Variable speed viel 1x42 or dayton 2x42?

I've read that people have used this router speed control dial from HF with this grinder and not burn it up. What do yall think?

https://www.harborfreight.com/router-speed-control-43060.html

In my research I came across that, but I believe the consensus was that it would burn out the motor, I can't remember why at the moment.

I decided to just drop the money on the KBAC (more than the motor and dayton combined lol), because I figured I can move it to a 2x72 in the future.

I've read that people have used this router speed control dial from HF with this grinder and not burn it up. What do yall think?

https://www.harborfreight.com/router-speed-control-43060.html

This router speed control works with any universal AC/DC brush-type motor 15 amps or under.

that's from the HF page

It works on low power Universal motors with brushes like routers, electric drills, and so on.

That grinder is not a universal motor

It will slow down, and heat up and quit.
NFG

Gentleman! Years ago when I was struggling along with a 2 x 42" etc,, I asked the late Mr. Bob Loveless how to make the jump to a 2 x 72" big boy grinder?

He said, Sell each knife you make for enough to make Three more! One third goes into a coffee can for that 2 x 72" One Third goes to buy more materials and the last third goes to the wife or just to pay bills like housing & electric, food etc..

It took me me about 9 months to have a $1000.00 in my coffee can and that bought a Coote 2 x72" www.cootebeltgrinder.com along with a motor, Pulleys etc to have a Adjustable speed.. Its improved these days but 15 plus years ago you could only get the 2 x72" belts in Ceramic and other professinal belts.. 2 x42" was mostly just A/O belts...

Have fun & stay safe!

that's from the HF page

It works on low power Universal motors with brushes like routers, electric drills, and so on.

That grinder is not a universal motor

It will slow down, and heat up and quit.
NFG

Thanks for that info.

Gentleman! Years ago when I was struggling along with a 2 x 42" etc,, I asked the late Mr. Bob Loveless how to make the jump to a 2 x 72" big boy grinder?

He said, Sell each knife you make for enough to make Three more! One third goes into a coffee can for that 2 x 72" One Third goes to buy more materials and the last third goes to the wife or just to pay bills like housing & electric, food etc..

It took me me about 9 months to have a $1000.00 in my coffee can and that bought a Coote 2 x72" www.cootebeltgrinder.com along with a motor, Pulleys etc to have a Adjustable speed.. Its improved these days but 15 plus years ago you could only get the 2 x72" belts in Ceramic and other professinal belts.. 2 x42" was mostly just A/O belts...

Have fun & stay safe!

Thanks for the guidance!

Made another modification today. I ordered the $25 OBM tool rest, cut/drilled a small piece of angle iron, wham bam adjustable solid tool rest on a cheap ass 2x42 in 5 minutes:

NW3eQEe.jpg

ZqsE9ho.jpg

Back