Update / Review on my Recluse (Warning: Long)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Man I'm sorry you had a problem with your knife but you bought a PRODUTION knife from Bark River - so I'm not sure why you come here to complain about something that is out of Andy's control -

You want a knife? Buy the real thing! or take your problem to the BR forum

Man I'm sorry you had a problem with your knife but you bought a PRODUTION knife from Bark River - so I'm not sure why you come here to complain about something that is out of Andy's control -

You want a knife? Buy the real thing! or take your problem to the BR forum

I don't think I'm complaining about it, just reporting my experiences. The last thing I want to do is come off as a whiner.

I did not post here expecting a resolution, and certainly not expecting anything of Andy. I understand that it is out of his control. However, I did post here because the knife is marked with Fiddleback, NOT Bark River. If I designed a knife and had someone else build it for me, I would still want to hear feedback from customers. Wouldn't you?

As for taking it back to BRKT: I already have, and they failed to fix it. I'm not going to spend more of my money on international postage for them to try again. I'll try and fix it myself, and if I can't then I will contact Mike Stewart from BRKT again to have it replaced.

Why the hostility, dude?

I'm actually at a bit of loss as to why you aren't requesting that BRKT refund you for the knife. You've got nothing to lose other than the frustration of trying to make the knife usable as well as the worry that that the knife will fail you at the wrong time.

Andy has said that if you are unsatisfied with how BRKT handles the situation, maybe something from him could get a better rating. Were it me, I'd look into that further and actually give him a call. I don't know, but I think that getting the real deal from Andy would be the way to go rather than deal with the headache your BRKT has been.

G'day RedbeAr15 & RyanS

I'll put my hand in the air & own up to encouraging NC to provide a follow up on the knife on this forum as seen in post #37 here: http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=781983&page=2 :thumbup:

After all, the problem was originally reported on this forum and to be honest, I really don't want to be going to multiple internet sites to follow the evolution of an issue. :D

Please also bear in mind, that the follow up included comments about the design (as well as the execution).

I may very well be wrong here, but IMO the comments about the design warrants posting here :thumbup:

Let's not forget the difference between constructive critism & critism for the sake of it :D

IMO, constructive critism leads to improvement :thumbup::thumbup:

Kind regards
Mick

I'm actually at a bit of loss as to why you aren't requesting that BRKT refund you for the knife. You've got nothing to lose other than the frustration of trying to make the knife usable as well as the worry that that the knife will fail you at the wrong time.

Andy has said that if you are unsatisfied with how BRKT handles the situation, maybe something from him could get a better rating. Were it me, I'd look into that further and actually give him a call. I don't know, but I think that getting the real deal from Andy would be the way to go rather than deal with the headache your BRKT has been.

I'm sure one of Andy's knives would be fantastic, but honestly I'm hesitant to look into it because money is tight right now. Not only that, but I'm sure he already has his hands full with Christmas orders as is. I have no doubt that some day I'll own a custom Fiddleback (of all the knives I see posted here, Fiddleback's are ALWAYS the ones that make me drool), but I'm going to give it some time first.

I own the Recluse already, so I'm going to do everything I personally can do to make it work. I don't want this knife to be wasted steel. I guess I'm a bit hard-headed in that regard. But, the frustration involved just teaches me new lessons. I can take the easy way out and send it back, or try and solve the problem on my own. Which one benefits me more in the long run? ;)

In my hands it would be returned for refund and money put down on a Fiddleback, BUT I respect your insistance on making this knife useable. By Andy allowing another maker to use his design and trademark- he is also acknowledging a little bit of resposibility for what is produced and I think we have clearly seen him step forward to help resolve this in any way he can.
For me I see that BRKT put out a knife that does not meet QC, made one attempt to fix it(still not fixed to customers satisfaction-nor would it be up to mine) and Andy stepped up to see if he can help. Short of the fact that BRKT refix was not up to snuff.... I do not see any ball dropping.
NC, I do hope that you end up with something you are satisfied with. In these times, spending money really means you need to have a good tool. Tools are an investment, not in resale value but in the amount of work you can get out of them.
2Door

Anyway, I don't think my knife's issue is with the steel or the heat treat. My knife hasn't chipped out at all, only bent. Correct me if I am wrong, but a knife bending over chipping is a sign of a good heat treatment, correct?

