Traditional and Modern pairings

I've often wondered how the contoured handles compare to the flatter carbon fiber (and ironwood, which is the same shape). I would get some hot spots, so I removed the clip from mine. It helps, but the handle is still a little flatter than I'd like it to be for hard use or extended use.
Its much thinner..With ironwood you could modify it yourself..I didnt even want to try wth carbon fiber..Really did like the way the scandi grind cut though
IMG_1057.jpg

Its much thinner..With ironwood you could modify it yourself..I didnt even want to try wth carbon fiber..Really did like the way the scandi grind cut though
IMG_1057.jpg
Wow that is thin. I’ve tried to get rid of the micro bevel and create a convex on mine, but I’ve only got a water stone so it’s more “unique” than exact :D

Wow that is thin. I’ve tried to get rid of the micro bevel and create a convex on mine, but I’ve only got a water stone so it’s more “unique” than exact :D
Only thing with the contoured scales is the thumb lugs stick out a mile on each side so ya just end up with a precise little bruise instead of a big one...HA!!

For a long time I carried my case trapper with X modern folder. The case was really the main knife, and the modern folder was more of a backup if I didnt have a free hand or a "get off of me" tool in self defense. Im disabled and have impaired hand function so slipjoints are a little tricky with me still almost 3 years after injury, but I still carry a case texas jack as a back up to my manix at all times. I keep it with a skant bevel and pretty sharp in case I need a smaller blade.

B buffalo01 -try some slip-joints with eo-notches, they are really helpful in getting access to make a blade pinchable. Has to be one of the more common mods done to traditionals simply for its helpfulness in this regard.
Thanks, Neal

B buffalo01 -try some slip-joints with eo-notches, they are really helpful in getting access to make a blade pinchable. Has to be one of the more common mods done to traditionals simply for its helpfulness in this regard.
Thanks, Neal
They might help a little but the problem is my right hand, I was initially paralyzed from the neck down and oddly my right hand came back kind of weak and only some of the muscles are strong-ish (i hope that make sense) my left hand is almost completely functional, so the problem just comes when my right hand is wet or its cold, or I am holding something that wont sit in my lap (im in a wheelchair) because I cant move my arms very good to stick it in my armpit or something haha The traditional thats easiest for me to open is a case sodbuster even though it has a stiffer spring and not pinchable because they are so fat and easy to hold on to.
But it is a good excuse to get another knife either way and thank you for the suggestion. :)

Always glad to help talk someone into another purchase:rolleyes:. Happens to me quite a bit-talking myself into a new one, just to “try it out”.:)
Thanks, Neal

B buffalo01 -One-Armed Jacks aren’t bad either (the Knives with a Razor blade?), you catch the tip on your pocket or pants seam to open. They gained a great deal of popularity after the civil-war, when the answer to a lot of problems was amputation. Idk if you’ve tried one , but could be worth a shot. On the modern side, Emerson’s with a wave just pull open when you pull them out; easy-peasy (anyone say that anymore?:rolleyes::)).
Thanks, Neal

Back