Top 10 blades everyone should own

In no particular order

1. Buck 110/112
  2. Spyderco delica
  3. Benchmade 940
  4. SAK Huntsman, Tinker or similar
  5. Case Trapper or Stockman
  6. Kephart - ESEE PR4, Beckart, custom, etc.
  7. Mora Companion, 511, or one of the basic wood handle models
  8. Rapala fillet knife
  9. 8 inch Chef knife
  10. Good bread knife

And here is that list in photos. Because we like photos. ;)

1) Buck 110

fWc2kMi.jpg

2) Swiss Army Knife

iF9RCG7.jpg

3) Mercator K55K

GuoKZKj.jpg

4) Benchmade 710

2WKUGz3.jpg

5) Spyderco Manix 2

YwTaCHc.jpg

6) Fällkniven F1

hDs46wD.jpg

7) Kephart

4WLvT1n.jpg

8) Nessmuk

8jypIo7.jpg

9) Scandi fixed blade

7Drcm4W.jpg

10) Becker BK-9

BfePyim.jpg

:cool:
That is a beautiful 9. The finish, scales, sheath and everything.

In no particular order:
BUCK 110 OR 112
BUCK 119
BUCK VANTAGE S30V MY EDC
Buck Vangard S30v
KOSTNER Bushmaster 3v
WHITE River Ursus s35vn
BARK River Aurora A2
MORA companion Heavy duty scandi
Kabar Turoc 1095 crovan
EESE LASER Strike 1095
BUCK PRO 656 S35VN
OOOOPS SORRY COULD NOT STOP AT 10
ALSO I GOTTA HAVE A SMALL UNDER 3 INCH BIRD/TROUT BLADE FOR MY SQUIRRELS IN SK5....DARN I HAVE TOO MANY KNIFES LOL

I don't know. I rock a Buck 110 aluminum drop point 420HC with pocket clip and I'm cool with it. The lock on the 110's is plenty stout and and I don't care if you have to two hand open it and close it. Add a thumb stud which is easy. No, I'm not 80, I'm 39. And I also prefer .357 magnum revolvers to auto's (especially 9mm). I guess Pete would call me "Uncle Randy." I threw all my "super" steel knives in a drawer and there they sit after collecting them for years and seeing no point. Buck's Bos heat treat is all you need and their 420HC or 440C in the 1980-81 110 models is fine. The whole point is ease of sharpening in the field if you have to when you are deep in the rugged mountains backpacking or hunting. I don't want to sit through a sharpening session with some super duper steel. So I'll pair my 110 with an Ontario 1/4" 5160 blade like the RD6/7 or SP51 and call it good. Occasionally I do carry a Gerber 06 Manual in S30V though and maybe a Bear & Sons Bear Song VIII 154CM butterfly knife just for the hell of it.

Hinderer eklipse
ZT 0452
Spyderco PM2
Griptilian
Buck 110
SAK
Cold steel recon 1
Kershaw Leek/Scallion if u can find one
Kershaw Launch 8
ZT 0707

I don't know. I rock a Buck 110 aluminum drop point 420HC with pocket clip and I'm cool with it. The lock on the 110's is plenty stout and and I don't care if you have to two hand open it and close it. Add a thumb stud which is easy. No, I'm not 80, I'm 39. And I also prefer .357 magnum revolvers to auto's (especially 9mm). I guess Pete would call me "Uncle Randy." I threw all my "super" steel knives in a drawer and there they sit after collecting them for years and seeing no point. Buck's Bos heat treat is all you need and their 420HC or 440C in the 1980-81 110 models is fine. The whole point is ease of sharpening in the field if you have to when you are deep in the rugged mountains backpacking or hunting. I don't want to sit through a sharpening session with some super duper steel. So I'll pair my 110 with an Ontario 1/4" 5160 blade like the RD6/7 or SP51 and call it good. Occasionally I do carry a Gerber 06 Manual in S30V though and maybe a Bear & Sons Bear Song VIII 154CM butterfly knife just for the hell of it.
I only own 2 buck 110s...a traditional and an upgraded g10/s30v model, but I gotta say their QC is amazing especially for the price. Perfect centering, no blade play, perfectly even grinds, scary sharp out of the box, and one of, if not the pointiest knives I own (except maybe my launch 8 or 0707). I’m glad to have them both part of my collection.

