Using your knife in public

Recently went to a busy public place in London, with a friend.

While standing in line, we noticed dozens of security staff checking everyone with hand-held metal detectors... I suddenly realised I had a SAK Soldier in my left hand pocket, as always...

So Brits aren't allowed to carry sharp objects anymore?

:thumbdn:

Andy

I sent one of those Queen jacks to Australia, Amos and okBookGuy. To oupa! Here's what he's sending back!

WOW! What a tranformation! Good on it! A very nice and deserving upgrade for a fine, humble knife. Hmmmm.

I have an old Mesquite tree that is needing to come down before it comes down on its own. I may have to set some aside to season with an eye on trying my hand at some rescaling.

Given the quailty those simple Queen jacks they are deserving of some embellishment.

Thanks for showing that, Charlie.

At 47 i too can remember all the boys carried case or a barlow in the pocket at school. It was part of scouting... and i quess we were smarter then than now?? How sad. I always have a small swiss blade 1 1/4 inch in my pocket. Its not going to chop trees for shelter however it opens lettters, has tweezers, toothpick, you know what i mean? Most people that have seen it say something like "Hey thats a neat little tool"... key word here is TOOL. We need to help people to realise that a knife is first and foremost a tool. Not a status, of symbol of strength, its simply a tool. Did i rant??? :D michaelp

In regards to Sunburst's thread on the good & evils of carrying an edged tool (knife) in your pocket. People do tend be shocked when you pull a good folding knife out to assist someone, when the obvious fix is to cut something. They all ask the same Q, "is that leagal ?" My issue is, no one seems to get upset when you can't have a conversation with someone you are out with because a dozen other people are talking with a Ntel 2ways outload and repeating them selves over&over (Just Plain Rude!). Or when you are on your front porch enjoying a great day and you can hear some doorknob with a 1000wats of bass coming down the road from a mile a way rattling windows. My knife in my pocket is just a tool. I am not threatening or forcing it on anyone. I will use when it is needed to cut or pry or even wedge an object. My point is that todays everyday citizen has an odd preception of what is right and wrong as well as what is usefull or what is frivoluos. I do not mean to whine, and I appoligize if that is how I come off, but I have read many many articals about the Katrina tragedies and all I can say is that all the rescue folks involved all said the same things. They would have been LOST without a Good Sharp Knife or MultiTool. Sunburst, I was raised by the same Old Folks as you were my friend, and I am proud of it. Be safe & prepared ~baba~

Beautiful BEAUTIFUL Queen jacks Amos and Waynorth.

Those are gorgeous knives. . .jaw droppers both.
What model Queen is that? Thanks so much
for those awesome pictures.

So Brits aren't allowed to carry sharp objects anymore?

:thumbdn:

Andy

Well, the law here says we cannot carry any knives with a blade longer than 3 inches in a public place - without good reason. (I think that automatics are illegal....I am not too sure about lock knives.)

That means if you are a chef on your way to work, you can carry all your knives with you in the street.
But you cannot carry a large knife or machete with you just in case you might need to cut something.

Of course, on your own property, there is no problem.

So, in my piece of woodland that I own, I can carry anything I like.
Axes, knives, whatever.

Be discreet, be responsible. Just take it out and use it and put it away. I do this all the time and sometimes people raise eyebrows until they see I have accomplished a task efficiently. If you put forth the image that you are just a man using a tool that is usually what people see.

Bingo.

Don't telegraph before or apologize afterwards. Just get it done and move on.

I carry both "tactical" blades and traditional slipjoints and even a hybrid (Spyderco UK Penknife).

Most times, I could care less if people's eyes get a little wider and their sphincters a little tighter. :D

As for that Spyderco UK Penknife...

Had it in my pocket the other day when a co-worker asked if I could fix her lamp. Turns out the wire had burned near the switch. The task required some cutting/stripping of wire.

Long story short... now she wants the new locking version of the UK Penknife--the Caly 3.

Go figure.

I have carried a Schrade Old Timer stockman's knife in my pocket every day of my life since I was 20. I've lost 'em, broken 'em, and even gave one away once.

If anyone asks, which is rare, I just tell them that a knife is a tool that should be on everyone's person. Not only is it good for cutting things that need to be cut, but it can occasionally save a life.

It is a darned shame that so many men have stopped carrying this essential tool with them.

I really don't care what people think here in Kalifornia. I always have an EDC on me when permitted.

And it's a good thing too... about 10 years ago my father and I were bass fishing on Folsom lake near Sacramento. A man decided he wanted to bring a large piece of driftwood to the shore with him so he tied his tricked-out speed boat to what was visible and began towing. He never acknowledged the fact a massive piece of the tree lay hidden in the murky water like an ice burg. He tugged and the tree tugged back slowly pulling his expensive toy into the water. The knife-less man waited hopelessly as he could not untie the tight rope.

