USN MK1 handle

MolokaiRider

Gold Member
The Ka-Bar MK1 USN is a classic design, and a crowd favorite among many.

I appreciate mine and have found it to be not only highly useful, but also great looking.

I’m wondering if leadership at Ka-Bar has ever considered adding a half inch or maybe even 3/4 of an inch to the handle length?

I see quite a few comments on the short handle over the years, and also find this to be true.

Does anyone know if this feedback has been considered?

The handle size (or lack there of) is the only thing stopping me from owning this knife. The blade size and shape is ideal. I’ve had that thing in and out of my Amazon shopping cart more times than I can count.

Yeah the handle is short but the Mk.1 is more usable handle wise with people with bigger hands. I have to use my Mk.1 bare handed with gloves it would be a bit to much. A few great blades get set back by their shorter handles I think.

Let me just say that I'm 6' 3" and 200lbs. My gloves run large to extra large. I do prefer the KratonG handled Mk1 over my leather handled Mk1 it feels more secure. The blade doesnt look like it but I have gutted deer, cleaned Rabbits and Squirrels with my Mk1 with no issues.

Yer just gonna go ahead and make me buy one, aren’t ya. Dang it Tanker! I don’t need you helping me spend money!

Yer just gonna go ahead and make me buy one, aren’t ya. Dang it Tanker! I don’t need you helping me spend money!
Don't do it Brother. I have a like new Leather handled one setting in a box. Just don't care for the handle. PM me your address and it's yours. I don't wanna hear no lame ass excuses.:D

Last edited:
The MK1 is a beautiful knife, and I agree the blade shape is dang near perfect. It balances right about at the palm swell.

I was just speculating mostly to see if Ka-Bar has ever considered adding a bit more length. When I hammer grip the knife the guard kinda digs in the inner soft part of my thumb.

Definitely not a deal breaker for such a sweet design.

2D88D33A-F65B-4AA7-B9CD-CD8B06797E2B.jpeg 7500624D-E1DD-449E-A9C8-99553A5AD577.jpeg

The MK1 is a beautiful knife, and I agree the blade shape is dang near perfect. It balances right about at the palm swell.

I was just speculating mostly to see if Ka-Bar has ever considered adding a bit more length. When I hammer grip the knife the guard kinda digs in the inner soft part of my thumb.

Definitely not a deal breaker for such a sweet design.

View attachment 1020699 View attachment 1020701
Ya got some Big Mitts Brother :D That's 1211 handle action lol

Ya got some Big Mitts Brother :D That's 1211 handle action lol

:D

I defer to your experience with the knife though! Your real world mileage is worth a heck of a lot more than my first impressions Brother!

My son was checking this knife out a while ago (he’s a lean high school junior) and his exact words were, “Hey Dad this knife is perfect. This is something I’d like to take hunting.”

Christmas shopping just got easier!

Last edited:
It's a nice 3-finger knife, and no, KaBar has no plans to put a hand-sized handle on it. :(
(but then, I have that problem with a lot of knives...)

46303991_10156773909029603_1131149297476173824_n.jpg

ps. sorry about the lack of focus - it's not easy taking pictures left handed.

Nice thing about the Mk.1 is the low top hilt, that can let one use larger hands can easier use it. I need the Krayton due to local conditions. I could of Moded my Shorty that way but I figured a younger relative would be happy with it and the hilt on the shorty would make it safer than them as well.

The WW2 spec for this knife calls for a birds head pomel. Which gives an extra length to the handle. Somehow KaBar decided to use the flat steel pomel like a mkii knife, but did not add more handle.

view

Last edited:
9sluQAN.jpg

This just happened. Tanker 1/66 Tanker 1/66 put this leathered handled 1095 Cro-Van piece of awesomeness in my mitt. Amazing generosity my friend. I love the knife, but the fact that it was a gift changes it from something I’ll use to something I’ll pass on to my son after I use it for a few years. It’s all about karma, and this knife is loaded with good karma.

FauazS4.jpg

And it’s not too little!

It’s a classic that will get used on lots of family adventures. Thank you brother!

Back