Introduction: For the hell of curiosity, I decided to add some things up.

Findings: Looks like if you're looking for a knife, the people on this here thread would recommend the following 10 knife makers, and 10 knives, listed in order of prominence using the following format: # of overall mentions - Company Name, (top mentioned knife by that maker, # of knife mentions). Where the company and the knife/knife type are synonymous, it should be obvious.

TOP KNIFE MAKERS
72 – Spyderco (Delica, 16; Paramilitary 2, 13)*
2. 48 – Buck (110 and/or 112, 29)
3. ~41 – Victorinox (SAK, 41 - includes any/all varieties)
4. 23 – Bechmade (Griptillian, 6)
5. 21 – Ka-Bar/Becker (BK-9, 5)
6. ~19 – Mora / Scandinavian-style knife (19+? Includes any brand name/knife type in this category)
7. 19 – Chris Reeve Knives (Sebenza, any type, 14)
8. 17 – ESEE (Izula, 6)
9. 11 – Leatherman (11 - includes any/all varieties)
10. 10(+?) - 'A good kitchen knife'

TOP RECOMMENDED KNIVES**
41 - Swiss Army Knife, any type
2. 29 - Buck 110 or 112
3. ~19 - Mora / Scandanavian-style knife
4. 16 - Spyderco Delica*
5. 14 - Chris Reeve Sebenza, any type
6. 13 - Spyderco Paramilitary 2
7. 11 - Leatherman, any type
8. 10(+?) - 'A good kitchen knife'
9. 9 - An Opinel
10. 6 - TIE: Benchmade Griptillian & ESEE Izula

Top knife maker runners up were as follows, ranked by total mentions:
10 – Kershaw (Blur, 4)
9 – Opinel (9)
9 – Hinderer (XM-18, 6)
8 – Busse
8 – Case
8 – ZT
7 – Carothers
7 - Cold Steel
6 – Microtech

*if I considered Endura/Endela mentions related to Delicas like I did Buck 110/112, the number of Delica/Endura recommendations would be 23; somehow the 110/112 feel more like iterations of the same knife to me than the Delica/Endura, so I didn't. Same deal w/ the Military/PM2/3, which would've been 20 added together. I DID add mentions of others together, like SAKs, Sebenzas, and Leathermen. Because I CAN.

**If you added up all the 'chopper' or 'kephart' mentions etc, that'd be up there too as the runner's up list kinda shows, but splicing this by genre was a step too far in an already hard to justify little project.

Methodology: I tallied most mentions of given knives or knife makers in this thread so far. A lot of responses are difficult to quantify or did not lend themselves to specifics in this way, so I skipped them. A few annoyed me due to facile sexism and/or pleas that this be allowed to be a latently/assumptively sexist space (??? grow up I guess?), or just weird belligerence, so I skipped or selectively tallied from them. Sometimes I added some mentions but not others for a variety of reasons. In short, this is.... not the single most possibly accurate or unbiased list, taken as a strict count. I definitely missed some things, accidentally double counted some things, loosely interpreted some things, failed to combine other things as I watched a movie while doing this. That said, it is strongly representative of the trends on this thread, and I would stand by the conclusions above. Finally, I counted more than are shown there, but didn't include any makers with 5 or fewer mentions. Ofc, anyone else anxiously avoiding their own work tonight is equally free to do their own tally... Anyway, hope this is useful/enjoyable for folks!

Edit: thanks to the OP & other contributors for kicking it off, it's been interesting to read!

Last edited:
Introduction: For the hell of curiosity, I decided to add some things up.

Findings: Looks like if you're looking for a knife, the people on this here thread would recommend the following 10 knife makers, and 10 knives, listed in order of prominence using the following format: # of overall mentions - Company Name, (top mentioned knife by that maker, # of knife mentions). Where the company and the knife/knife type are synonymous, it should be obvious.

