TOPS knives, How good are they?

I've been looking for some time now into getting a fixed blade survival type knife. I've looked through the whole RAT RC line and I will certainly be purchasing one, likely an RC-4 or RC-6, or both ;) . BUT I was surfing through the net and found this. http://newgraham.com/store/product/6183/Moccasin-Ranger-Black-PE/ I really like the way it looks, and to be honest it seems alot like RAT knives. I know that TOPS knives were manufactured by ROWEN previously, the same as RAT is now, but it is my understanding that they split ways recently. Are they quality knives? Anybody have any experience? Thanks for any help!!1

mmmm, I think I'll just stick to what I know is good ;) better to spend the money on a RAT :D

Jeff Randall spent a while in the Amazon with a couple TOPS knives and if I'm not mistaken, only had good things to say about them. I also remember reading somewhere that he has a TOPS knife in his BOB.

TOPS has some wild designs and they may be a little pricey for some, but I don't think anyone questions that they make good solid blades.

VR4 said it perfectly.

Some of their designs are indeed far out there, but so what? I own a few TOPS, one a grim ripper. Silly name, but its a quality piece, and certainly would fulfill its purpose.

I have a TOPS Tom Brown Tracker, after re-profiling the blade, and getting a better sheath, i'm happy with it

TOPS knives are very good knives.
RAT knives are very good knives.

Get the design you want and forget about who makes it.

If you sift through the TOPS models you can find some quite nice ones. The Shango for instance, is a fantastic little necker. :)

I prefer my Tops over my busse. 1095 steel holds a good edge, and easy to sharpen. Also Tops does a killer heat treat

The marketing and names turn a lot of People off but Tops makes great knives. They make a ton of different models and I'd grab a tops and hit the woods, anytime.

Also, what tops does really well: handles. Great handles, great shape and materials. I'm a guy more interested in the handle than the name or the steel.

I really like the looks of that Wild Boar Hunter. I might give Tops another chance and add one to my full Ti ZT 0452 order. I did sell my Brothers of Bushcraft.

Love tops. I was shocked at how easy their 1095 was to sharpen. Some of their knives are very good. Some like the BOB are practical and well recieved. Some are designed by a grizzled ex vet with a useless set of features. Like a special nose picker attatchment, but it only works on asian noses.

Still everything they make is good quality. I find some of their grinds to be abit obtuse. Even my tops BOB is WAY thicker than it needs to be.

they are very nice "sharpened prybars" in that they will stand up to abuse, prying, batoning and all wild uses, being thick and heavy as a result.

Their 1095 is spot-on and their handles praised a lot, plus their warranty seems to be very nice and the variety of designs wide and big.
Some of the collabs are a bit too gimmicky and some models' names a bit too "tactical operator" but they are serviceable, sturdy blades for the most part

I had a Back Bite back when Rowan was doing the heat treat. Deffinitely a quality piece. Fit and finish were spot on. It didn't come as sharp as I prefer, but it took a shaving edge quickly on the sharpmaker. I've also had the chance to put a friend's newer Steel Eagle to good use around the camp mostly processing wood and it functioned well in that role. They seem to have a lot in common quality-wise with ESEE. I'd say you can't go wrong, they're a solid brand at a good price.

Yes, TOPS makes good knives. Some of their designs are a bit wacky but the materials and heat treat have always been high quality. If you see one you like, try it.

Back