Using your knife in public

I guess that means I'd better clear out. Yet another reason that it is a truly thankless profession.

Like the saying goes: If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read it in English, thank a soldier.

My wife is a Teacher's aide and going to school at night to become a teacher. Special ed and early childhood development. She might say that administrators and parents contribute greatly to the problem. But, she will also tell you that there are those who teach and those who have a job. She still gripes that she can't take a simple SAK classic or the Ricardo I gave her to school. She uses the scissors and the tweezers a lot. We got a little past that with a Swiss Army Card. The SAC has a "Letter Opener" that fits in the card, along with the tweezers, pen, scissors, and other handy items and comes in a neat little card format instead of a, shudder, "knife" profile.

The education field is like law enforcment. There are rank and file workers on the ground who support and participate in the responsible use of guns and knives. But, there are plenty in higher positions, and those aspiring to those positions, who are anti-everything that isn't controlled by them.

I remember an American History class in high school where the teacher brought in an original 1873 trapdoor Springfield and some type of Colt cap and ball revolver (can't recall what model anymore) and passed them around the class for us to look at.

Don't take it too personal. I don't care for housing developers, though I try not to carry that animosity over to the construction workers, who are eating up the land. I don't care much for doctors in general considering them narrow minded lackeys of the drug companies. I don't trust preachers too much either as for everyone that seems to care and truly try to help people, most are about control and money. And yet, there are a few in each profession I can respect and like. Just not that many.

I think this afternoon my wife probably hit on the real resason knives aren't allowed in schools. She works in Headstart and boy do they get the unmolded and often poorly molded clay! My wife is going to dress as a pirate tomorrow for their fall festival and of course she can't carry a sword or a pirate's pistol. As she sat down beside me with a big sigh, she said, "It's a shame they won't let me take a weapon tomorrow!" I think the rules are to keep the teachers from carving up or shooting some kids that really need it. :D

Amos

Here's hoping our next governor is a Jewish cowboy.

Sorry brother Bartleby. I offended you and I am very sorry. I beg your pardon. My wife and I are both ex-teachers. Our experience was no doubt different from that of your own. Feminism, uncritical acceptance of anything, too much pressure for not shutting up and going along, anti-christian bias, etc . . .

I just assumed anyone who was pro-knife wasn't involved with public education. Its good to know I was wrong about that.

Alrighty then, no sweat. I would never have gone into the profession if I was all that thin skinned. Besides, who else has a chance to swim upstream and take a stand on what is worthwhile everyday? Just wanted to make sure that nobody thinks that all of us are in agreement with the lawyers who set such policy.

Bartleby,

this is not personal, believe me.

A lot of my professional work is spent with educators, and I have great respect for them and their dedication and sheer hard work.

I used to teach in international schools back in the 70's, and have taught in Universities and colleges in the UK.

What I am concerned about is the 'system' not the people within it.

More and more, I see that the education system is about social control, and not about learning.

That is why I will not mix my outdoor activities with the education system.... it just does not mix in this country.

Alrighty then, no sweat. I would never have gone into the profession if I was all that thin skinned. Besides, who else has a chance to swim upstream and take a stand on what is worthwhile everyday? Just wanted to make sure that nobody thinks that all of us are in agreement with the lawyers who set such policy.

Thank you Bartleby, you're very gracious.

Casares,
I lived for a year up there, about ten years ago, so I understand your sentiments. Government control, regulation and plain old intrusion was (and I suppose still is) at times silly beyond description in the UK. Bless you for your endurance.

Ayup! After actually listening to him he makes sense. Heck, he even answers questions without a 20 minute preamble of campaign talk and doublespeak. Besides, I pretty much don't trust or like the whole rest of em even a tiny bit. Okay, nuff polytickin.

I want to hear this guy Friedman! Is there a website?

I use mine all the time. One of the reasons I like traditional folders is they don't have that tactical look. My Case mini-trapper, is at home opening fedex's at work, trimming drinking straws for the 3 year old at restraunts to cleaning birds in the field.

I do have some some larger locking knives, but they are not my EDC's. The Case, or a soon to arrive Boker imitation tortoise shell Barlow in carbon steel are always with me.

casares quote:

"This weekend I will be teaching local Boy Scouts how to use and sharpen their knives. All SAKs, of course, the only thing they are allowed to use in this accursed country."

Maybe not accursed, but surely boring!!!

Accursed? Boring? Man oh man, I've carried Case, Boker, Queen...... Traditional slipjoints, you know? Stockmans, barlows, sodbusters, what have you, and I have replaced them all with a SAK. These little things are great. Not only are they incredibly well made, but they have such utility. They can do EVERYTHING the traditional slippies can do, PLUS much more, and often for a great deal less money. As for them being boring? There are sooo many SAKS to choose from, I don't see how they can be boring. You can get one to suite your needs. whatever those needs may be. Not only that, but they are sheeple friendly as hell. I have whipped it out to do a variety of chores in publc, and people look at it and don't think twice. "Oh, it's one of those swiss army things". Those little red handles are universally recognized, and noone considers it a serious knife. I am a knife user, and as far as utility and function go, a SAK can outperform just about any other "pocketknife". SAKS rule.

Unrelated to knives but certainly germane to our discussion here......Not so long ago I was in Puerto Rico on a bus traveling west along the south shore.....I looked to my right through the window and saw a young child perhaps four or five in the drivers seat of an old beat up Olds, sitting on his pop's lap, small hands upon the steering wheel, big grins upon the faces of both father and son as the two drove as one down the sun filled highway. I doubt there was a seatbelt anywhere to be found in the car, yet alone a safety seat for the child. I thought nothing about all this at first.....then did a double take and smiled myself. I remember sitting on my dad's lap when I was very young as he drove and let me steer. It was a wonderful experience. Now, I'm NOT advocating those with young-ins break the law and sit their children on their lap as they motor down the highway.
But this I am certain of......had the event I witnessed in Puerto Rico taken place on a highway in America, that father would have been jailed, and the child would be in protective custody right now ! Something is very wrong here in this country, safety issues aside.

Incidentially......I understand NYC is voting this coming Tuesday upon an initiative aimed at regulating restaurants, mandating they fully disclose the trans-fatty acid content of their fare. In the early 1800's, I believe this practice was common among taverns in the small villages situated along the Erie Canal. ;)

-My best

Back