Uses of dagger blades? Share your dagger pics (fixed, OTFs, historical, etc.)

Since everyone is posting dagger pictures it is only fair I post my favorites yet again:

Joker CF00 and Gerber Mk 1 35th Anniversary.

pKBqBtu.jpg

C4wBlm5.jpg
Did someone say daggers?:D

Screenshot_20201018-181523_Photos~2.jpg

Very cool. How is the Gen 2 stuff?
Sting is the only piece I have, but it's a full on combat ready short sword that was very "Sting shaped"...the fit and finish is somewhat crude with zero embellishments from the factory.

At about 11 O'clock is that a copper dagger or copper coated?

Copper/nickel mokume with a malachite handle, one of the wife's "pretty pieces"...both malachite daggers along with the matching ebony/bone carved handle ones and the WICKED long dagger with brass knotwork. That one is Michael "Tinker" Pearce's interpretation of Sting, and actually the first custom she fell in love with and had to have.

Sting is the only piece I have, but it's a full on combat ready short sword that was very "Sting shaped"...the fit and finish is somewhat crude with zero embellishments from the factory.

Copper/nickel mokume with a malachite handle, one of the wife's "pretty pieces"...both malachite daggers along with the matching ebony/bone carved handle ones and the WICKED long dagger with brass knotwork. That one is Michael "Tinker" Pearce's interpretation of Sting, and actually the first custom she fell in love with and had to have.

Can you post a picture of it? I've been wondering if a copper-bronze mokume is possible...

I have one to use as a toothpick.

What?

Okay, seriously. Jideta already said what I would have said. You don't think about how you move your hand up and down a knife during use, until you have the extra sharpened bit that a dagger includes. Suddenly, you have to re-learn a lot of basic movements, and it feels awkward to use. So it goes back in storage.

If I wanted to carry one as a general-use knife, I would look at something like the Randall Gambler,

lUyUszs.jpg

Which seems to offer a compromise between tickling ribs and opening envelopes.
Great knife. I like mine very much and use it too. I thought I was the only one. Congrats.

I like the idea of one day having a dagger (probably an OTF auto) with a serrated edge on one side and a plain edge on the other. It's a nice alternative to a "combo-edge" or two different blades. With this setup, I'd have one edge that is resistant to dulling and that can be used efficiently cutting rope or something, and the other edge reserved for finer work.

Extreme tactical shankage, also bidirectional slashtification, woo! Easier tactical throwing because there's edge everywhere, wow! Shank slash throw murder death kill yeah!

Er, sorry, I got a little excited there. Just came from prac tac and was still vibing. I meant to say that outside of being cool looking I haven't found dagger blades especially useful. My main complaints are:
  1. With full stock thickness at the center of the blade height, dagger ground blades tend to be thick behind the edge due to the compressed triangle
  2. I like to thumb up on blades on hard cuts, and I like my thumbs

I have one to use as a toothpick.

What?

Okay, seriously. Jideta already said what I would have said. You don't think about how you move your hand up and down a knife during use, until you have the extra sharpened bit that a dagger includes. Suddenly, you have to re-learn a lot of basic movements, and it feels awkward to use. So it goes back in storage.

If I wanted to carry one as a general-use knife, I would look at something like the Randall Gambler,

lUyUszs.jpg

I have little use for a dagger. But it seems to me that one of these would be a perfect accommodation between a double edged piercing knife (aka dagger) and a normal functioning knife for cutting. I bought a Gerber boot knife (dagger) years ago on impulse and I believe it's in my tool box. Never gets used.

Last edited:
lUyUszs.jpg

Very nice knives. I would pack one as EDC without hesitation. Although : the stock
looks rather thick. I doubt they could be great cutters. And, at the risk of getting pedantic, I would object they are not exactly daggers but symetrical knives with a sharp edge and a long swedge. Just like the Sgian Dubh is a (single edged) knife despite the daggery look and feel. This one has a thin blade so it's a very efficient cutter :
vGMPjCC.jpg

I like the idea of one day having a dagger (probably an OTF auto) with a serrated edge on one side and a plain edge on the other. It's a nice alternative to a "combo-edge" or two different blades. With this setup, I'd have one edge that is resistant to dulling and that can be used efficiently cutting rope or something, and the other edge reserved for finer work.

In a fixed blade that would be the SOG Pentagon.

Love daggers! Regular and push

View attachment 1440009 View attachment 1440010

Although we can't have autos in Canada, I've often thought the same thing!

I've long carried and used the CRKT Sting as a very rough use knife; it's a solid piece of drop forged 1055, stupid soft, and extremely tough. It has been a scraper, prying tool, it has been used to dig as well as regular cutting chores. It takes an edge about as easily as it loses it. To be honest, the reason it got so much use and carry time is because of how easy it is to carry, especially horizontal on my belt. Having two edges is especially useful on such a soft piece of steel, and the profile has been perfectly serviceable as a tool. I can't say that I've felt the need to use my thumb for greater leverage while cutting as one might do with a single edged blade, but then again the Sting isn't a large knife.

These days it has been mostly replaced by an Ulu, which I find somewhat ironic.

I actually find dagger blade to be very good at slicing up card box or any push cutting task that requires the blade to go through thick materials. Especially the one with narrow blade, like Tilite(i know, it not really dagger).
It’s not just the thickness of the blade that causes resistance. The width too. The wider the blade, the more contact surface. Dagger blade is generally narrower so they pass thru material easier, just like how people use wire to cut cheese. The other thing is the cross section of the blade, think of both edges like the leading edge and the trailing edge of an airplane’s wing.

Back