Using the Tibetan sword

To get back to the original concept about the Tibetan sword that resists "fencing" type use: Maybe now I can say it - Just "have" the sword and let whatever happens happen. Don't try to use it at all.

I don't oppose the practice of techniques. I only oppose the learning of techniques. I oppose the acquisition of techniques.

Seriously,I don't want to be disrespectful or argumentative but this is new-speak.It means nothing.
As far as technique goes.I've trained in several world class boxing gyms.5th street,Frazier's,Stillman's and have worked with Olympic fencers, wrestlers and Grand-Masters in IPSC.Tell any athlete in any sport the above statement and they'll think you're nuts.Skill is the mastery of techniques.The "Art" in Martial Art.

I also spent years in Clan Kai Sai Chinese Boxing.That school's instructor is/was recognized as the leader of Chinese Boxing for all of North America.They believe in the end, you're projecting or absorbing energy.This sounds like what you're preaching but,you must first perfect the techniques in the different styles and through years of practice you develop the skills of projecting unitary energy from any angle without telegraphing movements.
Different ways of punching,kicking.Footwork,head-movement,yielding,sticking,parrying,ripostes,trapping,rooting,unitary energy,sensitivity,69-theory,stop-hits,broken-rhythm,chin-na are all techniques that need to be learned. The basic mechanics of a given style.Ninjas may be different,I don't know.The Samurai did have specific techniques with sword,bow, pole arms, ju-jitsu,even serving tea that are well known and documented.

Watching a video demonstrating a technique does not mean in a fight you are thinking and/or looking to do that specific technique in a fight.It's correct to believe that people who only train what is called two step sparring will not be able to fight for real.However,two step to perfect technique with kata and shadow-fighting is part of learning.My instructor believed to much sparring taught you to hold back in a real fight.In a real fight you want to finish in seconds.As a bouncer with many years of experience fighting for real, sometimes many times in one night and ex pro kick-boxer I'll tell you mastering techniques gives you a huge edge.Look at what Mike Tyson did by learning and perfecting the techniques taught by Gus D'Amato.Look what happened when he abandoned them.Is Chun Lee,any Gracie, Frank Mirr or any fighter a master of technique? Most are.Against someone bigger,stronger,faster,more aggressive, being a master of techniques can allow you to defeat your genetic superior.Was Miyamoto Musashi a master of techniques? He was famous for the use of two swords and the x-block.Do mastery of technique make you a great fighter? No. If only it was so easy.
Technique is part of fighting.It's a big part but far from the only part.You still have nerve or courage,gameness and killer-instinct.Things like natural speed and power,size, even eye-sight are things you are born with and can only be honed so much.Technique can always be improved.

Great debate.

There's a little line I like from the Maha Prajna Paramita Hridaya Sutra. It goes:

Not a great debate for me as I have been asked not to participate by Danny because he started the topic.I've actually held my tongue quite a bit to be polite and not wanting to hurt Danny's feelings.I think that sucks.If you can't defend your position using facts,logic and reason you have no business talking about it on a forum.I really don't have the temper to debate where I'm not wanted or with rude people so I'll move on.Could have been a good debate.I have 40 years in training with many good instructors.Danny's not the only one trained and his instructor's reputation is not without criticism.

My previous post was written before I read I wasn't wanted here so I posted it anyway.I spent some time on it so screw it.

My previous post was written before I read I wasn't wanted here so I posted it anyway.I spent some time on it so screw it.

I don't know who the hell said that! Screw that idiot!

Uncle Bill always welcomed difference of opinion!!!!!!!!!!
Never once did he reject someone who spoke from their inner self !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Come back and post more!!!!!!!!!!

Back