under rated custom makers?

shootist16

knife law moderator
I know that there are custom makers out there that make a knife as well or better than the big name guys. There knives probably sell for less because they are relatively unknown. They may be up and comers. Anyone care to name some makers that they feel are under rated?

------------------
Dennis Bible

GenO Denning, protoge of George Herron. Very high quality work. Stock removal pieces. Variety of materials. Fit and finish are impeccable.

Herb Derr does amazing forged damascus for the price. Very good sheath work. Slightly less impressive grinds and fit.

For folders, Wayne Clark and Kevin Kimsey. Smooth action, solidly built, and detailed finishes. Own a Clark folder, dreaming of getting a Kimsey...

For fixed blades, Mr. Jerry Hossom. Truly a custom maker. If you haven't ordered one of his Millennium series knives, you're missing out on a really special experience. Check him out at www.hossom.com

Folders, Roger Echols,,, Fighters-Hunters, Tim Foster,,, Bowies-Camp knives, John Fitch. All of these are not well known as of now but I expect that in a year or so, all of them will command and get at least twice the price they are getting today. They ARE that good!!!!!

------------------
old pete

Dick Atkinson,

I just bought one and I can't believe he sells these as cheaply as he does. My liner lock locks up solid, has a nicely hand rubbed finish, and is nicely fileworked. It's also as smooth as any custom I've handled. For less than 200.00, his knives are
one of the best bargains in the custom field.

Vince Evans and Mr. Dick are both good and offer products at a bargin for what you are getting. I used one of Mr. Dicks knives to carry with me on Burbon street at the Guild Show in '99.

I don't know if John Greco would is underated, but he may qualify as somewhat unknown. I'm amazed at the lack of posts concerning his knives. I.M.H.O. John makes about the best hundred dollar custom knife around. The're STRONG, Good steel,{A-2}, have good grind lines, & are great simple designs. Please don't flame me on this, but even though I like Busse knives,{own a INFI Mean Street}, I think Greco probably gives better value for the money. Maybe since he has'nt got a website yet has something to do with it. Just my opinion
wink.gif

[This message has been edited by Hart (edited 31 December 1999).]

Mgk-I agree with you, Dick Atkinson's knives are great for the price. He has been making knives for over 30 years and has been featured in many articles and books.
Also, Tilton Bowen of W.Va. makes excellent hunting knives of D2 and pakkawood for $65-80 .

------------------
lifter
Phil. 4:13

Dave
Wharton,NJ

I'm going to say Ray Kirk, d/b/a Raker Knives.

Ray makes great knives whether using his own damascus, or doing stock removal on bar stock.

His knives are the sharpest or as sharp as any knife I have ever owned and he is a true gentleman.

Of course, if I keep this up, he won't be relatively unknown for long, his prices will go up, as will the wait time.
wink.gif

Highest recommendation.

Blues

------------------
Live Free or Die

Some Knife Pix

Tom Anderson worked with Howard Viele and now makes some outstanding tactical folders.

Marzitelli from Canada.Fraley from Calif.Both make good quality folders.And are not well known.
I second Echols.Have one of his scale releases in Damascus that he forged.Stunning.

------------------

have a"knife"day

I would have to agree with knifeknut. Tom Anderson is going to hit the bigtime one day.
I am fortunate to have one of his folders and it is EXCEPTIONAL.
biggrin.gif

Check out his fixed blades. As far as I know he has only made two. They are sweet.
biggrin.gif

------------------
If a man can keep alert and imaginative, an error is a possibility, a chance at something new; to him, wandering and wondering are a part of the same process. He is most mistaken, most in error, whenever he quits exploring.

William Least Heat Moon

I had forgot about Greco. Good value as well as Echols.

I agree with many of the above. Have thought Dick Atkinson makes one of the best bargins as far as a handmade folder out there. Boyd Ashworth is making some fine folders. Randy Gilbreath has been around making some fine stuff for a long while.

Although he is fairly well known among serious knife folks, i think Joe Flournoy is the most under rated. I say this based on the quality of his work (among the best) and how little you hear about his knives in general. He is also a super nice guy, always willing to give advice to a greenhorn like myself.

------------------
"Eternal vigilance is the price of liberty"
Thomas Jefferson

Have to agree on Joe Flournoy, I have 2 of his knives 1 of them being the first damascus knife he ever sold. A 6" skinner purchased at the Orlando guild show in 88 or 89. His work is excellent and prices very fair

------------------

RM

Blues,
Sushhhhhh!!!
wink.gif

------------------
Cheers,

--+Brian+--

aka Dagda the Insatiable, Member of the Terrible Ironic HORDE
"I may be goin' to hell in a bucket, Babe, but at least I'm enjoyin' the ride."

I also think Tom Anderson makes a good quality folder.I bought his Mini-Mohawk folder at the N.Y. show.

Back