Ursa's Custom Hand Made Musso Bowie Knife Review

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone, I wanted to post my review of Ursa's Musso Bowie made by Gulzar Ahmed in Pakistan.

Gulzar's Musso Bowie is the first affordable and high quality copy of Joe Musso's knife that I am aware of.

I first discovered his knives while keyword searching on Ebay and was stunned by what came up, and couldn't believe the pictures and especially the prices he was selling them at. His feedback was flawless and the feedback that was being left for these knives were complete satisfaction.

So I decided to do some Google searching and found him on Facebook as well as posts by cc nolan at the johnwayne-thealamo forums declaring that his Musso copy by him was very nice and well done. If you know who this person is, and know that his original copy of the Musso Bowie cost well over $1,000 and was made using the original Musso Bowie that was in the knife maker's shop, that's mighty high praise indeed.

So I contacted Gulzar and he sold me an antique version of his Musso Bowie knife.

The blade is 5160 high carbon steel with brass guard and strip along the spine of the blade. Unlike the original, this is attached via 4 evenly spaced out small brass pins that were pinged and sanded smooth.

The blade is full tang and is very strong. It is not some 90 degree corner stick tang, but rounded for strength. Like the original, the tang is threaded on the end and uses a brass nut, in this case, a flat head screw driver type.

And what you're obviously wanting to see, the finished knife, these pics ARE of my blade, but he's using the pics he took of my knife for his Ebay ad which I think is really cool to see, so I will use the Ebay ad pictures and of course my own after receiving it, first the Ebay ad pictures :

Finished_Musso1.jpg

No, the Blade is NOT differently tempered, but the pattern near the edge is also on the other side and I think it looks REALLY cool.

Finished_Musso2.jpg

Finished_Musso3.jpg

The Black micarta handle and brass nut.

And my own picture after receiving it :

Musso_Bowie.jpg

I chopped down a small tree that was about 5 inches in diameter with the knife, no edge rolling or chipping occurred and the blade is still very sharp where it impacted the tree. Not sure what kind of tree it was, but the blade bit deep into the wood.

No further tests were done outside of cutting paper before and after the chopping test. (It cut the paper just as well as before)

I have NO doubt that the blade is properly tempered, so I have no plans for further tests, this is a side arm for me, I have other choppers that will suit those tasks just fine.

The handle is very comfortable to me and didn't hurt my hands at all.

The blade balance is amazing, point of balance is about 2 1/4 inches in front of the brass guard. VERY well balanced and lively in the hand for such a large blade.

Blade length is just a hair over 13 3/4 inches from tip to leather washer and around 14 inches counting from the tip to the front of the guard.

Blade width counting the brass spine at it's widest point near the guard is 2 1/2 inches.

The clip point edge is NOT sharpened, if I had known, I would have asked him to sharpen it, but to me that's no big deal as I can always sharpen it myself. I might do that at some point, but I'm lazy so no telling when that will be, LOL.

Handle length is 5 1/2 inches and is very comfortable as previously mentioned.

The leather sheath is nice, but I would one day like to have a leather covered wooden scabbard with brass fittings made for it like the Legacy Arms Musso Bowie. My sheath came apparently treated with some kind of leather lotion applied which I thought was a nice touch.

In closing, I'll say that the craftsmanship is amazing, this is a very nicely finished piece that is as solid as it feels in the hand. For the money, you just can't go wrong if you're in the market for an affordable and well built Musso Bowie copy.

I would post a facebook link to his page, but I'm not sure if that's allowed here or not, if it's allowed, I will update this post.

I told him I was going to do this review, because frankly, he deserves more business and hopefully you will give him a chance as I did. You won't be sorry you did, I'm certainly not.

Last edited:
Great review, thanks! I recall seeing one like it at the Alamo museum in San Antonio.

You're welcome, his knives deserve more attention than they've been getting, and you cannot beat his copy of the Musso Bowie for what he's selling them for. I will post his Facebook page for others to contact him if it's allowed here.

Nice Musso Bowie broham! I love my large hand forged musso too (mine was made by Freerk Wieringa). I have not heard of Ursa Customs and will have to check them out for sure.

Nice Musso Bowie broham! I love my large hand forged musso too (mine was made by Freerk Wieringa). I have not heard of Ursa Customs and will have to check them out for sure.

If you're wanting an accurate Musso Bowie that pretty much matches up to the blue prints that Joe Musso published, then he's your guy, his prices are unbeatable, IMO.

He can of course do customs as well.

I've purchased this same knife from Gulzar this past month and agree with the OPs review. This reproduction is very well finished and is very impressive to examine and use. I tested it this last week and it cut threw 1" tree branches easily as well as paper before and after as mentioned. The edge looked fine after this use. From my experience, Gulzar is creating accurate, high quality custom knives for an affordable price.

Great review. I've seen the one like it at the Alamo in San Antonio. Just the thing to have on your belt for a little urban stroll:D.

I've purchased this same knife from Gulzar this past month and agree with the OPs review. This reproduction is very well finished and is very impressive to examine and use. I tested it this last week and it cut threw 1" tree branches easily as well as paper before and after as mentioned. The edge looked fine after this use. From my experience, Gulzar is creating accurate, high quality custom knives for an affordable price.

Thank you very much: Mark McKenzie, I am really happy to read your respected comments. I am sure I will make more high quality.
Your exact marks after your exams and encourage of my work, make my power so I can serve you always. Regards !

Hello Gulzar, I wanted to add that the Iron Mistress Bowie is a beautifully built and balanced knife! Very high quality and accurate in reproduction! Thank you for these beautiful knives!

Hello Gulzar, I wanted to add that the Iron Mistress Bowie is a beautifully built and balanced knife! Very high quality and accurate in reproduction! Thank you for these beautiful knives!
Hello Mark, Thanks for your more positive feedback on my The Iron Mistress Bowie knife also.
I am sure you will purchase my more Bowie's knives.
Regards

I would recommend this also Gulzar. Also, let me know if you ever create a Searles Bowie version. I would be interested.

I would recommend this also Gulzar. Also, let me know if you ever create a Searles Bowie version. I would be interested.

Hello Mark,
I will make Searles Bowie.
Thanks for Asking. Hopefully you will like my Reproduction of Searles Bowie Version.
Kindest Regards!
Gulzar Ahmed

Based on this review I purchased an antiqued version of the Musso Bowie from Gulzar Ahmed on eBay. I have been looking for a handmade accurate replica for years. I'm looking forward to having it in hand.

Based on this review I purchased an antiqued version of the Musso Bowie from Gulzar Ahmed on eBay. I have been looking for a handmade accurate replica for years. I'm looking forward to having it in hand.

Thank you very much sir for your purchased, I will wait your more comments soon. Hopefully you will like as my all clients. Regards

Musso.jpg

I'm blown away by this knife. The quality is exceptional. Very sharp edge and clip. Not sure what wood it is but it looks great and makes for a very authentic replica. The prices on these knives are more than reasonable. Mine was in my hands in less than a week after my purchase. If you like big Bowie knives, get one made by Ursa.

I should also note that the sheath is heavy leather and the workmanship is excellent.

This post was started by a new BF member wanting to share a knife and a new maker. The maker chimed in as well. The maker is obviously proud of his work (he should be) and passionate about serving his customers.

Many makers have started on BF this same way.

As Thomas has noted, to be fair to all the other makers on BF, and to protect potential customers, Ursa should now pay for a maker's membership. I'm sure the initial cost will be repaid many times in sales.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back