TW-90 questions

Wouldn't it be a bit easier to switch the outlet than cut all of your tool cords?

Yeah but once a had a couple I just automatically buy the right plug end now haha. I don't really have that many 220 tools so it's not that big of a deal.

It is not just a matter of convenience, but safer to use the right plug and socket.

220/240VAC tools that draw 20 amps or less are almost always made with NEMA-6-20 plugs. A NEMA-6-20 socket will take a NEMA-6-20 plug. That is the RIGHT plug for that type circuit.

Using odd socket types and dryer plugs/flea market sockets may not insure proper wiring and circuit/device protection. Just because both the plug and socket are wired the same way isn't a guarantee that the circuit isn't wired wrong. Sooner or later someone may try and plug a device wired right into the wired-wrong socket .... and bad things may happen.

I have personally seen a shop where the person built his shop in a 12X10 portable garden shed from HD.
He wired 240 to the shop from the house with a long extension cord that he plugged into the dryer socket. Not a good idea, but it will work.
He split it into 120 and 240 volt sockets on the bench in a 3-gang box.
He had a 3 phase converter that he picked up surplus. He put the 3 phase wiring from the converter in the third slot of the 3-gang box, using a standard 15 amp 115VAC socket ( NEMA-1-15). He justified it because he had bought a 10-pack box of them a HD, and the box of them was cheaper than one NEMA-11-15 three phase socket.
He used standard 15 amp pigtail to wire the 3 phase motor on the grinder he had built. Again, he pointed out that the pigtail cost much less than a 3Ph plug. He explained that the cord and socket were wired so the 3 phase wires went where they was supposed to ... and he had used a red marker to mark the 3Ph socket.
120/240/3Ph all side by suide - He thought it was pure genius.
I asked him what will happen when sooner or later he or someone else plugs a normal 115VAC tool into the red socket, or plugs the three phase motor into the 115VAC socket ????? He said when he had the money he would change them. I never was back again, but I sure hope he changed it.

Good point Stacy. I should point out that my Father is a mechanical engineer and also was an electrician in the Air Force so he knows what he is doing. He does do some weird things from time to time.....I blame that on the engineer side haha.

It is not just a matter of convenience, but safer to use the right plug and socket.

220/240VAC tools that draw 20 amps or less are almost always made with NEMA-6-20 plugs. A NEMA-6-20 socket will take a NEMA-6-20 plug. That is the RIGHT plug for that type circuit.

Using odd socket types and dryer plugs/flea market sockets may not insure proper wiring and circuit/device protection. Just because both the plug and socket are wired the same way isn't a guarantee that the circuit isn't wired wrong. Sooner or later someone may try and plug a device wired right into the wired-wrong socket .... and bad things may happen.

I have personally seen a shop where the person built his shop in a 12X10 portable garden shed from HD.
He wired 240 to the shop from the house with a long extension cord that he plugged into the dryer socket. Not a good idea, but it will work.
He split it into 120 and 240 volt sockets on the bench in a 3-gang box.
He had a 3 phase converter that he picked up surplus. He put the 3 phase wiring from the converter in the third slot of the 3-gang box, using a standard 15 amp 115VAC socket ( NEMA-1-15). He justified it because he had bought a 10-pack box of them a HD, and the box of them was cheaper than one NEMA-11-15 three phase socket.
He used standard 15 amp pigtail to wire the 3 phase motor on the grinder he had built. Again, he pointed out that the pigtail cost much less than a 3Ph plug. He explained that the cord and socket were wired so the 3 phase wires went where they was supposed to ... and he had used a red marker to mark the 3Ph socket.
120/240/3Ph all side by suide - He thought it was pure genius.
I asked him what will happen when sooner or later he or someone else plugs a normal 115VAC tool into the red socket, or plugs the three phase motor into the 115VAC socket ????? He said when he had the money he would change them. I never was back again, but I sure hope he changed it.
Sometimes I wonder why it is always stressed that you should hire an electrician for even the most basic stuff. I don't understand why people fret about running a new circuit, switching out a fixture or an outlet themselves. Then I remember that there are people like this out there...

Sometimes I wonder why it is always stressed that you should hire an electrician for even the most basic stuff. I don't understand why people fret about running a new circuit, switching out a fixture or an outlet themselves. Then I remember that there are people like this out there...

Residential wiring is quite simple, and really doesn't take any special skills or tools to do correctly. The problem is, that it doesn't take any special tools or skills to do INCORRECTLY either. For instance, other than colors, there's really no safeguards against reversing polarity, or adding an extra hot to a standard 110VAC outlet. Reversing ground and common is easy to do too, and many tools, appliances, etc... will still function with improper wiring, though at the same time creating some potentially very hazardous conditions.
I've also seen plenty of people put the wires in the correct order, but connect them in such a way that they were unsafe or could easily become unsafe, shock or fire hazards being the main concerns.

Residential wiring is quite simple, and really doesn't take any special skills or tools to do correctly. The problem is, that it doesn't take any special tools or skills to do INCORRECTLY either. For instance, other than colors, there's really no safeguards against reversing polarity, or adding an extra hot to a standard 110VAC outlet. Reversing ground and common is easy to do too, and many tools, appliances, etc... will still function with improper wiring, though at the same time creating some potentially very hazardous conditions.
I've also seen plenty of people put the wires in the correct order, but connect them in such a way that they were unsafe or could easily become unsafe, shock or fire hazards being the main concerns.

Very very true.

When I built my shop I did all the wiring myself, including a sub panel, 220, lights and all the outlets.

But before powering the shop I had a master electrician come over and check everything to make sure it was done correctly.

He also connected the shop to the main service for me.

Best $100 I spent on the shop.

There are so many 220V plugs out there. My Dad put in some weird ass outlet when we wired my "shop" for 220. Now every tool that comes with a more standard plug I have to cut and replace.

Change the outlet and be done with it!

Wouldn't it be a bit easier to switch the outlet than cut all of your tool cords?

But then you need to explain to your father why the favor/work he did for you is not right. I would rather change the cords than take the chance of hurting his feelings.

Electrocution, fire or damaged equipment does not care about ones feelings.
He didn't say it was wrong, just with different plugs. They could be twist locks or something, that doesn't mean it's dangerous.

He didn't say it was wrong, just with different plugs. They could be twist locks or something, that doesn't mean it's dangerous.
I dunno what "He" said. Some other guy indicated the work was not right, what generally means it was wrong.
I implied dangerous, Considering whats at stake is usually true with just about anything high energy electrical.
/work he did for you is not right. I would rather change

Last edited:
Back