traditional knives in movies

:) yes, in the episode

Mixed Doubles​

Elaine Giftos and Laugh-in's qwn Henry Gibson! I had to look it up because I knew I should know both of them. I had quite a thing for her and Gibson was a fine actor.

Speaking of Jack Palance, I tried hard to get a look at Clint Walker's knife in Cheyenne. There are lots of pictures of him around the set with an empty sheath, but only one showing him holding the knife at an angle awkward for taking measurements.

Taking measurements? Now I am curious
I thought I'd make one. I figured he was such a percent taller than me, so his hand would be the same percent broader than mine; and the knife was presented at such a pair of angles, so the apparent length and width would be...
I may still have it all written down somewhere, but as I recall I got a blade 8" long x 2" wide, with a rather shallow clip point. 2" length of clip?
The picture was on the cover of the DVD for one of the seasons of Cheyenne that were for sale on his website that his third wife was running.

Britt Ekland wields a Sheffield Sgian Dubh in The Wicker Man - an appropriate movie for May Day! :D ;):thumbsup:
PvDEtpm.jpg

Some Sheffield cutlers used to do a slightly longer version of the 'Town Pattern' Sgian Dubh, (which was generally produced without provenance), which they dubbed a 'Selkirk'.

Britt Ekland wields a Sheffield Sgian Dubh in The Wicker Man - an appropriate movie for May Day! :D ;):thumbsup:
PvDEtpm.jpg

Some Sheffield cutlers used to do a slightly longer version of the 'Town Pattern' Sgian Dubh, (which was generally produced without provenance), which they dubbed a 'Selkirk'.
Or any day!
[sigh]
I hadn't heard of the Sheffield Selkirk. That would have made for a nice knife.

I was watching Jumanji (1995) with my daughter recently — a movie I don’t think I’ve watched since I was a kid myself — and I spotted a couple traditional knives.

There’s only a brief glimpse of the first knife, as Alan (the character played later in the movie by Robin Williams) takes what looks like an Alox Swiss Army Knife and some money off of his dresser.

uaiAL8A.png

This part of the movie takes place in 1969. I’m not very knowledgeable on SAKs from that time period, and you really don’t get a good look at it, but I thought maybe this could be a Soldier. I don’t know if there were other Alox models available in the 1960s.

Later, after Alan returns from spending 26 years trapped inside the game, he has one of the SAK’s aluminum scales hanging from a cord around his neck.

OaWEt6t.jpg

There’s also a brief shot of a display of fixed blade knives during a scene that takes place in a gun shop.

m7Nnqhw.png

I'm not sure how this one hasn't been posted here before (I'm not even sure how I haven't posted it here, because I watch this movie just about every year around this time), but since it hasn't, here it is now. :D

In Home Alone 2: Lost in New York, Kevin McCallister buys a Swiss Army Knife at a toy store in New York City. You get a couple different views of it sitting on the counter while he's checking out.

Top down, looking at all the tools:

o6KAu7k.jpg

Side view. I'm guessing the white square on the side was put there to cover up the Swiss cross logo.

GJUGO8a.jpg

Back side of the knife:

zlNIP0g.jpg

Outside the store, Kevin uses the magnifying glass to look at a map of Manhattan.

6UCYxjc.jpg

Small continuity error: this scene starts with Kevin holding the knife so that side with the corkscrew is facing him, but when the camera cuts to a wider shot, the knife is turned the other way, with the corkscrew side facing away from Kevin.

4gmeomW.jpg

Now I'm not particularly well versed on the differences between Victorinox and Wenger SAKs (in fact, I don't think I've ever owned one made by Wenger), but I have seen the magnifying glass design that Victorinox uses, so process of elimination (plus Google confirmation ;)) tells me this one's a Wenger.

iaZxVPz.jpg

I also don't know much about Wenger models, but if I had to guess, I'd say the knife in the movie a Wenger Champ. Looks about right to me:

17hUfQA.jpg

Unfortunately, when he realizes that the Sticky Bandits (formerly the Wet Bandits) are standing behind him, Kevin drops his SAK, screams and runs away, leaving it on the sidewalk. :eek: It probably would've come in handy setting up all those booby traps later, too. :D

nNGDaMf.jpg

Merry Christmas, ya filthy animals! :D :D

I was watching this one again — it always makes the Christmas movie list — and I noticed a detail that I hadn’t before. The total cost for these three items that Kevin buys at the toy store was $23.75.

o6KAu7k.jpg

Now I was 7 years old when the movie came out, so I won’t pretend to know/remember the price of a SAK in the early 90s. But assuming the map and the thing of slime each cost at least a buck or two, that makes the price of the Wenger Champ less than $20, which seems like quite a bargain!

I was watching this one again — it always makes the Christmas movie list — and I noticed a detail that I hadn’t before. The total cost for these three items that Kevin buys at the toy store was $23.75.

o6KAu7k.jpg

Now I was 7 years old when the movie came out, so I won’t pretend to know/remember the price of a SAK in the early 90s. But assuming the map and the thing of slime each cost at least a buck or two, that makes the price of the Wenger Champ less than $20, which seems like quite a bargain!
At that price, I'd take a handful...

well, one seems like a handful all on its own...

in that case - two handfuls!!

Back