Update / Review on my Recluse (Warning: Long)

Status
Not open for further replies.
NC,

Can I be frank? Stop testing it. I have chased a knife with bad heat treat or edge issues before. Once it does not fit my sharpening style or purpose, it needs to go. You have two people offering to make it right. Derrick has been great to me on my orders with him and Andy is awesome.

Send it back - get what you want - and THEN judge.

TF
Hm, you know, you might be right. I'm still pretty new to the world of knives, and have been doing my best to treat this as a learning experience, but if the knife simply is a lemon I guess it's time to give up.

To be honest I really didn't want to burden Andy with my problem because he only designed the knife, and had nothing to do with building it. I only posted here because of the name on the blade. However, I would feel a little bit more comfortable accepting help from the dealer who sold me the knife.

I just hate feeling as if I didn't do the best I could on my end to make things work, you know? I guess that's just how I was raised. If I can fix something myself, I will.

I think I'll contact KSF.

Again, thanks to everyone who posted here. I'm constantly amazed by the community on this forum. Normally once people get online and behind the mask of anonymity that provides, they turn into... well, you know. On Bladeforums, it's not the case. People are great. I love it.

----------

EDIT: Okay, the knife is definitely a dud. I just took it out back to give a quick carving and batoning test with my new edge, and it rolled right over on the first pass batoning a 2" stick. Thread is done, it can be closed now.

My conclusion: The steel is too soft. It doesn't matter how it's ground. If it's too thick, it wont hold an edge. If it's anything but excessively thick, it just bends over at the first sign of trouble.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back