trail clearing tool

What machete do you have? I've had good luck with a basic latin for anything up to wood. If you get into wood, then the golok, parang, and kuhkris come in handy.

Im not even sure of the machete i have, It was a gimme, and its a cheapo big box store type with a hook on the spine end as well, hah.

But I decided to go for the KLVUK, as there was one just offered up on a sales thread by yangdu.
I should be happy with that one I think.

Thanks for the replies guys.

Im not even sure of the machete i have, It was a gimme, and its a cheapo big box store type with a hook on the spine end as well, hah.

But I decided to go for the KLVUK, as there was one just offered up on a sales thread by yangdu.
I should be happy with that one I think.

Thanks for the replies guys.

Something like the Woodsman's pal?
upload_2018-12-28_20-48-3.jpeg

KLVUK should treat you well. Machetes are nice when reach is a bonus but if you're looking at mostly wood in your trail clearing a nice kuhkri is good to have. Nice purchase.

bikerector bikerector exactly like that one, but looks way cheaper and orange. hah

Im excited about the purchase.
Too bad it will be about 4 or 5 months until the snow melts in the area hike and hunt.

Grats on the KLVUK! It will hold an edge much better than a cheap machette and also it will chop light material better as well. Its really a great all around blade. Many here will attest to that. The sharpening issue has been beaten to death so you might be better off doing a search through the HI forums. Main thing is keep the original profile convex as it is when you got it. Good luck and trail pics always welcome!

my KLVUK arrived today.
The weight and balance feels quite nice, and it should make a great chopper.
The handle seems like its not finished at all. a lot of rough spots and slight splinters of wood.
Is that typical? I do realize the $45 i paid is a bargain.
Do you just sand them down yourselves? Do you seal them at all?
Ill get some pics tomorrow when its light out and its buried into some wood. hah

Yes just sand them and I apply linseed or mineral oil. I don't think any of the khukris actually have a finish on them, the are more refined but hit with a polishing wheel. So they have polishing compound which I suppose acts like a finish.

Generally I take and lightly sand even the nicest khuks and then oil. Often times they will really pop and bring out the colors more so than the polishing.

The KLVUK is what one would find being used by the people in Nepal. It's a working knife for them.

Yes just sand them and I apply linseed or mineral oil. I don't think any of the khukris actually have a finish on them, the are more refined but hit with a polishing wheel. So they have polishing compound which I suppose acts like a finish.

Generally I take and lightly sand even the nicest khuks and then oil. Often times they will really pop and bring out the colors more so than the polishing.

The KLVUK is what one would find being used by the people in Nepal. It's a working knife for them.

Thank you.
I will just sand it down to my liking and then just go with some basic mineral oil.
Good to know its a working knife, as that is what my intention will be.

As for the black coating on it upper portion of the blade towards the spine, is that pretty durable, or will it eventually come off? I dont mind it at all.

The black forge scale is very tough. It will last many years. Some remove it with apple cider vinegar but I prefer leaving it on. It also helps hold surface oils and protects it better in my opinion.

i sanded the handle down a tad with a #M foam block sander, fine grit, and put a layer of mineral oil on the handle.
The handle looks and feels much better in hand.

jJlE25r.jpg

That's a very good looking handle, nice piece of wood on that one.

Well done.

I also agree with Ndog, some prefer to remove the black forge scale, I did on one of mine. Doubt I would do it again. I'll probably leave it.
Later on when it's well used you can always do the apple cider trick and take if off for a different look if desired.

Sometimes a KLVUK comes with very rough forging scales that can collect grime. Yours seems much smoother, based on the picture. I would leave it alone.

For the very rough ones you can smooth it with sandpaper or remove it with apple cider vinegar.

Back