Trading Post Knives?

njr

Wasn't aware I couldn't include a link to someone who didn't pay the website here so I'll just post again without the link since apparently my question was totally deleted.

I'm thinking of getting a traditional fur trade style knife since the mother's side of the family was from that part of the world.

Would probably just keep the knife in my everyday carry bagone respondent to my question mentioned that it looked like the knives were from Pakistan.

I was thinking maybe they're just reenactors knives not for real use however was wondering if say the roach belly style knives they have or even the traditional recreations the rougher ones are worth buying or is there some other outlet or maker I should be looking at? Thanks in advance

I should also mention that this would just be a utility knife a steak knife that sort of thing. Looking for about a 5 to 6 in Blade fixed possibly folding but.....

Sorry, I should have been clearer in my comment. Any reference to a non paying dealer is against the intent of the guidelines.

Here's a link to those guidelines, Vendor Links, Referrals & Endorsements. They are stickied on the first page of this sub forum.

Personally I'd look at the Dexter Russell - Green River knives and see if something there looks good to you. Since they are a manufacturer I can reference them here. I don't have any personal experience with them, but I've read good things over the years.

I'm required to edit your thread title to keep the thread here.
Thanks.

Personally I'd look at the Dexter Russell - Green River knives and see if something there looks good to you. Since they are a manufacturer I can reference them here. I don't have any personal experience with them, but I've read good things over the years.

I'm required to edit your thread title to keep the thread here.
Thanks.

The green river knives are great in my limited experience, and little has really changed about the green river knives since back in the fur trade era when Green river works was founded.

The green river ripper blade would be exactly the style of knife you were looking at , though the blade is only 4".
The drop point belt knife would also be a great choice though the blade is only 4-7/8".

You can get the knives many places with the standard handles, or for cheap you can get the kit from Jantz supply that comes with the blade rivets and their choice of some nice wood scales.

Personally that's the route I would go because stuff like this makes a great fun afternoon project.

Good suggestion, Gary. You can also purchase Russell/Green River blade blanks for a reasonable price and add your own handles. I did three back in Feb. and just finished a few more a couple days ago. Epoxy and some pin stock from the hardware store is all you need. Basic tools like a rasp, some files and a hand saw, along with some sandpaper.
I do 'em just for fun and had no previous experience with installing handles on knives but found it to be pretty easy if you have some basic woodworking skills. :)
RGR-1 - 1.jpeg RGR-2 - 1.jpeg View attachment 1488204 RGR-4 - 1.jpeg

Good suggestion, Gary. You can also purchase Russell/Green River blade blanks for a reasonable price and add your own handles. I did three back in Feb. and just finished a few more a couple days ago. Epoxy and some pin stock from the hardware store is all you need. Basic tools like a rasp, some files and a hand saw, along with some sandpaper.
I do 'em just for fun and had no previous experience with installing handles on knives but found it to be pretty easy if you have some basic woodworking skills. :)
View attachment 1488202 View attachment 1488203 View attachment 1488204 View attachment 1488205

I love the last one, good job with the pyrography .
I always hold my pens and pencils pretty close to the tip, and could never do well with the burning tool because of this.

^^^^^ WAY Kool !! :thumbsup::thumbsup:
Nice work, they look Great!

Dave

Thanks, Dave., I appreciate the compliment.:thumbsup: btw; wood used was osage on 3 and black locust on the other 3.

I love the last one, good job with the pyrography .
I always hold my pens and pencils pretty close to the tip, and could never do well with the burning tool because of this.

Thanks, Hickory n steel. :thumbsup: Yep gotta pay attention when using the wood burner, certainly not forgiving on skin.:D

Thanks, Dave., I appreciate the compliment.:thumbsup: btw; wood used was osage on 3 and black locust on the other 3.

Thanks, Hickory n steel. :thumbsup: Yep gotta pay attention when using the wood burner, certainly not forgiving on skin.:D

I never burned myself ( now hot glue is a different story), I just wasn't good at it because I can't hold it close enough to the tip to control it very well.
It was always like trying to write holding a pencil at the back end.

