through my attachments and have been getting rid of some. I was at 934 images, well over the 500 for my membership level. Interestingly enough, I had plenty of space left.

I started digging into it and I’m big at posting in threads where someone is looking for a new knife with *……*. I’d post a recommendation along with an image, typically from BladeHQ. I have hundreds of images like this. This is the reason for my high count with low volume.

I’ve methodically began to delete these images, y’know, at those times you sit and stare at your phone and think, (**wink-wink, nudge -nudge** ) and I’ve gone from 934 to 780 without any loss to the forums.

I now have the option to upgrade membership and have a comfortable margin to work within for image count.

I’ve not deleted a single photo I’ve taken and posted of a knife I’ve owned. I’ve also deleted some pictures of my dogs and cats and some killer memes. I also have a lot of images that I can’t access.

I guess my point is we’ve all got a lot of trash that we can shed without compromising the history recorded at BF. It sucks and is painful, but we’re part of a community here. Let’s all quit whining and work toward a solution while Spark works through his options.
Same here. I wish I knew to re use images already in my attachments sooner. Also like you a lot of my pictures were stock images that I was afraid to link to directly. So deleted the pictures and left the words. Old threads anyway.

Moving forward I will be less wasteful. It would have been easier to deal with this sooner, but all we can do is move forward.

I may still have to upgrade to platinum, but I’m not looking for a double diamond titanium level membership anymore. 😂

There have been 2 issues lately that seem somewhat connected and maybe there is a way to help solve both issues with a little tweaking of the rules.
One issue is the attachment quota, and the other is whether or not to delete old or inactive threads.
It seems that the consensus is not to delete old or inactive threads so that useful or historical data and photos are preserved.

What if only threads in certain areas of the forum were allowed to host pictures on the forum server (all others must be hosted externally) and likewise only threads in certain forum areas were to be preserved and not subject to being deleted when old or inactive?

Let's face it, NOT every thread has educational or historical importance.
Pictures of knives in your car or on your hat, in your cup or with your watch, while great fun, should probably be hosted externally, freeing up server resources.
Additionally, those pictures and threads probably don't need to be saved for posterity, also freeing up server resources that we all share, and some of us pay for.

Perhaps some photos and threads in certain forum areas SHOULD be saved (with photos on hosted on forum servers) so that they can be preserved and used in the future for information/education, but honestly there are plenty posted every day that are just for fun and frankly repetitive.

My 2 cents.

Some good points here. I've previously made the point that this site could use some general book-keeping or de-cluttering regarding old or locked threads. (I realize that this would take both time and care to do correctly. While current staff and moderators have other things on their plate, I'm sure we could find appropriately suited volunteers to grant the required privileges if Spark Spark was interested in pursuing this.)

It's worth noting that many older picture threads have already been subject to rot from problems with external image hosting. We've had discussion here and elsewhere about image hosting sites going out of business or enacting detrimental policy changes. More recent censorship issues and crackdowns on knife content via "weapons" or "community safety" policies are another threat.

Here is a good example. Given my love for pictures of "knives in trees", I dug up the relevant thread here and started using it. Being from 2008, it was heavily rotted and anyone opening it for the first time would be greeted by page after page of dead images. So I eventually started a new thread: Knives in Trees II. Only being about six months old, it doesn't seem to have suffered much from either hosting issues or the recent panic here.

Well Ive gone back and deleted all images from my sales threads and I'm still 300% over in both number and size. I really dont want to contribute to thread rot but man do I hate Imgur. I am thinking of getting rid of as many attachments as it takes to get 12 pics under the limit, take a photo of each of my knives and just reuse them as I rotate.

I still think it needs to be a "per year" limit to make any sense for a long term contributing member...otherwise everyone is bound to hit their limit eventually and be stuck paying for a service they can't use or forced to delete pics and contribute to thread rot.

And I still argue that the hard storage limits that we paid for are not adequate for long term members if the wish is to have them continue contributing to the site....if their contributions are no longer deemed important than so be it🤷🏻‍♂️

Can one anyone tell me how many attachments a Platinum membership is allowed? Thanks.

i am at:

770 / 500 (154%)
144 / 200 MB (72%)

Which is frustrating because I shrink all my photos and remain well under my MB data allotment but due to the the item limit I am blocked from posting new photos. I am not knowledgeable about computer stuff, but I don’t understand why the MB limit doesn’t control vs. the item limit?

I have some seriously cool blades to share with all you lovely people but I have not been able to post pics for many months. I am feeling like it is almost time to totally panic and freak out and start deleting old photos, but I have not worked myself up into a frenzy yet, so maybe in May?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back