Victorinox Farmer vs Huntsman

you guys do know that this thread is like 3 years old ? i might think the Op might just have made his/her mind up by now :D

They just need to make an Alox Huntsman. That would be the perfect knife.

I own both. Both are great knives. I probably reach for the Huntsman more, but the Farmer stays in my hunting bag. You never know when you might need to trim a tree limb from in front of your deer stand. :)

I'm one of those who rarely ever uses SAK scissors. I think their usefulness is over rated.

I'm one of those who rarely ever uses SAK scissors. I think their usefulness is over rated.

It's funny - I use my SAK scissors all the time. Mostly they trim facial hair and pop-up hairs on my head (I wear a very short haircut and it's easy to see the odd one here or there the barber missed). Other than that, trimming threads and so forth.

It's funny - I use my SAK scissors all the time. Mostly they trim facial hair and pop-up hairs on my head (I wear a very short haircut and it's easy to see the odd one here or there the barber missed). Other than that, trimming threads and so forth.

OTOH, I've used mine for just about every kind of cutting. When away from regular scissors, which is most of the time, my SAK scissors have cut different kinds of string, rope and twine, neatened articles torn from newspapers, destroyed outdated credit cards, and recently cut a circle from a piece of plastic to be used as a spacer in an electronic device, for which the SAK scissors had the right precision, and trimmed hedges for which they were tough enough. Oh, yeah, and that stray hair thing. :)
Some of these uses were in situations where there were no alternatives, others for convenience, and still others "just because." I am almost never without SAK scissors in one form or another. I guess it takes all kinds. ;)

The scissors are much more useful for me than the wood saw. The wood saw is handy and i do use it from time to time while the scissors get used 2 or 3 times a week.

Jim

I have them both and the Farmer sees way more pocket time, than again I have a Leatherman Micra for scissors and I don't usually have a need of a corkscrew.

The Alox Farmer is a tougher lighter knife in my opinion and way more durable, that's not to diss the Huntsman as its a great knife also. I just like the Farmer better.

4yo thread now but I think still a relevant question for anyone shopping for the perfect SAK. I have dozens of SAK's but if I could have only ONE, it would probably be a Huntsman given it has all of what I think are the most useful tools of a SAK. Alox is certainly more durable than cellidor but as I use a SAK only for light duty tasks it is already good enough to last me forever.

I actually put a Plus scale on my Huntsman so it also has a pen (and I added the mini-screwdriver and pin as well). :)

If you have a strong preference for a Farmer, then you might want to also carry a Classic or a Rambler to give you the smaller tools as well (small blade, scissors, file, tweezers, etc.)

Just another option...

I like my Fieldmaster. It's a Hunstman with a philipps in place of the corkscrew. I might have to pick up a Huntsman too, now that I think about it.

I have them both and find the Farmer gets used more. The Huntsman is just a bit too thick for me. However, My Climber gets used more than either!. Just the right size and day to day the scissors are more useful than the saw.

Not a terrible necro since there is a new player in the game. I've been carrying the Pioneer X off and on for a while, and its got its place. I often am pretty sure when I'm going to need a saw, so for me the X makes a better urban heavy carry, where the Compact might not pull hard enough. Huntsman is still a great all-rounder, but I love having the big heavy alox openers sometimes, and nothing beats the Alox Awl when you need one.

UPDATE: I carry now another Farmer but this time I kept the keyring. I realized I need it when canoeing to be able to tie the knife to the boat via paracord (I'd never tie a paracord to myself in a boat).

But now I realize I use the Vic less and less in the woods since I bought a Mora Classic - I basically only use woodsaw from time to time. So I started thinking about getting Huntsman again. LOL. I just can't decide whether to get the cellidor one with pinhole or the sturdier nylon one ...

I suck at permanent solutions ... :-D

--- OLD POST ---
I have both. I'd been carrying the Huntsman for years and I love that knife. At the end of the last year, suddenly and for no reason, I developed some kind of my-cellidor-will-crack-for-sure phobia and I switched to alox. I bought the Pioneer (I love it the most, but for EDC I want to have the same knife all the time so I use the Farmer) ... the Farmer which I EDC (great knife) ... and the Pioneer X (I must say I really disliked it - too thick, too heavy, nailnick on the other side of the scissors and I sold after about two weeks).

Also I really like the Huntsman but after carrying the Farmer or the Pioneer for some time I dislike the Huntsmans thickness.

It seems I can go without scissors. And the can opener can be used for opening wine cork maybe even faster than the corkscrew itself. :)

So for me, it's the Farmer over the Huntsman. I love the Pioneer feel even more and its flatness yet even more, but I just can't go without the dang woodsaw ... :D

PS: I had to remove the keyring nub and file down part of the woodsaw back side (lol) because it's been really hurting my hand.

Last edited:
Back