Vic Soldier; Gentlemens knife?

What do ya all think? Would the Vic soldier make a good gentlemans knife? Ive always thought so.

-[digidude]

How do we define a 'gentlemans knife' ? Not sure I know.

The Soldier is a great knife whatever the definition (though I prefer the Wenger SI for the bail)

I guess, it would mean a classy looking knife, somewhat sheeple friendly(no monster serrations and blood grooves) Something you would wear for dress occations, I suppose.

Its hard to specificly define it. You just gotta FEEL it, LoL.

-[digidude]

Not in my book. Too big, for one thing. And most "gentlemen" don't go around opening cans and reaming new holes in belts.

I had one of the generous moments when I was lightening my knife load and offered a friend a choice between a few different spydies, the VIC soldier and VIC farmer. He chose the soldier over knives worth 5 times more because it looked more swish, bling, flash, classy, whatever you want to call it.

It's be great with a clip and thumbstud....

I've carried a Vic soldier in the coat pocket of my Harris tweed jacket to some classy places like the Kennedy Center For The Preforming Arts. Is that gentlemanly enough?:confused:

[digidude] said:
Would the Vic soldier make a good gentlemans knife? -[digidude]

Yes, IMHO. Especially of you get a Pioneer version with the engraving panel to give it a touch of class.

[digidude] said:
What do ya all think? Would the Vic soldier make a good gentlemans knife? Ive always thought so.

-[digidude]

Good choice. If you want an elegantly slim, smaller package you could look at the Vic Alox Bantam.

- Tim

The Vic Executive, MiniChamp, Rambler, and Classic should also be considered.

I've always thought of myself as somewhat the gentleman. I try to be classy, refined, and dignified. I try to dress slightly upscale to my surroundings and just a bit snazzier than my colleagues.

A gentleman is quietly prepared for any situation that may arise.

If a thread must be cut, a suitable blade should appear as if by magic in the gentleman's hand, do its thing, and disappear with equal speed. My hands are smallish. The Soldier feels bulky to me. I own one. I've tried it. I have many more opportunities to file an errant fingernail than to awl a hole, so for me the Cadet is a better choice. It's smaller than the Soldier, has a nail file instead of an awl, yet still offers the elegant Alox exterior.

cardimon said:
The Vic Executive, MiniChamp, Rambler, and Classic should also be considered.

I've always thought of myself as somewhat the gentleman. I try to be classy, refined, and dignified. I try to dress slightly upscale to my surroundings and just a bit snazzier than my colleagues.... so for me the Cadet is a better choice. It's smaller than the Soldier, has a nail file instead of an awl, yet still offers the elegant Alox exterior.

Well, if it's a classy look that you're looking for, you would want to consider the Director instead of or in addition to the (supremely useful!) Executive. The Director is an Executive with elegant engraved stainless steel scales instead of the usual cellidor scales.

The Executive has always been my favorite SAK, but now I carry a Director as my EDC knife and I have a handfull of used Executives for gifting and for mailing to myself at my hotel when I travel out of town.

- Tim

tcolling said:
Well, if it's a classy look that you're looking for, you would want to consider the Director instead of or in addition to the (supremely useful!) Executive. The Director is an Executive with elegant engraved stainless steel scales instead of the usual cellidor scales.

The Executive has always been my favorite SAK, but now I carry a Director as my EDC knife and I have a handfull of used Executives for gifting and for mailing to myself at my hotel when I travel out of town.

- Tim

Much obliged. I had no idea the Director existed. Looks like my Want List is going to see another Victorinox added to it! :)

cardimon said:
Much obliged. I had no idea the Director existed. Looks like my Want List is going to see another Victorinox added to it! :)

You're very welcome. I only found out about it myself after I became active on the SOSAK forum on KF. There is a LOT of traffic there about SAKs. Once I learned about the Director, I purchased one for myself and several more for gifting or trading.

- Tim

If you want a proper SAK gentlemans folder, my wife bought me a solid silver Tiffanys Classic!

In Alox, I would suggest a Bantam or Cadet (or Cadet II) as a good "Gentleman's Knife".:thumbup:

Back