We rushed to the scene, and I cut the rope before it was too late. he fired up the boat and saved it before the engine got soaked.

I once used my knife to help untangle my parachute in the Army. Couple parachute cords wrapped themselves around my 1950 weapons carrying case. Once I cut them it opened more despite having lost a couple cords.

I really don't care what people think here in Kalifornia.

Nor do I.
In my less than humble opinion many Americans have become wimpy drones that are afraid of thier own shadow.

I agree it is mostly in the way one present him/herself and of course the size/style of your blade. A MOP scaled slipjoint is not going to cause a reaction like say a CS Recon1 would.

Last week at one of the grocery stores I work on , they needed a cable hold for one of thier ATM's so I carved one out of plastic , the manager was impressed , did not freak on my knife and the end result was I got my job done using a tool older than most other tools.

What is sad is how the younger generation is missing out on true Americana and being forcefed wussy PC garbage in it's place. :barf:

I agree with what you say about the younger generation missing out on a whole lot of things which we may have taken as just natural.

1. being out in the woods all day without telling anyone were you went
2. carrying knives and using them
3. making fires, cooking stuff outdoors
4. getting lost, getting wet and cold
5. swimming naked in the river
6. going fishing were you have been told not to fish
7. getting home after dark and being ticked off by your mother

all of these things and more.... are all part of growing up as far as I am concerned. Me and my brothers all did these things, just like my Dad and his brothers, and my grandad...

It seems that nowadays, all of the above would be seen as definitely unsafe or risky in some way according to all the PC idiots we hear all the time.

Of course they are risky..........
life is full of risks, that's what makes it FUN

you and I know that, but our kids may never realise that, and I think it is very sad.

This weekend I will be teaching local Boy Scouts how to use and sharpen their knives. All SAKs, of course, the only thing they are allowed to use in this accursed country.

Casares, you're too right about that list. Over the past few years I've been doing some of those things, after not doing them since I lived in Oklahoma. My whole life here in Ohio was "Mike, go get on the basketball / football / soccer team, go watch your brothers wrestling tournaments, go with your mom to do errands and we'll buy you a new gameboy game" etc. Some of it was encouraged by me, some of it I strongly rebelled against. I stopped traditional sports in favor of skateboarding, made incredible progress despite everyone telling me I was so bad I should quit and became one of the better skaters in my city. Parents and siblings have watched me skate a total of about 5 times in 6 or 7 years. Oh well.

When I go out to the woods now and actually manage to drag a friend along, it's a huge deal to them. They talk to their friends about it at lunch the next day. They bring their cellphones and talk to people about "I'm in the middle of the woods LOL" and so on. It's such a novel thing to them because they never do it, they tell others and they think it's cute or special. None of them have knives, I generally carry 3 or 4 in these situations and hand them out when it's time to show them how to build a fire or shelter.

I went to my half-sisters baby shower recently. No one there had a pocket knife, including a bunch of 50 - 60 year old men who grew up in fairly rural West Virginia. I had a SAK Camper and an Opinel #10 with me. I cut open 2 or 3 toys for the kids their with the Camper, then loaned it to the father-to-be to open all the presents my half-sister was receiving. They remarked how sharp it was and were fairly surprised to hear I sharpen my own knives. They expect that if a person has a knife, it's going to be a dull one. The can opener also made short work of cans of pineapple juice for the punch bowl. If I didn't have my SAK, they would of been toting kitchen knives around the living room next to a bunch of kids playing (Not the safest thing out there). As for the punch, I knew I always could of batoned a knife into the can to open it. Would of gotten plenty of stares, but I think they'd appreciate having the punch. ;)

We live in a rural farm town where the local hardware store still offers free coffee and you're greeted by an old Retriever before you get in the door. Even still, my wife works for the high school where they conduct monthly Lockdown drills. All interior and exterior doors are locked, blocking kids wherever they happen to be when it occurs. Welcome to the modern version of "Duck...and Cover". I've accepted that I grew up in a blessed time that my kids will view as alien.

casares quote:

"This weekend I will be teaching local Boy Scouts how to use and sharpen their knives. All SAKs, of course, the only thing they are allowed to use in this accursed country."

Maybe not accursed, but surely boring!!!

When I do another session with them just before Christmas, it will be on my land.

So.......we will be using big knives, axes, machetes, to teach them how to cut with larger tools.

We will also be doing some fire-lighting, so this will not be boring.

their parents are coming as well and we will have a Christmas barbecue

The parents feel very strongly about the skills we are talking about. They want their kids to have fun and learn as well.
It is the damn scout leaders and teachers who are so PC all the time.

School teachers are not allowed on my land.

I guess that means I'd better clear out. Yet another reason that it is a truly thankless profession.

Back