TRAPPER TUESDAY

2001 Case SS Trapper with Barb Wire covers

u6b6kjQ.jpg

There's no such thing as a stupid question right?! So, what defines a trapper? I see what look like many different type of knives here.

There's no such thing as a stupid question right?! So, what defines a trapper? I see what look like many different type of knives here.

It's the frame/pattern. My simple (meaning simple to me) description is that the frame is serpentine, with a square bolster (sometimes pinched) at the blade pivot end and an broad, upswept, lower end. The knife can be bareheaded (no bolsters at the lower end) or have bolsters at both ends and the knife can have only one blade or multiple blades (Case has a three blade trapper out now). Most commonly, the trapper pattern has two blades - one a clip the other a spey.

That's my simplistic description as I'm a pretty simplistic guy. Hope it's clear. Go through the thread and you'll see the different variations.

It's the frame/pattern. My simple (meaning simple to me) description is that the frame is serpentine, with a square bolster (sometimes pinched) at the blade pivot end and an broad, upswept, lower end. The knife can be bareheaded (no bolsters at the lower end) or have bolsters at both ends and the knife can have only one blade or multiple blades (Case has a three blade trapper out now). Most commonly, the trapper pattern has two blades - one a clip the other a spey.

That's my simplistic description as I'm a pretty simplistic guy. Hope it's clear. Go through the thread and you'll see the different variations.
I would just add that the most common configuration has two long blades, usually a clip and a spey, on the same end.

Back