Torn on if I should

i am having some very serious thoughts about taking my Nuked V8 and having someone use it to make me a spear!

Was thinking carbon fiber for the shaft and an end capon the other end. I think the blade shape and length of the V8 would make a really great spear blade while I’d leave the flares where the handle is to give me a place to grip close up.

Think it will mostly depend on if I can find someone to do it and what it would cost

Wouldn't be a hard project, except for your carbon fiber idea. I've never seen solidscarbon fiber rod bigger than 3/8", tubing is available but 1.5" diameter tubing would be very expensive and probably wouldn't hold up.

G-10 or fiberglass would be a much better material, you could even use a fiberglass shovel handle and have a nice taper built in.

~Chip

RSK and MBB built a couple with Carbon Fiber shafts. Light weight and tough. Fiberglass, I would def avoid because of splintering. G10 was a though, but I wasn’t sure how it would be weight wise.

Wonder what micarta would weigh? Grip would be really nice.

RSK and MBB built a couple with Carbon Fiber shafts. Light weight and tough. Fiberglass, I would def avoid because of splintering. G10 was a though, but I wasn’t sure how it would be weight wise.

Wonder what micarta would weigh? Grip would be really nice.
If you have ever actually tested carbon fiber to destruction you would know it is even worse than fiberglass as far as splintering. It's not tough, just very stiff for it's weight.

Don’t do it. You’ll thank me later when it’s worth twice what you paid.
Yea but I’m not big on flipping my stuff if/when I do sell it. I feel guilty about it.

Hell I have people contacting me frequently about the MOASS but I just can’t sell it even though I know I could make some cash off of it

Thought about grabbing a comp finish one to do it, but they are going for more than I’m willing to pay for a project like this

If you have ever actually tested carbon fiber to destruction you would know it is even worse than fiberglass as far as splintering. It's not tough, just very stiff for it's weight.
Nope never have. Was just PONDERING the whole thing in my head. Maybe some type of wrap for it?

Nope never have. Was just PONDERING the whole thing in my head. Maybe some type of wrap for it?
Or use a material suited for the application...like a fiberglass shovel handle. Ever seen one broken?

Yup I have broken them on splitting maul/axe handles as a kid chopping up firewood
I specifically said shovel. I have seen many axe/maul handles damaged by overstrikes fail as well, but that's not what I asked.

I'm sure the RSK/MBB carbon handles look great on a wall, but I seriously doubt they would hold up to any real use. But hey, if you just want pretty feel free to ignore my advice.:rolleyes:

OK now that I’ve thought about it you should do it. And while you’re at it go out and buy a Ferrari disassemble that and turn it into a lawn mower. That would be cool.o_O

I specifically said shovel. I have seen many axe/maul handles damaged by overstrikes fail as well, but that's not what I asked.

I'm sure the RSK/MBB carbon handles look great on a wall, but I seriously doubt they would hold up to any real use. But hey, if you just want pretty feel free to ignore my advice.:rolleyes:

Never used a fiber glass handled shovel, used wood ones on our land growing up, but don’t know why it would be much different than the others. Mostly with throwing and such, I figure the impacts would be similar as missed axe strikes.

OK now that I’ve thought about it you should do it. And while you’re at it go out and buy a Ferrari disassemble that and turn it into a lawn mower. That would be cool.o_O

But what’s the point of a pretty blade that’s just locked away and stared at? I don’t have any tools that I don’t or wouldn’t use. A spear would be fun.

Dave's idea of a sacrificial CG is a great one because the draw to the Nuked V8's & 14's are the handles...and you'd be ruining or compromising them if I'm correctly picturing what your dream is .

But if you would remove the handles you'd have a great spearhead with your choice of attachment points already there >>> 3 tube holes plus the talon holes, plus the pommel hole.

What I think would be outstanding is if you could easily remove the V8 from the shaft to use as a dagger. However that might make your spear more clunky rather than svelte and streamlined. And that's just my take on your vision.... this is your thread, and your dream. Go for it!

do it to a combat grade or CF one first.
solid goralite (G-10's other name) rod and tube is available at McMaster Carr, carbon fiber may be too brittle.

https://www.mcmaster.com/garolite
I was thinking of a CF one but all the pricing on them are just nuts and don’t want to do it so bad that I would pay inflated prices. Just wish I had thought about it when they first released

Dave's idea of a sacrificial CG is a great one because the draw to the Nuked V8's & 14's are the handles...and you'd be ruining or compromising them if I'm correctly picturing what your dream is .

But if you would remove the handles you'd have a great spearhead with your choice of attachment points already there >>> 3 tube holes plus the talon holes, plus the pommel hole.

What I think would be outstanding is if you could easily remove the V8 from the shaft to use as a dagger. However that might make your spear more clunky rather than svelte and streamlined. And that's just my take on your vision.... this is your thread, and your dream. Go for it!
Yea the existing attachment points is what really had me thinking about it. It’s really almost perfect without scales

Ok, so this is how I would do it.;
Drill out the hollow tubes without damaging scales. Remove scales.
Get some sort of tough wood pole, like fir. 1.5" diameter. Sand it down in the center to fit your hands.
cut a slot into the pole the size of your tang.
stick the knife tang into the slot and drill holes into wood to match the holes in the tang of the knife.
3 bolts will secure the tang to the pole.
Then get paracord and rap the whole thing using the talon holes as securing points.
Get a heavy metal water pipe cap, drill it and secure it to the opposite end to balance the pole.
You can then buy corby bolts and re install your old handles whenever you want to carry the knife.

Ok, so this is how I would do it.;
Drill out the hollow tubes without damaging scales. Remove scales.
Get some sort of tough wood pole, like fir. 1.5" diameter. Sand it down in the center to fit your hands.
cut a slot into the pole the size of your tang.
stick the knife tang into the slot and drill holes into wood to match the holes in the tang of the knife.
3 bolts will secure the tang to the pole.
Then get paracord and rap the whole thing using the talon holes as securing points.
Get a heavy metal water pipe cap, drill it and secure it to the opposite end to balance the pole.
You can then buy corby bolts and re install your old handles whenever you want to carry the knife.
I like how you think

Back