under rated custom makers?

Two makers I respect who are friendly, helpfull and make some bad a** knives.

Ricky Fowler
ruler_right.jpg

And Bruce Evans
Toys_by_bruce.jpg

There have been some great makers named here and to repeat them would just be that.
Names I haven't seen that I think need to be added are:

Pat Nihiser who one the Best New Maker at Blade Show. I looked at his work before he won because Kit Carson said, "Go look at this guys work."

Mike Obernauf also has a connection to Kit, it's his son-in-law. Mike sold out at his first show, and if Kit is proud of the work Mike is doing, well, that's good enough for me.

Gavin Dickerson from South Africa he does beautiful work, IMO under-rated and under-priced.

Those Jones Brothers..They are sleepers...U get a chance check them out, I know U will not be disappointed....I agree with Darrel Ralph Andrew is a great knife maker.

I'm not underrated
I can't keep a blade in the shop
At 8 months behind in work
I must be doing ok? Right??
Just low Keyed :p
Good thing my knives are sharper then my spelling.
Despite today there will be a Tomorrow:cool:
...<B>Dan</B>..
.<B><I><A HREF="http://www.kynd.com/~graydg/kniveslist4.html">Gray Knives</A></I></B>

Roger Dole of Buckley Wa. His folders are as good as they get and his prices are extremely reasonable. From tactical to fancy Roger's pieces have incredible fit, finish, and action.
http://home.earthlink.net/~rd11056/
His shop is being renovated but he'll be back to work soon.

Lessee, Ray Kirk :D , Dick Atkinson :D , Bub Worrell :eek: , Max Burnett :eek: , Terry Hearn :D , well that is my short list, but I could give you names if you want NAMES, but best way to find out is to hunt them up. I would say look these folks up, look at their work and see what ya think. And I am referring to ALL the "underrated makers" in this thread, not just in this message.

One of the most under rated knife makers that I know if is out of Lufkin, TX. His name is Terry Hearn. I have a very nice fileworked folder of his that won best folder at last years Central Texas Show. He also makes great neck knives for under 100.00 and does great mirror polishing.

Check this folder out:
hearnbf.jpg

I hate to keep beating this same old drum by JASON JACKS is underated IMHO.

I would have to add Ray Rogers of Everett, Washington to the list. I don't hear his name mentioned very often, but he is at the top of my list of favorites. Great quality knives at very affordable prices. His Integral folders are something great! ;)

I've been seeing alot of Bob Doggett's knives at CKD. That fellow is really talented. I don't know about under rated but he definately does great work. Go to CKD and look in on the photo contest to see some of his work. Folders and fixed. Very slick.

Well known but don't get the recognition they deserve: Rick Hinderer, Jeff Chaffee and Don Maxwell. Less well known but makes a great tactical: Les Adams. Great value: Tom Watson and Dick Atkinson. I just picked up an Atkinson and for the money I'm blown away by how much knife you get.

He's not really underrated, but I have to tip my hat to Tom Anderson. I recently picked up his Papoose model and think that it is as solid a small tactical as I have ever owned. I like it better than my LCC or small Model 4. It is not light but it is incredibly sturdy and its action is smoother than any other knife I own. Another maker that I love is a local man, Paul Myers. His knives are all traditional styles and they walk and talk better than a vintage Case XX. His prices are also very competitive.

Maybe the idea of "under-rated" isn't what's intended... (?) That kind of implies "he's doing better work than people give him credit for". I'm not sure that was the intent.

Two things people seem to be suggesting with their recommendations:
1. "High value" , i.e. "bang for the buck"
2. "Under-publicized" and "relatively unknown" but making good product, perhaps also at high value.

Given that, I agree w/ a number of the recommendations, and have picked up some to chase down...thanks!

~~~~~~~~~~~

I'll second Melvin Dunn (experienced 440V heat treater, and filet knives).

Ross Norfleet for a high quality, no frills hunting knife w/ a nice sheath. (I think it's "Ross"...?)

~~~~~~~~~~~

And in the category of "WOW...that's a combination of Ditmar Kressler integral perfection w/ Steve Johnson fit/finish, but w/ more flair and finesse", a guy named Reinhard Tschager out of Northern Italy does dynamite integrals with a real delicate flair and sense of style. Tremendous stuff. THIS guy is relatively unknown in the US and his name never pops up in the "high talent/integral" category.

He and his wife speak just a little simple English, but are just super nice people. She can interpret simple English if you write to them or speak simply. I own a 4" dropped point hunter in Fritz Schneider SS damascus, integral, w/ mammoth. One of my prized possessions along w/ a couple Broadwell's and a Fisk.

Make a point to catch him at a show if he travels...saw him at both of the past two Guild shows (next one is in Orlando).

Reinhard Tschager
Piazza Parrocchia 7
I-39100
Bolzano, Italy

I should like to submit Anders Hogstrom.He is a Swedish gentelman of 26 years.He has been making knives for about 6 years,studied under
Scott Slobodian for about 2 years.If you know
Scotts work you know Anders has a Japanese
flair but also a touch of the Viking.I purchased an incredible straight from him.
A six inch 1050 differentially treated
kwaiken style blade,hand cast sterling furniture and the most beautiful one piece
mastsdon ivory handle.I wish I had a way to post a photo.My visit with Anders Hogstrom
was the highlite of The Blade Show West last
year.He usually can be found on The Blade
Gallery.He does GREAT work!!!!!!!!

Back