U.S. source for Traser glow rings?

Shootist,

Not to my knowledge as they fall under some law of your atomic control agency who classified them as gadgets :( .

But I know a source in Holland :D, our scouting group sometimes sells some extras as a fundraiser :cool:.

Best Scoutinmg wishes from Holland,

Bagheera

Originally posted by Sierra1
So when is the next fundraiser? I need about 6 of the green ones.

Me too. Let me know when you are going to do it again.

shootist....bagheera is right....i inquired with the parent company about six months ago about starting/securing a distributorship here in the usa and its territories.....the glow rings are classified as novelties by the nuclear regulatory commission and even though it would take a near act of congress and some extreme lobbying i am trying to go through the numerous hoops and hurdles to hopefully get them reclassified as safety devices and hopefully be able to legally import them....until then the scouting troop is an excellent source for these and they are honest in the dealings....i have bought at least six from the scouts and bagheera and they are an excellent safety products and not a friggin novelty....feverdoc

just another thumbs-up for Bagheera and his troop: good dealing, pricing, and prompt, courteous service. Plus, it helps some kids have money for more scouting equipment.

I have a green one, and love it.

Joe S.

Even if they do become available in the U.S. I will continue to buy from Bagheera as he is courteous, prompt in e-mail replies, and represents a good cause. I mean c'mon, buying from Bagheera supports scouting.

Piet is the Man! I've bought 4 from him already and have another 4 due in next week.

Support the Scouts!

S.

Thanks guys for the kind words.

The Glowrings are absolutely safe and even when you would take out the H3 (Tritium) filled small glastube and bite on it the H3 would be less dangerous then the glass from the tube that you bit.

At the moment we are still waiting for a back delivery of Ice-Blue Glowrings as Traser-UK experienced in the last 4 weeks what their head sales manager Roger Green called "a Glowring Nightmare".
They sold out the glowrings in stock and then the company making the Lexan keychains had delays and when they delivered the mother company in Switserland that produces the Globtubes couldn't deliver Yellow tubes and then not even Ice-Blue ones.

We now got Green, Yellow and Blue ones from our own order + some extras but we just received word from Traser-UK that the Ice-Blue Glowrings will be ready for shipping 2nd (end off?) week of September.

We will get the Ice-Blue ones as back delivery but if any of you guys & girls would like Glowrings (Green, Yellow, Blue and Ice-Blue) and can wait a few weeks drop me an email.

Sofar we were able to buy some "items" for our group from the fundraiser money the Woodsmaster series from Ron&Karen Hood is the most expensive but we got it 2nd hand from a fellow forumite :D. Our scouts really like the tapes. A compass (Brunton eclipse) and several small Tasco monoculars. These items are all extremely expensive in Holland.

I know that Traser-UK is also looking into making outher "glowtube" items but sofar I havent seen any examples.

On the bright side, I (we) just received their futuristic "plastimo" compass for testing/evaluating and it has several flat glowtubes inside that make reading the scales a breeze even in complete darkness. I will try making some pictures and putting them on my photopoint pages and write an short description/evaluation report on the compass.

Best Scouting wishes from Holland,

Bagheera

Piet is the greatest! How he gets toys to us in the US so cheaply and still comes away with money for the scouts amazes me! Way to go Piet!!:eek: :D :eek:

Hi folks. Since I love things that glow (I also love shiny, sparkly things ;) this discussion caught my eye. I searched and found a picture of some Traser Glowrings that were glowing in a dark environment so unfortunately I couldn't see what the housing looks like. Are these rings for fingers, or keyrings, or something else? Also, what would be reasonable to pay for one? Thanks for the information.:)

Hi peacefuljeffrey, Sierra1

The Glowrings are NOT the Glowrings that you see offered as house/techno party gadgets these often are real rings you put around your finger.

Glowrings from Traser UK are key-chain attachements they are about 1.5” by 3/8” by 3/8” clear Lexan key-chains with a split-ring on one side and inside is a almost 1” long 1/16” diameter glass tube with a phosphor coating and filled with Tritium gas at about 2.5 Bar pressure, this way they can stuff inside the tube about 250 Millicuries of "radioactivity" (Beta emitor).

The radioactive decay of the Tritium gas causes the phosphor to get “excited” and when it drops back to normal energy levels it emits light (glow) there are 4 colors possible.

The Tritium has a 12.5 year halftime and the Glowrings are guaranteed to glow for at least 10 years by Traser.
Go see http://www.traser-uk.com for more info.

These key-chains are all assembled BY HAND by some English ladies wo put an glasglowtube inside the Lexan keychain then put a drop of silicon on it and press the closing nipple in/on it.
I've heard that Traser is developping an machine that can do this automatically but until then each Glowring is assembled by hand.

I hope that that is enough info for you.

Sierra1, you have no email address so if you need some Glowrings drop me (us) an email at phenskens@hotmail.com.
We will get a back delivery in about 2 weeks time of Ice-Blue Glowrings but we can add other colors for you guys to it if we know on time.

Bagheera

E-mail sent. Also, these are not really manufactured in the UK and contain about .4 ci of He3. Regardless, these are great items!

Piet is okay! BTW Piet, or anyone else that can answer this question. Which color is the brightest?

I got the Green one, as it is the brightest, supposedly.

Just be aware that it is no so much a conventional lighting device. On a good night, when it is very dark otherwise, I can use mine to read by, albeit somewhat slowly and with a bit of strain. But it's primary use is as a signalling device (it makes it easy to find your keys if you drop them).

Joe S.

Originally posted by copfish
Piet is okay! BTW Piet, or anyone else that can answer this question. Which color is the brightest?

In order of brightness:

Green, Yellow, Ice Blue, Blue (Purple)

Hi Guys & girls,

Our Scouting group received all but the Ice-Blue Glowrings and we've send some of the extra ones to fellow Forumites who asked us for them.

The Ice-Blue Glowrings are on back-order as Traser-UK's Roger Green conformed us and will most probably be on their way to our group end of NEXT week.

When they arrive we'll send the ones asked for to the Forumites who asked for them.

Also we can (and have already :) ) added Glowrings to our standing back-order as Traser UK, well Roger Green asked our group to let him know how many we would require for .... the next 3 months as they were preparing for Christmas orders already!! and not ordered on time means NO Glowrings on time :(.

So if any of you Glowring starved forumites has been thinking of asking me (us) about them in the next few months be quick otherwise we will not get any on time.

Bagheera

I have a green one and my wife has a blue one. The green one is brighter but the blue one is cooler!!

Piet is a great guy to deal with. I've ordered two glowrings and a firesteel from him and have been pleased with both the products, the price, and especially the shipping. PLUS this helps out the Scouts. Everyone wins...

--Matt

saw this mentioned in the Traser thread [which is incidentally one of the few times I'm pleased for gadget purposes to live in the UK]

Trasers rock - but what's the firesteel?

Back