TOP KNIFE MAKERS
72 – Spyderco (Delica, 16; Paramilitary 2, 13)*
2. 48 – Buck (110 and/or 112, 29)
3. ~41 – Victorinox (SAK, 41 - includes any/all varieties)
4. 23 – Bechmade (Griptillian, 6)
5. 21 – Ka-Bar/Becker (BK-9, 5)
6. ~19 – Mora / Scandinavian-style knife (19+? Includes any brand name/knife type in this category)
7. 19 – Chris Reeve Knives (Sebenza, any type, 14)
8. 17 – ESEE (Izula, 6)
9. 11 – Leatherman (11 - includes any/all varieties)
10. 10(+?) - 'A good kitchen knife'

TOP RECOMMENDED KNIVES**
41 - Swiss Army Knife, any type
2. 29 - Buck 110 or 112
3. ~19 - Mora / Scandanavian-style knife
4. 16 - Spyderco Delica*
5. 14 - Chris Reeve Sebenza, any type
6. 13 - Spyderco Paramilitary 2
7. 11 - Leatherman, any type
8. 10(+?) - 'A good kitchen knife'
9. 9 - An Opinel
10. 6 - TIE: Benchmade Griptillian & ESEE Izula

Top knife maker runners up were as follows, ranked by total mentions:
10 – Kershaw (Blur, 4)
9 – Opinel (9)
9 – Hinderer (XM-18, 6)
8 – Busse
8 – Case
8 – ZT
7 – Carothers
7 - Cold Steel
6 – Microtech

*if I considered Endura/Endela mentions related to Delicas like I did Buck 110/112, the number of Delica/Endura recommendations would be 23; somehow the 110/112 feel more like iterations of the same knife to me than the Delica/Endura, so I didn't. Same deal w/ the Military/PM2/3, which would've been 20 added together. I DID add mentions of others together, like SAKs, Sebenzas, and Leathermen. Because I CAN.

**If you added up all the 'chopper' or 'kephart' mentions etc, that'd be up there too as the runner's up list kinda shows, but splicing this by genre was a step too far in an already hard to justify little project.

Methodology: I tallied most mentions of given knives or knife makers in this thread so far. A lot of responses are difficult to quantify or did not lend themselves to specifics in this way, so I skipped them. A few annoyed me due to facile sexism and/or pleas that this be allowed to be a latently/assumptively sexist space (??? grow up I guess?), or just weird belligerence, so I skipped or selectively tallied from them. Sometimes I added some mentions but not others for a variety of reasons. In short, this is.... not the single most possibly accurate or unbiased list, taken as a strict count. I definitely missed some things, accidentally double counted some things, loosely interpreted some things, failed to combine other things as I watched a movie while doing this. That said, it is strongly representative of the trends on this thread, and I would stand by the conclusions above. Finally, I counted more than are shown there, but didn't include any makers with 5 or fewer mentions. Ofc, anyone else anxiously avoiding their own work tonight is equally free to do their own tally... Anyway, hope this is useful/enjoyable for folks!

Edit: thanks to the OP & other contributors for kicking it off, it's been interesting to read!
Thanks for taking the time! Really interesting to have a bird’s eye view of the thread.

Spyderco GB 1
Sebenza Large 21/Regular
Benchmade 940
Hinderer XM-18
Fallkniven F1
Rockstead Higo
Grimsmo Norseman
Shirogorov 95T
Umnumzaan
Wilkins Leafstorm Custom

And here is that list in photos. Because we like photos. ;)

1) Buck 110

fWc2kMi.jpg

2) Swiss Army Knife

iF9RCG7.jpg

3) Mercator K55K

GuoKZKj.jpg

4) Benchmade 710

2WKUGz3.jpg

5) Spyderco Manix 2

YwTaCHc.jpg

6) Fällkniven F1

hDs46wD.jpg

7) Kephart

4WLvT1n.jpg

8) Nessmuk

8jypIo7.jpg

9) Scandi fixed blade

7Drcm4W.jpg

10) Becker BK-9

BfePyim.jpg

:cool:
The BK9 customization is pretty sick, but I’m looking at that sheath going “where do I get me one of those?!?!?

