TOPS Wilderness Guide

Mistwalker

Gold Member
A few weeks ago I ordered a TOPS Wilderness Guide because from the specs it looked to be a perfect candidate for a kit I am putting together for a friend who is moving to Taos New Mexico for an internship and will be spending a lot of time in remote areas the Santa Fe National Forest. I wanted something tough but not too heavy, something with a secure purchase for the hand without being roughly textured and uncomfortable in long term use, and something that would be just as at home prepping meals in a cabin as out wandering trails. I can't help but play around with pretty much any knife I get my hands on, so since I have seen where so many have expressed the opinion of wishing TOPS would do some thinner knives and higher grinds I thought I'd photograph my use of this knife and do a review. I haven't put it through any abusive tests, just general utility uses, and I still think it's perfect for what I was going for.

The knife in hand.

DSC_1418.jpg

DSC_1419.jpg

DSC_1522.jpg

DSC_1536.jpg

DSC_1424.jpg

DSC_1426.jpg

The specs as taken from the TOPS website.

O/A Length: 8 3/4”
Blade Length: 4 1/4”
Thickness: 1/8”
Steel: 1095 High carbon Steel RC 56-58
Handle: Tan Canvas Micarta
Blade Color: Black Traction Coating
Sheath: COYOTE TAN BALLISTIC NYLON, WITH REMOVABLE FLAP
Weight w/ Sheath: 10.7oz
Weight w/o Sheath: 6.5oz
Designed by: Leo Espinoza
BLADE AND HANDLE 101% MADE IN USA

I like the flap type sheath this knife comes with. It is molle capable for attaching to vests, packs, or water bottle carriers, and has a loop for belt carry. I like the flap cover, but it is removable for those who do not. The knife also comes with a few extra goodies: a compass, a very loud whistle, a small signal mirror, some trail marking ribbon, and a snap ring.

DSC_1432.jpg

DSC_1436.jpg

DSC_1404.jpg

DSC_1427.jpg

DSC_1398-1.jpg

DSC_1401.jpg

The knife has a neutral balance point, good for long term use in general utility functions.

DSC_1417.jpg

Out of the box the knife had an extremely sharp edge So the first thing I did was see how it handled whittling. The handle offers a very secure purchase, and the cutting edge is just in front of the handle so getting the pressure where it was needed and controlling the edge were really easy to do.

DSC_1420.jpg

DSC_1524c.jpg

The person I had in mind when I picked out this knife is not exactly the type to be roasting crickets...

DSC_1441.jpg

Much more likely to be making home cooked meals and sandwiches and maybe some freeze dried foods in the field. So, thought I'd play around in the kitchen a little bit. Even though the knife has a blade shorter than the block of turkey I was cutting on it still managed the task just fine. Dividing a small tomatoe between three people was no trouble either.

DSC_9330.jpg

DSC_9331.jpg

DSC_9338.jpg

DSC_9340.jpg

DSC_9347.jpg

DSC_9343.jpg

I'm not sure of the terrain in Taos NM, I've never been there. Here in my woods we have some vicious brier vines than can be very annoying at times. Holding the knife in a rearward grip snap cuts through them are a breeze with the thin sharp blade.

DSC_1538.jpg

DSC_1546.jpg

That same rearward grip worked well for quickly chopping through some seasoned deadwood branches when I decided to try a little carving and made a couple of L-7 trap triggers.

DSC_1017.jpg

The thin blade and high grind made push-cutting into the twigs to ring-and-break them an easy task. I like this method because it exposes the edge to less of the dulling abrasion of slicing. The very sharp edge made quick work of the notching and the two triggers were finished very quickly.

DSC_0985.jpg

DSC_0986.jpg

DSC_0988.jpg

DSC_0989.jpg

DSC_0990.jpg

DSC_0991.jpg

DSC_0995.jpg

DSC_1004.jpg

DSC_1005.jpg

DSC_1007.jpg

Another thing I played around with was some Yucca and making a two-stick heart board. The thin sharp edge sliced through the yucca like it hardly noticed it was there. Using the amount of paracord in a paracord bracelet, making a fire bow set up would be easy. The bow in these photos is one I already had on hand, but making another could easily be done with this knife.

DSC_0924.jpg

DSC_0942.jpg

DSC_0943.jpg

DSC_0949.jpg

DSC_0950.jpg

DSC_0951.jpg

DSC_0953.jpg

DSC_0960.jpg

DSC_0982.jpg

Even using the very fibrous Yucca stalks fine curls were easily achieved

DSC_0966.jpg

DSC_0969.jpg

DSC_0970.jpg

Granted in a more northern wilderness the knife would, like most others out there, need to be augmented by a heavier chopping tool to deal with a harsh winter, but for general utility in a wilderness environment I think the knife does very well.

DSC_1020.jpg

That knife is a bit funky looking but it appeals to me. Looks like it would make a great backpacking/camp knife especially leaning toward food prep. And I love those thin but wide blades :thumbup:

I know it's a great review when it makes me want the knife even more now :D

How comfortable is that handle? The knife looks like a winner, I am just not sure about the handle on it. Any noticeable hotspots on it?

