TSA knife thoughts... 2013 change

sloth357

Platinum m0f0
Hey all (and yes you Daniel :]), as most of us have heard TSA is going to loosen the standards on carry-on knife restrictions. The under 2.5in and less than .5in wide sounds decent. Basically it means we can carry a SAK with us on our flights...

Well, I was thinking, it'd be great if Daniel would come out with a new design/model for this purpose. Be one of the first on the block :). And yes, a SAK is a great tool/knife... But seriously, we all like to carry more than the basics, no?

What came to mind is a new friction folder... I'd like Daniel to come up with a few designs. Call it the DF TSA6, or just the TSA6. For 6cm, because 2.63in is wonky :)

So here is a link to the TSA sites .pdf of the exact rules, LOOK LONG AND HARD BOYS:

http://www.tsa.gov/sites/default/files/assets/pdf/tsa_permitted_items_update.pdf

Soooooo, no locking blade. No formed grips. No fixed blades.. Fricky time! Fricky with a small exposed tang for bottle opening too???

Let's get some designs going and make this a team effort. Make this happen this year if at all possible?? I know Daniel lots going on, but just maybe...

cheers!

Hey all (and yes you Daniel :]),

Soooooo, no locking blade. No formed grips. No fixed blades.. Fricky time! Fricky with a small exposed tang for bottle opening too???

Let's get some designs going and make this a team effort. Make this happen this year if at all possible?? I know Daniel lots going on, but just maybe...

cheers!

That would be awesome! A frikky w/ bottle opener is a grail knife for me, one that I could take/use on an airplane would be even better.. Then again, I don't think I've ever needed to open a beer on an airplane... Meh, logic has no place in knife wants!

It would be nice to have one w/ a blade meeting the stupid TSA requirements but also one with a larger, more useful blade..

My .02..

I think a frikky is the perfect solution, buuuuut as a cop who works at the airport I'd wait. TSA could and probably will reverse this decision. There are currently flight attendant unions filing a lawsuit saying this is unsafe. It's sad how many knives tsa doesn't even find on X-ray. I'm all for this, and hope it stays, I just am not getting my hopes up.

Hmmm I doubt it gets reversed... Lots of pressure and the flight attendant unions... Hmm don't think it will happen. A 2.5in blade barely gets past body fat... I guess if you tied someone down and gouged their eyes out...

SO, a fricky with mini bottle opener.. and once you arrive at your destination, you have your bottle opener at your side. No need to carry another in your luggage.

I think the key will be making this look good, feel good in hand, and not cost too much.. I told Daniel I see more of a rounded almost bushcraft style handle on this little guy to make it easy to hold on to and manipulate. Perhaps 3.5in closed (minus the piece that sticks out to open a friction folder.. don't know what the hell that piece is called :]).

Blade steel.. stainless? Or go with a simple carbon for ease of sharpening and put a nice patina or other coating or tumbled or ??? Again I think a 6cm blade length knife, that thin, should be right around this magical $100 mark. $150 tops IMO. Perhaps $150 the top of the line version with nicer scale material (carbon fiber or twill or gitd) and steel, and a $100 price point with simple carbon steel (1095) and something like basic micarta.

I want one soon, I'll try to get a few sketches together soon.. MORE KNIVES DANIEL!

I do love your friction folders, Daniel.I doubt I would be able to resist buying one.

That would be awesome! A frikky w/ bottle opener is a grail knife for me, one that I could take/use on an airplane would be even better.. Then again, I don't think I've ever needed to open a beer on an airplane... Meh, logic has no place in knife wants!

It would be nice to have one w/ a blade meeting the stupid TSA requirements but also one with a larger, more useful blade..

My .02..

I like it!

I think a frikky is the perfect solution, buuuuut as a cop who works at the airport I'd wait. TSA could and probably will reverse this decision. There are currently flight attendant unions filing a lawsuit saying this is unsafe. It's sad how many knives tsa doesn't even find on X-ray. I'm all for this, and hope it stays, I just am not getting my hopes up.

I'm really glad you brought that up, that is very important to know. Especially for me, as a mountain sasquatch I don't keep up with much!

I have been planning on making a friction folder for a while now so I'll probably do it anyways.

I like the power/leverage at the tip a smaller bladed friction folder can have... I have one and it is the only folder I will use to score Kydex.

I'm pretty sure it will be 50 state and European legal too... that is always nice for travel or for in the car.

Thanks and good call!

I want to hear what everyone thinks on this one! I really like the idea myself.

