trail clearing tool

Hey Crew, I was wondering if you all that have an HI blade feel like they would make an ok trail clearing tool.
If so, which ones should I look at?
Weight is an issue for sure.
The main use would be clearing game trails where i bow hunt and making them wide enough for myself to walk down.
And just general clearing of overgrowth where I hunt.
I hike in miles, so taking chainsaws and the likes is not possible.
I like to stay light and mobile.
I thought about snips or pruners as well, but thats not as fun or as good a workout and swinging a bladed tool. :)
Thanks for reading.

From what you describe I'd grab a KLVUK. Plain nothing fancy get her done work knife.
Very light, about the right length and a pretty good chopper for most applications.
If nothing else it's a great learner knife so you can figure what works for you.

What Bawanna said. You can't go wrong with a KLVUK. Another good choice would be a Tamang Knife, which might be a little lighter weight and with a somewhat straighter blade. Both models have been posted here lately.

If you want something longer, without extra weight, I'd go with a machete. HI doesn't make those, but everyone else does.

Some people like the HI Kobra model for this kind of use. The Kobra is mainly a fighting knife with a slim blade, therefore it's lighter than most HI models. However, I've found that the longer Kobras are not all that lightweight, at least not compared with a machete.

sounds like I should try out a VUK then. haha.
Thanks guys.

Oh, and I do have a machete, im just not too fond of it.

For something lighter weight but longer, I just got a limbuwan model. 19", 23 oz or so. Fast in hand but much more leaf shaped than a kobra.

Very sharp and would handle medium trail duties easily without getting your knuckles too close to the brambles.

I haven't tested it out yet, but it's a khuk that haunts me a little bit. One that itches to be used.

I must add, I love the BAS model! There is a reason it’s the 2nd best seller! “It just feels right” and chops awesome!!

My 17 3/4" WW II with full tang has fine tuned the 2 acres around our lake place , nestled in beau coup NorthEastern hardwoods, heavy vines and spikey bushes for years very efficiently.
That being said, when trekking for miles The 13" Ang Khola with a rat tail tang has been the go to woods pal.
Have fun, please wear gloves, trek well.

Mark

Tamang knife comes with an awesome sheath!
Nice 17" length Cul4u01. Great looking handle. Good sharking that day.

Id take a 20-21" Gelbu Special, Kobra, Chitlangi,or....for shorter: KLVUK, Thamar Chirras, etc. . The longer ones are easier on the back and easier to flick spent branches off the trail but KLVUK is easier to manage. My experience tho is from the beginning of a hike I never put the knife down anyway until I get there so I prefer the length.

I love the klvuks but for trail clearing my land my wife and i went with the large jungle knives they hang great on the body not bulky and beefy enough to take down trees. Ive done it, i use mine as my main trail clearer. But a klvuk is second choice followed by the kumar karda it vhops skins and clears its like the beefier version of a kabar.

For something lighter weight but longer, I just got a limbuwan model. 19", 23 oz or so. Fast in hand but much more leaf shaped than a kobra.

Very sharp and would handle medium trail duties easily without getting your knuckles too close to the brambles.

I haven't tested it out yet, but it's a khuk that haunts me a little bit. One that itches to be used.

I just got my limbuwan last week and i love how it has that chainpura / kobra style i intend to use my as it seems its made to play with.

Regardless of the model, I'd pick an HI blade between 22 and 28 oz. That would put the overall length between 15 and 17 inches, depending on the model. That weight and length will give you enough mass for chopping heavy limbs and saplings, in order to clear a shooting lane. Yet, the weight is light enough for carrying in a back pack. I rarely put my kuks on a belt. I generally throw it in a backpack until needed.

sounds like I should try out a VUK then. haha.
Thanks guys.

Oh, and I do have a machete, im just not too fond of it.

What machete do you have? I've had good luck with a basic latin for anything up to wood. If you get into wood, then the golok, parang, and kuhkris come in handy.

Definitely stay on the light side as repeated swinging is the name of the game for trail clearing. I think the VUK is a good choice, I'm not sure which model I have as I got it second hand and never bothered figuring out the model but it's thin, broad blade, and around 19oz and about a 11in blade. It works well on anything down to grass and up to a full size tree that you want a felling axe or saw for (chainsaw if you want powered).

Personally, I like the handle wrapped too as the smooth covers tend to slide on me and my grip's not the best after years of abuse in sports. I'm testing out using an inner tube like tennis tape and am enjoying the grip and shock absorption.
CbvGIZ6l.jpg

bikerector:

Based on the picture and your description, I'm pretty sure that what you have is a Foxy Folly. A beautiful blade, fairly thin, with a wide belly.

bikerector:

Based on the picture and your description, I'm pretty sure that what you have is a Foxy Folly. A beautiful blade, fairly thin, with a wide belly.

I never would've guessed that design. I'm a big fan of it though. I tried an AK and it was a too big for my liking; I tired out too quick. It was one of the larger ones that came through one of the blem specials though so not the typical AK either. Split amazingly though.

Trail clearing around here means brush work and thin branches. Light and fast are preferred. I've been using my 20", 24oz Sirupati for trail clearing for years. For heavier work I've been using a 16.5" 21oz WWII. Have an 18" 28oz WWII that works well too but hasn't seen much use yet.

Machetes are really good for trail clearing. Ontario, Tramontina, Condor and Martindale all make good affordable ones. Andy Roy of @Fiddleback Forge, a friend of H.I. makes some great machetes. Have had a 12" Fiddleback machete for over 6 years and it's my favorite 12" Machete. Personally I think a good machete pairs well with a machete. They compliment each other.

Back