Great review as always Mist, I love the way you always include some skills in there as well!

Just do me a favour and stop finding more knives for me to want. Please?

Claudiasboris

That knife is a bit funky looking but it appeals to me. Looks like it would make a great backpacking/camp knife especially leaning toward food prep. And I love those thin but wide blades :thumbup:

I know it's a great review when it makes me want the knife even more now :D

That's the same thing I thought when I first looked at it, but in thinking that Taos is up in the mountains I thought the handle should offer a secure purchase even with cold and fatigued hands. It's actually comfortable in grip and in use though. It works better at a cutting board than most of my other knives and that was another feature I liked the looks of it for.

How comfortable is that handle? The knife looks like a winner, I am just not sure about the handle on it. Any noticeable hotspots on it?

I know, as a general rule finger grooves limit the number of people who will be comfortable using a knife. But I happen to like having a first finger notch and have used them on my own designs because of that. On this knife I like that it has a well defined first finger notch and that the second notch is well rounded and barely there. It is for me, just enough texture to get a good grip without being overly busy and uncomfortable. The edges of the scales are well rounded over and the turn down pommel is as comfortable on the heal of the palm as it is useful in a rearward grip. I haven't exactly carved any spoons or wooden toys with it, but I haven't experienced any hot spots in the whittling and carving I have done.

Great review as always Mist, I love the way you always include some skills in there as well!

Just do me a favour and stop finding more knives for me to want. Please?

Claudiasboris

Thanks Claudias, glad you enjoyed it. I think that the skills help put to the knife into a better context for uses, so I'm glad folks like that.

Sorry man, I just like playing with knives and cameras....

Another great review! This one looks like it might be my first TOPS!
They make so many knives it is hard to choose one to try out.

You sure do like your TOPS .This is one I have looked at before. I would like to try the handle. Thanks for the very nice review. The next time I buy a TOPS I will check for your review or ask you.

Another great review! This one looks like it might be my first TOPS!
They make so many knives it is hard to choose one to try out.

Thanks man. Yeah, they do make several designs.

You sure do like your TOPS .This is one I have looked at before. I would like to try the handle. Thanks for the very nice review. The next time I buy a TOPS I will check for your review or ask you.

Well...it's not like I don't have and like SKW, Beckers, RAT/ESEE, DPx, Ontario, SAKs, FBF, Breeden, and others...but yes, admittedly, I do have a fondness for TOPS Knives. I do seem to have a thing for heavy duty knives that are what many consider to be over-built.

Hey Mist.

Nice review. I really respect that you are willing to try new models and post your experiences without forum input first. That is an interesting model. If it was a full flat grind I would give it a try. The Pasayten Lite looks good too. have you tried that one? Also, have you tried the SOG Force yet?

I live in Albuquerque, NM. About 2 1/2 hrs away from Taos. I am ass over teakettle in love with Taos. I get up there every chance I get. Already told my wife that we're moving to Taos when I get my degree. (she replies, "you might.")
Based on my time up there, and naturally the reputation of TOPS That knife will serve your friend perfectly well in Taos.
Tell your friend to check out the Taos Diner when he gets into town.

I've always liked Tops products, never seen this one before. Thanks for the review, looks like a useful blade.

Hey Mist.

Nice review. I really respect that you are willing to try new models and post your experiences without forum input first. That is an interesting model. If it was a full flat grind I would give it a try. The Pasayten Lite looks good too. have you tried that one? Also, have you tried the SOG Force yet?

Thanks. I have 1/8 knives with flat grinds and with scandi grinds. I like how the flat grinds slice and how the scandi grinds have less flex. I was thinking this would be somewhere in between and I was right. It has less flex than my flats and slices better than my scandis. I do need to try a Pasayten out, that's for sure. No, haven't tried the Force, but as much as I hate to admit it the new style Demo really has my attention.

Great review as always Mist. Now you got me lookin----again !!! LOL :D

Thanks man. Hey, styles, geometries, and steel types are more diverse now than ever before, if you're not looking you never know what's out there :)

Another GREAT Review

Thanks Mist!!!

Thanks Bill! Gad you enjoyed the post!

I live in Albuquerque, NM. About 2 1/2 hrs away from Taos. I am ass over teakettle in love with Taos. I get up there every chance I get. Already told my wife that we're moving to Taos when I get my degree. (she replies, "you might.")
Based on my time up there, and naturally the reputation of TOPS That knife will serve your friend perfectly well in Taos.
Tell your friend to check out the Taos Diner when he gets into town.

Thanks man, if you live that close I have a few questions for you I'll send you in a PM. Apparently your wife doesn't share your infatuation eh? Taos Diner, got it.

I've always liked Tops products, never seen this one before. Thanks for the review, looks like a useful blade.

TOPS makes some great stuff. Not all is tactical in design either. They makes some hunters and skinners too, and I have plans to play with a few of those at slaughter time on a friend's farm this coming autumn.

Thanks for a very well thought out and photographed review! I own a few TOPS blades myself and have yet to be disappointed. I particularly like my MIL- SPIE 3 and use it in much the same way you do the Wilderness Guide.

Back