I think TSA eventually will reverse that decision it has too many concerns and will become issues, imo. But in the mean time I'll really want to see the first prototype folder to be finished :D You know what Daniel, I just can't stop myself keep thinking about that folder:eek: What to do?? I need help :D

I think TSA eventually will reverse that decision it has too many concerns and will become issues, imo. But in the mean time I'll really want to see the first prototype folder to be finished :D You know what Daniel, I just can't stop myself keep thinking about that folder:eek: What to do?? I need help :D

UPS is supposed to have my counterbores and taps in today so it will be back on soon! :D

These would be a little ways off... I'm making the folder prorotype, completing some 15n20 dashis, finishing TBOK's, planning a kiridashi run, working on the damascus dashi run, another Ti Backpacker run and a few more things of I forget to list... once I have the framelock folder process down I'll be working hard on pretty much just them.

:thumbup: Sounds excising! You sure put a lot smile on me, rock on brother!

I might buy one, but I don't think I'd try to carry it on a plane. I would not want to miss a flight because I'm arguing with an uninformed TSA agent, or worse yet, get it confiscated. I will just carry a small SAK or a Peanut.

I'd buy one. I was thinking today that the knife companies might capitalize on the changes by promoting old standards. Why not do the same except make a new dedicated model? Of course the fricky design has been in the works for a while now so.....:)

I think a few things are key....

- James Bond would have to want it.

- Nothing scary! I'm thinking something very classy that looks so nice people forget it is a knife.

- It needs to have a small footprint and be light. I'd also make it a bit under the legal requirement so there is no question on size.

- It will be DFK all the way and overbuilt just a bit as always! I'd like a slicey blade though, maybe 3/32" thick. The stop pin, pivot and contact area will all be as big as possible for maximum strength and stability but I want it to be a small size. ...a gentleman's folder that can take anything !

- Bottle opener! I like it... it is non threatening to the general public. It also gives a purpose to the tang extension.

- Stainless sounds very cool to me, I would like this one to be maintenance free. I may also use a high edge retention tool steel. I'm really impressed with the stainless I have used so far.

Thanks again everyone for the input! I want to hear what everyone thinks and we will make the best knife available!

And, when closed, doesn't look like a knife. I mean, big or small, closed folders are still immediately identifiable as knives. How to avoid that association?

Perhaps rectangular in shape? Put a clip on the back and it doubles as a small money clip?

Last edited:
I'd be in for one, most definitely.

My only concern would be that with the exposed/extended tang and having a TSA agent including that part in "blade length" when they measure it. I've heard some ridiculous ways of measuring blade length and it would be beyond suck to have it confiscated to catch a flight. Or have it confiscated and miss the flight. Or have it confiscated, miss the flight, and get arrested for calling the TSA agent an ignoramus.:eek: I'm not the argumentative type, but try to take my knife away on baseless grounds would bring out the righteous anger in me!

Slicey stainless sounds super!

Sounds good! so many good stainless steels to choose from!

And, when closed, doesn't look like a knife. I mean, big or small, closed folders are still immediately identifiable as knives. How to avoid that association?

Perhaps rectangular in shape? Put a clip on the back and it doubles as a small money clip?

I have a knife like that somewhere, it is a 1950's vintage that my grandfather owned. No money clip on it though, that is awesome! Cool idea!

yeah so no exposed tang... a small circle cutout for a 1/8 lanyard hole though might be nice, able to attach to keychain if needed/wanted..

Also what about a detent ball on a small friction folder?? Too much work, price would go up and make it not worth it??

IF a fricky this small could have a back spacer to help make the handles thicker, could the back spacer be ever so slightly raised OR have a small groove in it.. So the backspacer in say 1095 for striking fire rods... just a thought.. another feature to add to its utility.. maybe :)

edit: and as far as measuring blade length, that tsa pdf I left a link to is pretty visual and makes it fairly clear... tip to scale tip. So make the edge the full length of the blade to the scales.. No scale choil or finger groove as it might be considered a molded handle.. handle like perhaps a kephart? or a handle like a peanut but more full and NOT a traditional style look :)

Hey sloth357

Remember last year when I was selling that really cool Atwood sharp here in the forum? And, remember how you sent me that really nice unsolicited PM? Let me refresh your memory. Here's exactly what you wrote:

"Is that a typo? $365 for that tiny thing? Atwoods are collectible, but seriously... $65 I was considering it.. but still... gl with finding a sucker for that price O_O"

Yeah, good times, good times. By the way, Mr sloth, it sold for $350. Maybe some day you'll make enough money to buy cool stuff. But, I doubt it.

---------------

My apologies to Daniel and those who are following this TSA knife thread.

Lets keep that kind of thing out of the DFK forum please.

This is between you guys, I understand how both of you feel but I just don't want it discussed here.

I almost mailed both of you but decided against it... you guys are both my friends so I hope everything works out.

Last edited:
Back