Traditional Folding Military Knives

H herder - Thanks my friend, I'll try and post some more pics. I think I may need to read through that old thread again myself, I've probably forgotten half the stuff I wrote there! :D I sent Charlie @waynorth a Keen Kutter WW1 pattern with Canadian markings, a few years back, so hopefully he'll post a pic :)

Here's a British Army WW1 8173-1914 pattern, sometimes referred to as a 'Gift Knife. This example is by Joseph Allen.

Here's one with the Keen Kutter stamp, made by Camillus I think, probably for the Canadians :thumbsup:

Those little flip out spade shaped tools with the knob on the side are what I'm talking about. What are they exactly used for?

H herder - Thanks my friend, I'll try and post some more pics. I think I may need to read through that old thread again myself, I've probably forgotten half the stuff I wrote there! :D I sent Charlie @waynorth a Keen Kutter WW1 pattern with Canadian markings, a few years back, so hopefully he'll post a pic :)

Well, you are doing better than me in only forgetting half of what was previously posted. :)
And yes, I'm going back to re-read those other threads as well.
So you think Charlie might have a knife to ad??? :)

How on earth do you open a can with one of those? Just stab stab stab around the rim I guess.

With a careful eye on your fingers I imagine! :D It was a long time, after tinned food was invented, before openers were even invented. With these, you sort of stab the can, and then cut through the lid, using the horizontal peg on the rim for purchase. Rough Rider put one on their Scout Knife :thumbsup:

Well, you are doing better than me in only forgetting half of what was previously posted. :)
And yes, I'm going back to re-read those other threads as well.
So you think Charlie might have a knife to ad??? :)

LOL! :D I imagine Charlie has one or two to contribute ;) He recently sent me two very fine examples. This WW2 Case-made knife :)

And a 1945 Ibberson 'Burma Knife' :thumbsup:

I must grab some time this weekend to try and take some snaps of a couple of Knives- Gentleman- amazing Knives you have shown in this Thread- Thank you Neal for starting this up!

Here's a British Army 6353 which was issued from 1905 to 1939, often referred to as the World War 1 pattern. Only the later knives (1937-39) had the year stamped on the pile side tang. This one was made by Joseph Rodgers & Sons, the scales are chequered buffalo horn. Came with a full set of stamps ;)

Miller Bros. Navy knife

ktxyMBa.jpg

That's a very cool knife Mark. They trained at Camp Hale at high elevation here in Colorado.
Thanks a lot Mike! Very interesting, them training in CO!

Thanks Mike, that's a hugely interesting pattern :thumbsup:

Superb Ulster Mark :thumbsup:
Thanks Jack! You have shown some real beasts! :thumbsup:

H herder & G george65 , stunning Navy knives!:thumbsup:

Here's a Camillus 'Demo' knife from a little later (stamped 1969) but still fits this category, I think.
dIOGhH2.jpg

There are some amazing and unique knives here! That Rodgers takes the cake for me though, thanks for sharing!:thumbsup:

Another amazing knife you have there, Jack.
Thank you for sharing. :)

Thanks Jack! You have shown some real beasts! :thumbsup:

There are some amazing and unique knives here! That Rodgers takes the cake for me though, thanks for sharing!:thumbsup:

Thanks a lot guys :) Mark, I wonder if the plan was that if the ammunition ran out, they could always clobber the enemy by subjecting them to a barrage of heavy clasp knives! :D :thumbsup:

I have a Wostenholm similar to the Rodgers, but don't seem to be able to find pics. I'll have to take some fresh ones. In the meantime, this H.M. Slater is the same pattern, but a little more recent, 1938.

A beautiful example :thumbsup:

Sadly, the only Wade & Butcher Clasp Knife I have is an ugly example of the pattern which came next, and which has a broken tin-opener blade, something which really must have taken some doing :eek: o_O

Maybe someone tried opening a 55 gallon drum with it?

Back