How To Using hydrogen peroxide to change a knife color

60D602E5-67E5-4773-B6F1-544E271B0404.jpeg EDC6B431-5BB2-4F3D-ADF4-584B5F8F03B0.jpeg I went ahead and tried peroxide on a RR.
It was a very dark blue and one setting lightened up the bone a good bit.

The glued in shield did fall off though.
It gives the bolsters a nice patina also.

I may dunk it once more just to see how much more will come out.
Maybe I’ll try to dye it yellow and go for a RR rotten banana.

Hey im trying this on a 77 and I'm getting rust spots and they wipe off but I'm starting to notice so may be staying the knife aint knew either. Also im using 3 percent, so I was wondering if you had that happen what I need to do its been in there probably 4 hours and I just moved it upside you said something about temp and it's hotter out side.

Yeah keep an eye on that rust. But when you dye it, there is a risk then too. I have encountered rust spots once while using H2O2, but mostly its fine.

An interesting and informative thread!
Thanks for sharing.

Yeah keep an eye on that rust. But when you dye it, there is a risk then too. I have encountered rust spots once while using H2O2, but mostly its fine.
I left it in the 3 percent for 24 hours didn't take much out so I order some 6 percent gonna try that but I had alot of rust spots it is a user 77

I have previously posted about how to use a 6% hydrogen peroxide solution to change the color of bone. I thought I would show you guys another example.

So here is the previous example. I had a muddy-looking Cougar clawed bone 74 that I didn’t care for, and I used the hydrogen peroxide to take the color out. I dyed this one red using RIT dye, using the standard dye method of immersing it in a liquid solution.

QXUgMVy.jpg

At Christmas I bought a bunch of 92s intending to give them out as Christmas presents to family. But one was a funny color and I decided to fix it up before gifting them, when I got some spare time. Well now I do.

dojvL2i.jpg

You can see how the 92 on the right is a muddy brown. Now I should also say, it is almost impossible to take a good picture of a knife that you don’t like the color of, in a way that makes it look unattractive. The camera picks out all the nicer hues and amplifies them. So you have to take my word for it!

I should also add that I am loathe to change a knife’s color if it has character. I have plenty of less-than perfect knives that I wouldn’t want to change. It’s not always about aiming for perfection. This one just had a shade I couldn’t come to terms with.

NYVKCdg.jpg

So the bleaching process itself is very simple. You will find a lot of information about bleaching bone online if you search for it. Some people love it as a hobby. Luckily for us they have done all the research.

So you buy a bottle of hydrogen peroxide 3% or 6% solution and pour it into a plastic container. If your bottle is big enough you can just drop the knife straight in. Then you watch and wait.

HvVCs6Z.jpg

PMu0oek.jpg

The original dye will gradually bleach out - I left this overnight but your time will vary based on temperature.

In my experience the hydrogen peroxide causes no rust or pepper spots on the steel, but does cause the bolsters to tarnish (see pics) - which can be easily polished out. It is a little scary to leave the knife lying in what looks like water overnight!

I do not know for sure if the hydrogen peroxide weakens the bone. My research suggests it could, but only if you leave the knife soaking for too long, and in any event much less so than household bleach does.

I left this particular knife overnight. Here is the result and another knife to compare it against.

d7ciAmh.jpg

s8j8o2w.jpg

LDXrJma.jpg

I decided not to try and bleach out all of the color, as it is nice to have some variation.

After bleaching, the bone is left without the shiny gloss finish that you can see in the original photo. It’s also a little chalky to look at, and to feel. Compare it against a pocket carver and the difference is very noticeable.

S0Hs8FL.jpg

Based on my experience with the #74, I think that the dyeing process - perhaps the oil afterward - will restore the glossy finish. I don’t yet know for sure as the #74 had a jigged finish. If I was to leave this knife white I would experiment with polishing it and soaking it in mineral oil to bring up some gloss.

Now the next step is dye (or oil if I were to leave it white). I don’t yet know if I will go with a similar golden color or try for something else - like orange. I will post back when I have decided. Dyeing it using RIT dye in a bath is a lot more risky in terms of staining the blades and backsprings. I think a thoroughly dissolved dye is important to reducing spotting, but there is no guarantee.
I am trying this method at the moment, i have a question, did the dye come out of the bone when you left it overnight or did you have to rinse it off. I have had this knife sitting in 3% for 24 hours and not much has leeched out, i was wondering if i take it out and rinse it under water will it all be removed.

UlNVGpw.jpg

REX1UkA.jpg

Back