No, bending to easily is just as much a sign of a bad heat treat (or possibly over-heated tip during the grind...been there done that) as chipping too easily.

The first is a sign of being too low, while the latter is a sign of being too high.

...I own the Recluse already, so I'm going to do everything I personally can do to make it work. I don't want this knife to be wasted steel. I guess I'm a bit hard-headed in that regard....

IMO, what you got here is a lemon. If it is not immediately replaced or refunded, then please call me. I feel horrible, even though I didn't make this knife, that a knife with my brand name on it has disapointed you so much.

404-519-2787

Maybe something from me can get a better rating.

Sounds like Andy is trying to make it right whatever it takes, even by offering up one of his own.

Andy makes great knives, so if you are too hard headed to take him up on his offer there may be a chance you are too hard headed for your own good :)

Not that we haven't all been there at one point or another...I'm just sayin'...

I'm sure one of Andy's knives would be fantastic, but honestly I'm hesitant to look into it because money is tight right now. Not only that, but I'm sure he already has his hands full with Christmas orders as is. I have no doubt that some day I'll own a custom Fiddleback (of all the knives I see posted here, Fiddleback's are ALWAYS the ones that make me drool), but I'm going to give it some time first.

I own the Recluse already, so I'm going to do everything I personally can do to make it work. I don't want this knife to be wasted steel. I guess I'm a bit hard-headed in that regard. But, the frustration involved just teaches me new lessons. I can take the easy way out and send it back, or try and solve the problem on my own. Which one benefits me more in the long run? ;)

NC,

I understand the money situation. I don't know of anyone who isn't tightening up their belt.....which I why I would encourage you to reconsider. You dropped to $200 on the knife and then shipping one way to BRKT for repair (which took how long to do?). After all that, you still have a knife that may or may not fail you again regardless how much work you put into it. You spent $200 on a knife that not worth $200. This isn't about the design, or BRKT, or anything else, its about this knife. Get a new BRKT Recluse or get a FBF Recluse, but for goodness sakes, get the knife you spent the money for....not the knife you've got.

I really like this thread. Stuff happens - for sure. The OP reported an honest report, Andy has offered to make it right. Nothing else you can expect given the circumstances.

With all of that said - EVERY BRKT knife and Andy Roy knife I have owned have performed beyond my expectations in the edge retention and heat treat department. I agree with Andy - you got a lemon.

TF

I'm late to the game. I have been swamped around here.

If the knife doesn't work, contact me directly knivesshipfree at gmail dot com.

We will take care of you.

:thumbup: Leave it to Derrick. I believe his reputation is spotless. He always comes through for his customers! :)

I always try to buy from KSF. Derrick is a great guy and have met him in person. His business practices are great.

I didn't want to keep bumping this thread without having any new information, but I have to post to say this: I love you guys.

I need to continue testing the knife a little bit more before I'm 100% certain it's a lemon and not just experiencing unfortunate grind issues, but if I have more issues with it I'll be sure to contact you. I have yet to try the new edge geometries I put on it (mostly due to spending my time in the woods testing other knives I've recently received... do you guys ever feel like you have too many blades to try!?)

It's coming camping with me on NYE and I should get enough use out of it to know for sure if it's a keeper or not.

NC,

Can I be frank? Stop testing it. I have chased a knife with bad heat treat or edge issues before. Once it does not fit my sharpening style or purpose, it needs to go. You have two people offering to make it right. Derrick has been great to me on my orders with him and Andy is awesome.

Send it back - get what you want - and THEN judge.

TF

Can I be frank? Stop testing it. I have chased a knife with bad heat treat or edge issues before. Once it does not fit my sharpening style or purpose, it needs to go.

Words of wisdom right there. Life is too short.

I think you should take the offer from KSF and let Bark River take the knife and do an investigation into the issues you are having. I feel confident that Mike Stewart at BRKT would like to know if there is a problem with the knife and fix any issues in the process of the making of his knives.

Just a thought.

Does FB have a rockwell hardness tester?

If he does or you know of a knifemaker who owns one maybe you could have your knife tested for the actual hardness.

Back when I was a kid I bought a knife and it looked like it had been in a fire and I took it to a local knifemaker Corbet Sigmon and he tested it for me.:thumbup:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back