Toughest multitool on the market?

I have the Gerber 400, I carry It every day and use it often. I've had it for about 8 years. I love the fact that its small without being too small. Perfect for edc.
Its a good basic tool. I use the pliers the wire cutter and the screwdrivers the most and occationally the knife.

It's not for heavy duity use, but if thats what you need it for don't buy this one. Look at the Gerber Diesel or a SOG, Letherman, or or a good SAK. They are bigger and weigh more though.

i used to have that one as well until someone stole it (or more likely i lost it:D).. i loved that particular one compared to the radius bc it was smaller and lighter and more compact bc of the retractable pliers. i hate i cant find that one. i had and used that one for 5-7yrs before it was "stolen" from me:D

are you looking for the 600 one usa made?? I found some at the knife and gun show in orlando fl. the come with a benchmade strap cutter. some how I think these are miltary supplus. $60.00. I looked on the net and I found that they where selling for $102.00 plus shipping and that is with out the strap cutter. they both have there own pouches and the plyers have the cutter that you can rotate and change when of if it brakes at all.

Sog Power lock pretty damn good

I agree completely. Their multi-tools are the best I've used. I have the PowerLock and PowerAssist. I've put the needle nose pliers through anything I have a regular pair through with no problems. The knife blades on the PowerAssist aren't as strong as I like so I carry the PowerLock when I carry a multi-tool. But if you don't need many items (tools) in your multi-tool and want knife blades accessable without opening the tool the PowerAssist is very nice. I like that you can replace each item in the tool yourself to have one that meets your needs better than the "stock" items that come with it. I've used Leatherman and Gerber and like both. My choice would be SOG though in the multi-tool department.

Jack

of all the multitools I have owned (SOG, Gerber, Swisstool, Leatherman)...the leatherman Charge TTi is by far the best MT I have ever owned. It is extremely tough and well built. The locks are exceptional and I use it as my EDC along with my Large Sebenza. Completely satisfied and worth the money!

Over the years, I owned/used almost all the tools mentioned( except Victorinox ). I've had Gerbers, Leatherman, SOG and Schrade. All had thier +/-. SOG Powertool is probably the toughest, but it's also the heavest. Gerbers are great for the size. I really like my Gerber Fishtool!!! Leatherman seems (to me) to be the best balance of weight/size/tools/etc. But I did have to send my Leatherman Sideclip back after twisting the pliers.
If you take the time to pick the tool that best suits your needs, I doubt you could go wrong with any of the ones mentioned here.
Just my $0.02 worth.:D

We are working on an enhanced version of the billet pliers with replaceable wire cutter inserts made with Daido DC53 - hope to debut them @ SHOT 2011 in January; the manner in which the inserts are mounted is totally different than the arrangement used by both Leatherman and Gerber.

DC53 blades are also a possibility.

I have Waves , and looking at your pictures your tools look like a very nice quality piece. I will be watching out for the cavilian model:thumbup:

Thinking it isn't Gerber, saw plenty of the one's issued by the Army break. Then again the same guys who were breaking Gerbers I'm sure would have found a way to break any multi-tool.

Yea I was issued a Gerber before my deployment to Iraq in 2003, I gave the Gerber away and carried a Leatherman Wave the entire tour.

I've used the Gerber flip open one for a few years. Because I carried a slippy, I didn't mind the knife opening on the inside. When you need that knife though, tools that open the knives on the inside, the handle gets in the way of cutting.

Back