Top 10 blades everyone should own

In the time I spent here, I got more curious about flavors and styles that I wouldn’t have bothered checking out on my own. But the stories shared and intended uses made me more willing to check out blades outside my comfort zone. For a hobby that essentially revolves around a sharp piece of steel and a comfortable enough handle, there is a surprising degree of diversity and complexity in the world of knives.

That being said, I came up with a list of blades that I think would serve every person well, regardless of age. We did something like this in the Cold Steel forum, but I think it’s great to do a free-for-all version this time. Of course this is just my opinion and this thread ultimately is just for fun. Feel free to post pics and descriptions if you care for them. You can cite blades from your collection or blades you plan on getting. I didn’t include axes in my list, but go ahead and include them in yours or share them in a bonus list! I went for breadth rather than depth, but you can focus on folders, fixed blades, choppers, etc.

Let’s be kind with one another’s tastes and I hope this proves enjoyable. Here’s mine in no particular order. Some I own, some I plan to own, haha.

1. Buck 110 - This is one of those outside my comfort zone, as I tend to prefer modern style folders. But over time, I grew to like the design. It has a timeless aesthetic about it and it looks like a cool knife to pass down to your kids.
  2. Morakniv Companion - If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. I got the Kansbol instead because I prefer the look and feel of the handle, but I suspect the Companion will serve most folks just fine. It’s inexpensive, Sweden-made, and a steel that’s great for beginner sharpeners. Perfect for the rookie or seasoned woodsman.
  3. Khukuri - The ones I have are from the Khukuri House and Kailash Blades, but I read some great things too about Himalayan Imports. I love this design. Awesome chopper, badass looking blade. For kukri fans out there, it’s also fascinating to read up on the history of the Gurkhas, warriors from Nepal.
  4. Ginunting - A blade from the land where I came from, so I can’t not include it here. A well constructed Philippine ginunting can function as a short machete, clearing vegetation and thin branches just fine. The balance is also excellent, allowing a trained user to make quick and agile cuts. Mine is as Plain Jane as you could get, but I love it.
  5. ESEE Izula - This is one of my favorites. Use it all the time for utility work and it handles great. Little guy that won’t back down from hard work. And it’s small enough that it’s usually in my pocket when I leave the house. The Izula in the pocket beats the smatchet at home.
  6. Carothers 10” Chopper - This is one badass blade, but I couldn’t justify the price as of now, particularly when the khukuri covers the chopper department. Nonetheless when I earn and save up enough one day, this one’s on my list.
  7. Becker BK-16 - There are plenty of awesome blades in the Becker lineup and they could easily fill this list, but the 16 is probably the one almost everyone will have a use for. Woodswork, housework, fixed blade EDC, this bad boy covers it. It’s a beautiful discreet design.
  8. Chris Reeve Sebenza 31 - This knife always struck me as the ultimate gift a son could give his father, father-figure, or mentor. Functionally, I can’t say that it’s five times better than my $110-ish Manix 2, but the clean timeless design makes this one nice to own. If we’re being honest with ourselves, sometimes what justifies the price is not only the craftsmanship but the desire to own one in the first place.
  9. Spyderco Paramilitary 2 - This is a matter of opinion of course, but the PM2 is the knife that comes to mind when somebody mentions Spyderco. Sleek design, handsome flat grind, pointy tip. The Para 3 works fine for my EDC needs, but the PM2 may better accomodate larger hands.
  10. Cold Steel SRK - I own its twin the Recon Tanto, but the more conventional blade shape of the SRK may be useful for more folks. Blades in the bastard neighborhood of 6-7” don’t get a lot of love, but they work just fine for my housework needs. Gives you plenty of performance at a very agreeable price.

What about lasses?

Especially lasses with nice asses!

Lol.

Of that list, I only own a PM2. I've owned an Izula, and a Sebenza 21. The Izula is a nice knife, didn't care for the sebbie.

I'm not a big fixed blade guy, but to each their own.

I think one of Spyderco's standard models are a must try for everyone, especially the PM2/3, Manix 2, and Yojimbo 2. Delica etc are great. I'm just not a backlock fan.

The higher end knives like CRK, RHK, etc are out of many peoples budget, and I personally don't think they are that great.

If a person has and is willing to spend the money, a custom of some sort should at least be tried.

Especially lasses with nice asses!
And lads too! Am I right?

But seriously, asking a question that excludes half the population is cave man behavior. We always want to dispel the myth to the "sheeple" that knives are weapons, but rather are tools. Along those lines, let's dispel the myth that knives are only for men. One way we can do that is with our language. I always cringe when I see threads that ask questions like this and I'll generally say something.

