Uneven Bevel On My Paramilitary 2

Hi guys,

I'm a long time reader, first time poster. I recently got into knives, and bought a Delica 4 a few months ago. It's been a GREAT EDC! However, I found myself looking for a big larger blade with a different lock. I found the blade shape perfect, I just wished that there was a bit more of it and I found myself wanting a finger choil.

As you can tell (from the title of this thread) this led me to a PM2. I was able to get one online and it came in a few days ago. The lockup is SOLID. I do have an issue with the knife though.

I bevel on the knife is very irregular. The knife still came shaving sharp, but the bevel on one side goes up the blade about 2-3mm more than the other side. This is occurring right by the tip. Overall, between this and the fact that the knife appears less smooth than what I've seen in some videos, I'm debating parting ways with it. Also, I have a love/hate relationship with the handle. When it's not in my hand, I think that there is too much of it, but when holding the knife I find the ergonomics perfect.

I'm wondering what I should do. Here are the options I'm considering and I'd love your opinions to sway me one way or the other.

1. Send the knife back, get a refund. Pick up a different model knife, maybe a BM 940?

2. Send the knife to Spyderco and hope they fix it. Honestly, I think the bevel irregularity might just be a function of buying a production knife and I should probably just accept it as is. I don't have high confidence that Spyderco would be able to fix the issue, as I'm fairly certain that this is well within tolerances.

3. Use it and enjoy it. When the blade gets dull, just have it re-profiled to ensure that the bevel is good to go.

Thanks for your input and helping me figure out what to do. I'm strongly leaning towards option 3 since the more I fondle it, the more I love it.

I'd use it an enjoy it. Depending on your abilities and available equipment reprofiling really isn't too big of a deal. As for smoothness, it's a brand new knife, it needs a little breaking in. It'll smooth out nicely as you open and close it. Also, like you mentioned, it is a production knife, there are slight variances from knife to knife. Some are a bit tighter than others. If you really aren't happy with it, give spyderco a call and see what they can do for you. Otherwise, with the scarcity of para2s these days, if you were to decide to sell it, it would be gone in a matter of minutes.

Thanks for your input and helping me figure out what to do. I'm strongly leaning towards option 3 since the more I fondle it, the more I love it.

^ based on this, keep it.

Also, if you like the PM2, IMO the 940 is a terrible choice to consider as an alternative. I have both, and love the 940, but it's about the PM2's opposite. It's much, much smaller closed, it's lighter, and it has a longer sharpened edge, compared the PM2 which is mostly handle. If you like the PM2, the slim little 940 is unlikely to please you.

The PM2 is a fine knife, and you like it and already have it. I'd suggest you use it, fix the bevel over time when you're sharpening it, and enjoy the pleasure of finding a knife you love.

Last edited:
I would use it as it...2-3mm isn't a big deal. And like evilgreg said, the 940 is totally different than the Para 2. Most spyderco productions come with bevels that just a bit uneven because they are production knives, and often times you can't even tell.

If you're looking for another knife with terrific ergos, check out Emerson. US made, tons of blade shapes to meet your needs, and of course, the WAVE!

That happens sometimes with para's and millies, some people say it's a production knife thing, but i don't really get why i don't really see that in other cheaper spydercos like delicas. I don't know, could be a FFG S30V thing, like harder to make it perfect. Anyways, i would suggest return it if you can, get the 940, see how you like that, and if you don't get another para 2. The 940 has a very nice blade to handle ratio.

lol, return a spyderco that came shaving sharp, but had a bit of an uneven grind for a benchmade, which will most likely come NOT shaving sharp and with an even, but horribly obtuse grind? I'd rather reprofile out an inch or so of blade on one side near the tip, compared to getting the edge knocked down 10 degrees on both sides of an entire BM knife blade...

keep the PM2. It will sharpen out with time, or just spend a little time reprofiling if you are that anal about it.

My most expensive knife, a sprint run Military, came with an edge discrepancy near the tip. It has been my main EDC, and that has never been an issue. The steel is so damn wear resistant I haven't even come close to sharpening the edge bevel down to equal yet through normal use and sharpening.

It sounds like you love the knife. Returning it for a completely different kind of knife because of a simple edge "issue" doesn't make sense to me. But I'm not very OCD about these things.

Return it to Customer Service with a note requesting an even grind. You will get back a fine knife. Don't doubt Sal's Service.
Sonnydaze

... If you're looking for another knife with terrific ergos, check out Emerson. US made, tons of blade shapes to meet your needs, and of course, the WAVE!

:thumbup: ...and, of course... no worries about uneven bevels. You've only got one bevel! :D

Without pictures, tough to say, I don't pay attention to factory edges anymore except as a metric for QC.

The 940 is one of my favorite knives even though it has an aluminum handle... Heck if a working knife.

That being said, while there are very few factory edges that I am happy with, my experience with the last few Benchmade knives was even bevels and sharp enough to take hair off my arm, sure, the edge is thicker than Spydercos, but is factory angle all that important?

If you think the build quality isn't there send it back for warranty.

imagebwpn.jpg

Every USA/Taiwan made Spyderco (and most other knives) I've owned has had a butchered bevel one one side and required reprofiling.
Mine was also well off, 1.5mm more in width than the other side and some spots. Very shoddy sharpening imho.
Also have had this problem with higher end steels but those have good reason (wear resistance is high thus requires multiple touch ups on the belt).

I would advice sending it back for a replacement. The uneven bevel will mess your sharpening and honing in the future until you correct it.

Sharpen it reprofile it will be fine. That's something you should be able to fix easy. If your going to use it wait till you dull it. No point in taking it off if it cuts fine now.

Mine came in a similar fashion. I'd say use it and it will break in. That thing cuts so nicely that in my mind, a mm up or down is moot by a users standpoint. Aesthetically may be a different matter.

Every USA/Taiwan made Spyderco (and most other knives) I've owned has had a butchered bevel one one side and required reprofiling.
Mine was also well off, 1.5mm more in width than the other side and some spots. Very shoddy sharpening imho.
Also have had this problem with higher end steels but those have good reason (wear resistance is high thus requires multiple touch ups on the belt).

I would advice sending it back for a replacement. The uneven bevel will mess your sharpening and honing in the future until you correct it.

"The uneven bevel will mess your sharpening and honing in the future until you correct it."

I think that's interesting point you made Luis G.
My post from last Jan. showing my rather different bevels on my PM2.
http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/1028648-On-a-new-Para-Military-2-should-the-bevel-edges-look-the-same-on-both-sides?p=11729184#post11729184

...the bevel on one side goes up the blade about 2-3mm more than the other side...

I'm not one to worry about a little un-evenness in the bevels, but if the secondary bevels are on one side are indeed 2-3mm (about a tenth of an inch) higher then the other, I would say that was unacceptable.

Photos are sorely needed in this thread.

Big Mike

I think that's interesting point you made Luis G.
My post from last Jan. showing my rather different bevels on my PM2.
http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/1028648-On-a-new-Para-Military-2-should-the-bevel-edges-look-the-same-on-both-sides?p=11729184#post11729184

If one side is ground far more than another at a different angle, do you think the edge is aligned properly with the spine? It's not.
This can introduce a good chunk of lateral pressure on the edge when pressing straight down. Remember pressure is dependent on surface area, so the edge can easily be put to hundreds of pounds per square inch. It is important to have the edge centered and straight to help keep the edge long lasting.

Back