The green river knives are great in my limited experience, and little has really changed about the green river knives since back in the fur trade era when Green river works was founded.

The green river ripper blade would be exactly the style of knife you were looking at , though the blade is only 4".
The drop point belt knife would also be a great choice though the blade is only 4-7/8".

You can get the knives many places with the standard handles, or for cheap you can get the kit from Jantz supply that comes with the blade rivets and their choice of some nice wood scales.

Personally that's the route I would go because stuff like this makes a great fun afternoon project.

Thanks I've seen the Green River knives and I've grown up with one of their iteration in the kitchen however I referenced the specific Trading Post because they had a bit more refined style that I was looking for

my understanding of the trade knives like Green River is that they were mass-produced cheap to shove off on the Indians in order to grab furs etc.

So my question is more The Trading Post which apparently I can mention because of forum rules are those knives up to snuff in terms of heat treat ability to sharpen ability to keep an edge etc?

Also because of the period and traditional aspect I'm really really not interested in stainless steel but more like 1095 carbon steel.

Thanks I've seen the Green River knives and I've grown up with one of their iteration in the kitchen however I referenced the specific Trading Post because they had a bit more refined style that I was looking for

my understanding of the trade knives like Green River is that they were mass-produced cheap to shove off on the Indians in order to grab furs etc.

So my question is more The Trading Post which apparently I can mention because of forum rules are those knives up to snuff in terms of heat treat ability to sharpen ability to keep an edge etc?

Also because of the period and traditional aspect I'm really really not interested in stainless steel but more like 1095 carbon steel.
Green River was able to undercut Sheffield because they made their knives in an early modern factory. Mountain men were perfectly happy to have Green Rivers. (Last I knew, all but one were still carbon non-stainless (the knives, not the mountain men)).
Look at the descriptions on your website, which I still thank you for lighting up. Some of them tell you what steel, and some of them are more expensive than others. The crappiest ones are probably better than a lot of the knives our ancestors were happy to have, and the more expensive ones are probably nicer.

Last edited:
View attachment 1488202 View attachment 1488203 View attachment 1488204 View attachment 1488205
You do a great job on those Greg .

Harry

Maybe you'd like something like this? High carbon steel in a primitive style. This one I got as a blade blank and I put a handle on from buckthorn with a rawhide wrap and cord. I'll PM you a link to where you can purchase one, I think they are also sold with wood handles installed.:thumbsup: Made in USA.
GFA knife - 1.jpeg

Sorry, njr. I tried to message you but was unable. Not sure if this is because you're not a paying member? If you're able to Pm me with an email I'll get you the info if interested.

Sorry, njr. I tried to message you but was unable. Not sure if this is because you're not a paying member? If you're able to Pm me with an email I'll get you the info if interested.

Thanks but I was looking for something a bit more finished looking.

I'll attach a photo of the knife I was looking at. I guess if it violates any rules the authorities can remove it but.....

Oops never mind functions don't seem to work too well.

Anyway it seemed to be some sort of decent looking blade with a decent finished looking bone handle English colonial style.....

Had a semi-custom bourgeois look rather than the frontier proletarian look so much

Thanks but I was looking for something a bit more finished looking.

I'll attach a photo of the knife I was looking at. I guess if it violates any rules the authorities can remove it but.....

Oops never mind functions don't seem to work too well.

Anyway it seemed to be some sort of decent looking blade with a decent finished looking bone handle English colonial style.....

Had a semi-custom bourgeois look rather than the frontier proletarian look so much

I'd like to see a pic of what you have in mind, too bad you're not able to post it. I'm getting an idea of what you have in mind now but I might not be the best person to help you find it though. There are so many knives to be had out there now and with the internet I'm sure you'll find the right one. Once you get it I hope you're able to show us a pic. I always enjoy knife pictures and I'd be interested in your final pick. :thumbsup::)

btw: I didn't mean to hijack your thread with my pics., hope you didn't mind.

For a more modern style take a look at the Tops Camp Creek knife. It reminds me of a skinner. Also see Condor and Svord, they have some nicely finished traditional looking skinners.

Back