Tuna Valley Photography

Very nice photo! I've got a nail-breaking Phoenix Jack with these covers and you've done a great job at the difficult task of capturing all the color in there - in dim light, you don't see any of that awesome burl action!
Yeah I had to play around a bit to get the camera to pick up the depth of the handle character.

Hey Rookie82 Rookie82 - In another thread focused exclusively on Titusville Cutlery (in which I'd already been warned about posting Tuna pics... šŸ¤£) you asked to see the result if and when I got around to adding an easy-open notch to my nail-mangling Phoenix Jack covered in green maple burl.

I think it came out alright. It's nice to be able to open the blade and still have my thumbnail intact. This is the first such (read: potentially destructive) mod I've ever performed on a slipjoint knife. In a perfect world I would have practiced on a Rough Ryder or similar, but this is not a perfect world and so instead I figured "oh hell, lets just do it live" - fortunately, she seems to have survived the ordeal.

321Bandaid 321Bandaid - this may also be relevant to your interests.

vYfCo1Q.jpeg

Hey Rookie82 Rookie82 - In another thread focused exclusively on Titusville Cutlery (in which I'd already been warned about posting Tuna pics... šŸ¤£) you asked to see the result if and when I got around to adding an easy-open notch to my nail-mangling Phoenix Jack covered in green maple burl.

I think it came out alright. It's nice to be able to open the blade and still have my thumbnail intact. This is the first such (read: potentially destructive) mod I've ever performed on a slipjoint knife. In a perfect world I would have practiced on a Rough Ryder or similar, but this is not a perfect world and so instead I figured "oh hell, lets just do it live" - fortunately, she seems to have survived the ordeal.

321Bandaid 321Bandaid - this may also be relevant to your interests.

vYfCo1Q.jpeg
That turned out really well I would say! Good job. The handles sure are beautiful on that one.

Another Old Man Norman, this was part of the Cultured Artistry Collection series in 2022. Green mammoth tooth, and a "tree of life" shield. A lot of folks commented that the shield too closely resembled the Boker logo, so no others were made after this 1 release.
2022-tuna-norman-greentooth-03lo.jpg

The last one is this unique 1 piece prototype. It is called the "Pathfinder" and was built on the Phoenix Jack frame. This was a test to try out some possibilities for future runs, including: a small recessed EO to reach the nail pull, fluted/lined bolsters, laser etching on the blade, compass insert in the handle, and a different type of handle material (in this case, compressed hemp wood).
2023-tuna-pathfinder-proto-01lo.jpg

Back