Ans on topic, a list of 10 knives everyone should own seems like we are going to get a list of everyone's favorite knives. Seems really broad. Axes and multitools too? Yikes!

I'd say everyone should try and Endura, Endula, or Delica. Pick your size and see what a no frills Spyderco cutting machine can do! Don't forget the Salt variants!

qTJ8vf6h.jpg

But seriously, asking a question that excludes half the population is cave man behavior. We always want to dispel the myth to the "sheeple" that knives are weapons, but rather, tools. Along those lines, let's dispel the myth that knives are only for men. One way we can do that is with our language. I always cringe when I see threads that ask questions like this and I'll generally say something.

Ans on topic, a list of 10 knives everyone should own seems like we are going to get a list of everyone's favorite knives. Seems really broad. Axes and multitools too? Yikes!

I'd say everyone should try and Endura, Endula, or Delica. Pick your size and see what a no frills Spyderco cutting machine can do! Don't for get the Salt variants!

qTJ8vf6h.jpg

as a penance, op should buy his wife, gf, sister or mom a knife off the list.

My wife only needs one; currently her favorite is a Spyderco 4.5" utility knife which I picked up at the Factory Store in Golden. She could probably process a mastodon with that.

I'd say everyone should try and Endura, Endula, or Delica. Pick your size and see what a no frills Spyderco cutting machine can do! Don't forget the Salt variants!

qTJ8vf6h.jpg

I'm down with this... I think everyone should try a Spyderco, and the Delica and Endura are like you said... No frills cutting machines.

Now myself, I've tried dozens and still don't cotton to them. But I still owe it to myself to keep trying out models, because hey... Spyderco.

My son thinks they are awesome (and they are!), so I'd have been remiss to not share them with my lads simply 'cuz I'm not a fan.

The Endura and Delica are just plain icons, and any lad or lass who's a fan of sharp stuff is incomplete without owning one.

Buck 110/112 regular or new light weight,spyderco delicacy/endura,buck 300 series,case of your choice,maybe a Bose edition,a mora,a lavar, and a choice of multi tool, and alox swiss army knife

But seriously, asking a question that excludes half the population is cave man behavior. We always want to dispel the myth to the "sheeple" that knives are weapons, but rather are tools. Along those lines, let's dispel the myth that knives are only for men. One way we can do that is with our language. I always cringe when I see threads that ask questions like this and I'll generally say something.

qTJ8vf6h.jpg

Which one do you self identify as?

Which one do you self identify as?
Why does it matter? Would you look at my opinion on knives in all these discussions differently?

Clearly a change in how we use language to convey meaning is difficult for some to confront, especially in a male dominated hobby.

Or do we think the op is seriously only asking lads to answer the question? If not, maybe include lasses too! Not sure why some seem so upset at including women.

Upset enough to insult a fellow knife enthusiast over bringing it up apparently...

I don't know if there are specific knives that everyone should own, but I will say that the most overlooked category, IMO, is kitchen knives--probably the most used knives contemporary folks own. I highly recommend folks treating themselves to a nice block o' kitchen knives... you won't regret it.

Why does it matter? Would you look at my opinion on knives in all these discussions differently?

Clearly a change in how we use language to convey meaning is difficult for some to confront, especially in a male dominated hobby.

Or do we think the op is seriously only asking lads to answer the question? If not, maybe include lasses too! Not sure why some seem so upset at including women.

Upset enough to insult a fellow knife enthusiast over bringing it up apparently...

I haven't insulted anyone.

You do seem a little on edge.

20210227-110652.jpg

I haven't insulted anyone.

You do seem a little on edge.

20210227-110652.jpg

Got any insight on the topic?

I've already said why I'm not listing my top 10 knives I think people should own, seems like it would just be a list of my favorite 10 knives and the reasoning, which could get quite in depth! Do you want to read a novel!

I did say that I think the Endura line of FRN folders from Spyderco is something every person should experience though. What say you Bill?

I don't know if there are specific knives that everyone should own, but I will say that the most overlooked category, IMO, is kitchen knives--probably the most used knives contemporary folks own. I highly recommend folks treating themselves to a nice block o' kitchen knives... you won't regret it.
True, the knives I use most are in the kitchen! I guess I could round out a top ten list with those pretty easy, but again, it would be specific to what I own.

There isn't a lot you can't handle day to day with a good pairing knife and chef's knife combo!

Knives pictured are the CPK Potato/Veggie Knife, NorthArm Trillium, and the Becker/Esee kitchen knives. These do 99% of my kitchen duty which is about 90% of my knife tasks.

Ae7vZYph.jpg

JH1Y3lfh.jpg

6wFmpFGh.jpg

EbOiFnBh.jpg

0ZetmD4h.jpg

o8CqhI2h.jpg

Last edited:
Back