TSA knife thoughts... 2013 change

By the way, I can just see this knife now... I have thought about it a lot. I'm going to have to read the documents a few times over to make sure it will be legal. I'lll also make sure it is plenty under the legal size so there is nothing in question.

I'm guessing the legal people were thinking a little slipjoint or SAK keychain style knife would be cool. I'm thinking it should be somewhat along those lines so it looks like what everybody else has, just nicer.

The more I think about it the friction folder tang/opener might be pushing things, I don't want anyone to get their knife confiscated. So no pointy metal things protruding!

Classy is always good - the scale material will be classy!

Silver twill, different G10's.. nice solid colors and clean simple lines. Wild anodized Titanium always throws people off too, it isn't so scary. I once handed someone an anodized bottle opener knife and they fondled it for a while and then said, wow, that's a knife too!

SAK style spearpoint blade with a simple grind... wharncliffe with a more rounded tip... lots of great blade options!

Price point - $200 range

I'm just throwing out more ideas... I may start drawing things up in CAD soon because it takes a while to work every detail out.

For those of you that are subscribed to this thread, you got to read this :)

...Otherwise, move along!

Now I started this thread in hopes we could get a cool fricky out of Daniel, as well as I thought it would help Daniel out by suggesting a new design idea that he could run with.

I support Daniel and have since day 1, probably his biggest financial supporter and happy to be.

If someone has an issue with someone, contact them. I have emails and PMs setup. Don't leave a post in my thread on Daniels sub-forum to hash out something that is completely irrelevant. And take the time to setup emails on your personal settings so things can be dealt with behind the scenes.

Back to FRICKY IDEAS! :D :D

A mini cutlass blade shape would be cool and useful for pointy pokey needs...

Last edited:
Daniel, sounds really cool. If you decide to make some, please put me down for one. In fact, I'll "flight test" a prototype for you. Though I'm retired, I still fly quite a bit. We can see what TSA thinks of it before you go into production. If they don't like it, you have to promise to visit me in the Big House the first Tuesday of every month. :)

I'd be down for a TSA-compliant knife, although a bit bummed about the bottle opener tang going away - maybe a future/separate version? ;)

So... when we say tang, I think of the end of the blade.. but with a friction folder, the tang can be the part that we move to open the knife, no?? So my reference was to make the part we move to engage the blade doubles as a bottle opener. As all friction folders have to have that part sticking out a 1/2in or more (usually more). So then I suppose this becomes a question of are any friction folders allowed due to that protruding piece of steel that opens the knife, the tang.

I hope they are allowed, as I don't want the only option to be a DFK version of a SAK... though that could work too :)

I would like to see a friction folder with a bottle opener tang, as well. There are plenty of slip joint knives out there that are TSA compliant.

The TSA graphic shows large corkscrews with small knives leading me to believe a tang sticking out the back wouldn't be a problem. Hey, how about a corkscrew tang? Ha!

I just ordered a SAK in hammered sterling silver and I'm hoping for something different and cool from DFK. But, I'll pretty much take what I can get from Daniel. :)

Last edited:
I didn't word that very well, no way I'm making a slipjoint or anything like a SAK! I just mean small and non threatening looking.

It's great to discuss this stuff! I think it will need a bottle opener or some other useful features.

So on the subject of TSA possibly reversing the rule... Sounds as though it's been a trend that has been ongoing.. that is the "loosening of rules".. Perhaps people are tired of the Patriot Act fallout of paranoia..

"The TSA has recently rolled back rules prohibiting passengers from carrying everything from knitting needles and tweezers to small scissors and fingernail clippers, plus up to four books of matches (2005), standard cigarette lighters (2007) and even small snow globes (2012). “I’ve never heard of a plane being taken over by snow globes,” Elliott says. "

And...

"While passengers can once again carry small blades on flights, bringing aboard more than 3 ounces of liquid is still a no-no. Experts say that too may soon change. The Transportation Security Administration surprised passengers and airlines last week by allowing small knives — with blades no longer than 2.36 inches and no wider than half-an-inch — on airplanes. Novelty toy bats and adult-size sports equipment like lacrosse, pool and hockey sticks, and two golf clubs per traveler will also be permitted on April 25. David Castelveter, a spokesman for the TSA, says the move brings U.S. security rules in line with those of the International Civil Aviation Organization. “You’re not going to bring an airplane down with a pen knife,” he says. "

More later, I am out the door and being yelled at!! lol

Snow globes! lol...

I've been working on these in CAD, I hope to have a design or two up here somewhat soon.

Daniel,
If you go with a frikky just let me know. I'm the local sheriffs department at my airport. I work there 40 hours a week. Give me your cad designs, or a prototype, and I'll set up a meeting with the tsa liaison. I can guarantee we can get a direct answer on anything you want to roll with.

Daniel,
If you go with a frikky just let me know. I'm the local sheriffs department at my airport. I work there 40 hours a week. Give me your cad designs, or a prototype, and I'll set up a meeting with the tsa liaison. I can guarantee we can get a direct answer on anything you want to roll with.

Hey Thanks! I'll do that for certain!

I'll probably send you a real size template in card stock once I am close.

Very cool and I look forward to it all! :D

The dirty bastards pulled the knife allowance... airline employees FEAR the 2in blade!

So maybe not a TSA fricky yet, but I think a small 2in fricky would be cool and it could still be dubbed the TSA fricky..

Just add it to your long list of knife runs for end of year or 2014 :D

I think a frikky is the perfect solution, buuuuut as a cop who works at the airport I'd wait. TSA could and probably will reverse this decision. There are currently flight attendant unions filing a lawsuit saying this is unsafe. It's sad how many knives tsa doesn't even find on X-ray. I'm all for this, and hope it stays, I just am not getting my hopes up.
I agree,it may never happen.I'm happy just to get to where I'm going on time.:eek:

Lol hate to say I told you so, but I do have a good read on Tsa and airport security! :p. I've actually never owned a fricky, but if it would have passed Tsa I was all go.

Back