Toughest multitool on the market?

I always have loved my Leatherman's but I was using my Leatherman Blast the other night and I was putting on a scope for my rifle and was using the small flat head screw driver bit to tighten the screws and I wasn't putting hardly any pressure on the screws at all and the bit broke. That kind of disappointed me. Anyway, I still love Leathermans's. Ill send my Blast back to get fixed or Ill just sharpen the small flat head bit and make a Leather punch out of it. Still, I was shocked that it broke so easily.

I've just done similar to the small driver on my Kick. Great size, very well formed but a bit brittle I think. I found it was pretty easy to reshape the tip back, it's just a 1/4" shorter now.:(

Another vote for the Swisstool. Ive got Gerber, Lm and Vic multitools, and the Swisstool is the toughest followed by LM.

honestly i have far more experience with gerber than i do the rest. when i was younger i had less $$ but i did more outside stuff.. i never had a gerber break on me. NEVER.. for the $$ they are worth the price.. i used to beat the snot out of them too. used them in salty areas of NC as well.. dunked, covered in sand and they still work like a charm with some tiny tiny rust spots.. they are 10 yrs old. i think its the gerber radius. its big but i love them... I have SOG multitool but i have not used it enough to really compare to the gerber.. i do like my SOG though

I remember somebody is coming up with a multi tool with pliers machined from bar stock rather than cast. That's gotta be the toughest.

I think I heard that the pliers for the AR Multitasker are drop-forged as opposed to being cast.

Hello to all. New to this forum.

I've owned and used Leatherman and Gerber in the past and have never been let down by either. Now however I use a SOG PowerLock. I also have a PowerAssist but don't use it much. It has two knife blades accessable without opening the tool. They are also assisted opening.

The PowerLock has a leverage increasing design that works very well. The BEST thing about the tool is the ability to switch out the individual tools within the multi-tool. I've worked in communications most of my life and have bought the types of tools that fit that field. Wire strippers, etc. That in itself makes the SOG multi-tools very desirable. I recommend SOG multi-tools above any and all others I've ever used but that recommendation applies only to their multi-tools.

Jack

I have used leathermans, gerbers, sogs, etc. The toughest one in my mind is the old schrade tough tool. It had the most comfortable pliers of all of them. Plus it has pretty decent blades also. Its very thick stainless steel, heavy duty, and tough. I used to edc it for several years at work when I was younger. Where I work now, there are no knives allowed, plus I dont have the need for them at my current job. But if and when I get another job where I can, its coming with me.

I broke the pliers on the only Leatherman I ever had. I took it into their offices in Portland and they immediatly replaced it so that says something for them. It broke so easily I wouldn't trust them again and gave the replacement to my ex-wife.
I've had Sog's for years since then and haven't had any problem with them.

I pretty much think it is the Core, but as others have said, The ST 300, SwissTool, Surge/Wave, Blast, SOG Powerlock, some of the Gerber tools.... all work, but some live up to ABUSE better then others.

honestly i have far more experience with gerber than i do the rest. when i was younger i had less $$ but i did more outside stuff.. i never had a gerber break on me. NEVER.. for the $$ they are worth the price.. i used to beat the snot out of them too. used them in salty areas of NC as well.. dunked, covered in sand and they still work like a charm with some tiny tiny rust spots.. they are 10 yrs old. i think its the gerber radius. its big but i love them... I have SOG multitool but i have not used it enough to really compare to the gerber.. i do like my SOG though

I totally agree. Had my MP600 for years as my main multitool at work and it held up just fine. Only reason i didnt choose it, is that it dosent have any hard wire notches. If you try to cut something hard, itll deform the cuting edge. Other than that, its great. I hope Gerber has fixed that.

4179415870_4579cf319a.jpg

I think I heard that the pliers for the AR Multitasker are drop-forged as opposed to being cast.

They are machined on a wire EDM.

I've been looking at getting a Charge AL, but if Multitasker had a non-AR specific MT I would be getting it. The build quality looks amazing from the pictures floating around the web.

They are machined on a wire EDM.

I've been looking at getting a Charge AL, but if Multitasker had a non-AR specific MT I would be getting it. The build quality looks amazing from the pictures floating around the web.

They did say a general purpose version is coming.

Hi all, been following this forum for a long time but this is my first post. I appreaciate the wealth of knowledge in this group.

I prefer tools w/ replaceable blades/jaws like KAI A100, SOG PL, Gerber legend, etc. I'm going to abuse the tool and break something. Some Gerber’s have indexable/replaceable wire cutters as well.

I too am in search of a new multi tool. I'm a huge fan of KAI/Kershaw A100 locking tool. It's been out of production for years and the Ebay supply is getting slim. I've had one of these on my side since I bought my first from Snap-On years ago. The tool has its faults but I never found a suitable replacement. I own various multi-tools from Leatherman, Gerber, SOG, Vic. All great tools but no locking plier. I also have a LM Crunch, Schrade ST6, and Toolbox. Interesting designs but they are not on par w/ the A100 and take two hands to use.

A100's aren't the toughest tools on the planet and I abuse them (use them as a gasket scraper, welding clamp, pry bar, hammer, etc.) I'm on my 9th one now and its made out of parts from previous tools that I broke or wore out. The tool is assembled w/ screws so any part can be replaced. Does anyone know of an equiv locking multitool?

LM ST300 has replaceable 154CM wire cutter blades. What more could you want?

Over 13 years and several Leathermen in different sizes I haven't needed to do more than touch up the wire cutters on any. Interchangable file and saw blades for the Surge mean more to me.

I have an original supertool but not the 300. The original is a nice tool but the 300 has some nice features. I should have waited a few months.

Has anyone tried a Gerber Grappler yet? Is it tough enough to take real use?

Last edited:
Hi all, been following this forum for a long time but this is my first post. I appreaciate the wealth of knowledge in this group.

I prefer tools w/ replaceable blades/jaws like KAI A100, SOG PL, Gerber legend, etc. I'm going to abuse the tool and break something. Some Gerber’s have indexable/replaceable wire cutters as well.

I too am in search of a new multi tool. I'm a huge fan of KAI/Kershaw A100 locking tool. It's been out of production for years and the Ebay supply is getting slim. I've had one of these on my side since I bought my first from Snap-On years ago. The tool has its faults but I never found a suitable replacement. I own various multi-tools from Leatherman, Gerber, SOG, Vic. All great tools but no locking plier. I also have a LM Crunch, Schrade ST6, and Toolbox. Interesting designs but they are not on par w/ the A100 and take two hands to use.

A100's aren't the toughest tools on the planet and I abuse them (use them as a gasket scraper, welding clamp, pry bar, hammer, etc.) I'm on my 9th one now and its made out of parts from previous tools that I broke or wore out. The tool is assembled w/ screws so any part can be replaced. Does anyone know of an equiv locking multitool?

I don't know of a "locking" MT like vise grips. The closest thing I know of is the Spyderco MT with an adjustable wrench (cresent wrench). It doesn't lock really but does adjust so you don't have to squeeze the pliers to hold a nut. Not very often but once in a while I'll have the Spyderco and my SOG PowerLock with me at the same time. Those two MTs together provide almost a toolbox equivelent of variety.

Jack

Back