Since nobody mentioned it specifically: The SAK Nailclip 580. Granted, the blade is the least-used part of the tool, but it still classifies as a ‘knife’. If you are bearded, you need SAK scissors. Period. I use the clippers for fishing line, hangnails, yet so much more. It’s a fantastic tool to have in your pocket. Way more valuable than the $20 price tag.

I agree with most of the choices put out here, and rock many of them. Some days’ EDC a Delica or Para3, others a Bugout. While I’ve shifted from Leatherman for a few years because of the weight, I still own a few and have been carrying a Skeletool lately. You can’t go wrong with an ESEE, I’ve found the ESEE 4 to be a great hiking companion (especially with small fires). One of my favorite folders/EDC knives is a Native Lightweight (Spyderco). It’s the sound the back lock makes. Inspires confidence. It’s a decent box opener, yet you can choke-up on the blade to do real work out in the woods. It’s probably been 40 years since I’ve owned a 110. Might have to pick one up again after reading this post.

Ok-here’s mine:
(1)-Spyderco Caribbean
(2)-Spyderco Manix2 lw
(3)-Spyderco Dfly2 Salt
(4)-Protech Malibu
(5)-Quiet Carry Drift
(6)-Quiet Carry Waypoint
(7)-CRK Mnandi
(8)-Civivi Baby Banter
(9)-Victorinox Minichamp
(10)-Victorinox Ranger

The knives could number more or less for me
They need to
Fit my hand
Fit the purpose
Fit my eye
Minimum..a CRK, Olamic,Shiro,Laguiole and fixed Cheburkov.

Last edited:
My list as of today, subject change at anytime is

An everyday edc: Benchmade Bugout or Spyderco Para Military 3-LTW

An all weather virtual rust proof knife: Spyderco Caribbean or Quiet Carry Waypoint

A Sak: Victorinox Swiss Army Ranger, Handyman or CyberTool

A multitool: Leatherman Charge + TTi or Wave, Victorinox Swiss tool Spirit

A family heirloom quality edc: Shirogorov 95, Koenig Arius, CRK Sebenza 31 or Olamic Wayfarer 247

A hard use edc: Hinderer XM-18 3.5 or ZT 562

A Buscrafter fixed blade: Barkriver, EESE, Fallkniven or Winkler

A Scandinavian Forest Axe: Gransfors Bruks

A 270mm chef’s knife: Suisin Inox Honyaki Wa-Gyuto SANDVIK19C27 or Yoshikane Hammer Finished Wa-Gyuto SKD

Either a food prep edc; Spyderco SpydieChef or Liong Mah KUF EDC V4.0 or a 150mm petty knife: Yoshikane Hammer Finished Fruit/Petty SKD

Opinel 6-9
Sak something
Sodbuster made by somebody
Ontario RAT folder
Something flat and hollow ground by Spyderco
Scandi/ flat ground Mora
Flat ground Victorinox chef or butcher
Victorinox parer
Kai/Shun, Chef/ Santoku
Something Ceramic by Kyocera
If you use these knives, regularly, learn to sharpen and maintain them.
They will teach about cutting and edge geometry, without breaking the bank...
Then you can develop an informed opinion about what you like and what you hate, what works and what sucks, what you want more or less of in a design...
Fancy, cutting edge, latest and greatest
Materials, steels...this is for, those of us that have deep pockets😉

Spyderco Yojumbo!
K55 Mercator - the classic backlock
Buck 110 - the newer backlock, better brand than Case
Opinel no. 8
Mora 120 or 122, Companion if not a carver
Uhh, SAK! A Fieldmaster or Camper or something!
Spyderco Matriarch 2.
Spyderco Gayle Bradley folder (2) even though I don't have one
Higonokami
Microtech!
Douk-Douk

Back