UK Knife Laws - A New Hope?

Sadly, this is not about sensibly revising current legislation in the UK, but concerns a positive initiative to deal with forthcoming new legislation.

There is a law in the pipeline that will ban the online sale of knives to residential addresses. Yes, I know. Consider the implications for dozens of businesses, not least for custom makers. It’s almost as if HMG scratched their heads and thought, ‘With the economy grinding to a halt post-Brexit, how can we further spread domestic misery?’

However, it seems there may be hope for those of us who would face a 500 mile round trip to visit a really decent knife shop, and for those businesses facing inevitable closure.

I received an email from, wait for it, Cold Steel, and imagine my surprise when it wasn’t a link to a video of a portly gent attacking animal carcasses with unfeasibly large and impractical folding knives. Instead it offered a link to a project starting in December.

Briefly, the idea is to build up a network of existing B&M shops (not specifically knife shops), which will act as a drop off for online retailers. The customer then picks up their purchase in person, without having to travel 250 miles to do so.

I won’t put a link up, as I’m not sure it would be allowed. But this thread is not about promoting any one retailer, and rather in support of all UK knife retailers. It is refreshing to see such a positive and practical response to this new, senseless legislation.

That has got to be the most stupid law I've seen and believe me , I've read about many. I don't really understand why a local B&M store would want to have the responsibility of being involved in someone else's business transaction ? Does this insanity include kitchen cutlery as well? Thanks for posting this Pilsner !

I know, right?

Yes, I believe it will apply to all knives, including kitchen knives. It is a prime example of useless politics by gesture.

I can see why a brick and mortar store might want to do this - extra cash flow. Think of it like a gun store's FFL license (not a gun owner, so might be a little outdated on the terminology). You buy a gun online, but can't ship it directly to your house. You need a third party. For a fee, the gun shop closest to your house takes delivery of your new firearm until you can pick it up. It complicates the transaction by adding an additional party and additional money, but it's a solution to an otherwise poor situation.

I can see why a brick and mortar store might want to do this - extra cash flow. Think of it like a gun store's FFL license (not a gun owner, so might be a little outdated on the terminology). You buy a gun online, but can't ship it directly to your house. You need a third party. For a fee, the gun shop closest to your house takes delivery of your new firearm until you can pick it up. It complicates the transaction by adding an additional party and additional money, but it's a solution to an otherwise poor situation.

Spot on.

Just be prepared for the HUGE drop in knife crime when this legislation come into force! :rolleyes:
Yes, Downing Street ignores the inconvenient fact that the vast majority of stabbings in the UK are done with kitchen knives.

Interestingly, I suspect some of the impetus for this futile legislation is due to an ongoing trial of a husband and wife who were planning terrorist acts.

Part of the evidence revolves around the husband demanding the wife buy him a £500 knife. She refused, saying something along the lines of “They all do the same thing!” and pointing out that they needed money for baby clothes. She compromised and bought him a £300 knife, made by Cold Steel.

It’s all ridiculous, of course. But glad that UK suppliers are being proactive, at least.

Yes, Downing Street ignores the inconvenient fact that the vast majority of stabbings in the UK are done with kitchen knives.

Interestingly, I suspect some of the impetus for this futile legislation is due to an ongoing trial of a husband and wife who were planning terrorist acts.

Part of the evidence revolves around the husband demanding the wife buy him a £500 knife. She refused, saying something along the lines of “They all do the same thing!” and pointing out that they needed money for baby clothes. She compromised and bought him a £300 knife, made by Cold Steel.

It’s all ridiculous, of course. But glad that UK suppliers are being proactive, at least.

Maybe they'll require the pick-up locations to have a knife surrender bin in front of the store. You've gotta drop one off before you can pick one up! :p

They're not ignoring the kitchen knives. There is an discussion about banning pointy kitchen knives as they're not necessary by the nanny standard.

They're not ignoring the kitchen knives. There is an discussion about banning pointy kitchen knives as they're not necessary by the nanny standard.
True enough, sadly. They won’t manage it though. :)

There is a reason why we left and started our own country......

Not sure this is a GKD thread though.
Yes, I was a bit worried it would be too political, but the intention was to applaud this initiative by our knife community in the UK. I will understand if the mods move it.

This was the first thought that popped into my mind, too (that this will be handled like an FFL transfer here in the States). I can't imagine having to do that for a knife, but you've gotta do what you've gotta do. I hope this works out for UK knife knuts. :thumbsup:

The USA is so much more sensible on this issue.

In some places. NY is on the same path though.

The USA is more interested in demonizing firearms at the moment, which isn't much of an issue in the UK since they gave up their freedom ages ago.

It’s almost as if HMG scratched their heads and thought, ‘With the economy grinding to a halt post-Brexit, how can we further spread domestic misery?’

I realize that remainers dont care for Brexit but the economy is clearly NOT grinding to a halt and could you please keep your politics out of GeeDee.

We are here for the knives.

As for the latter, Ive heard about the proposal. Its silly but why am I not surprised. Life for knife afficionados in the UK is not easy.

Its the writing on the wall; first the guns then the knives.
As for how nuts it is; if you travel with for example a hunting firearm and want to fly British Airways, you have to pay an extra fee (on top of your ticket) of £125 to pay for a special firearms expert to be called and evaluate the firearm and the transport of it.

Nuts.

Eventually it might end up like that in regards to knives as well.
I wouldnt be surprised.

Back