Victorinox Replica 1897

So far out of my price range it may as well be in another galaxy. 😟
They went with stainless steel blades and tools rather than the original's carbon steel. One way to prevent someone selling it for a significant profit as a rare genuine pre-WW1 knife, I guess. I think I'd rather have whatever the modern version is, and save $400 odd bucks.
I can live with the modern can opener.

Yup. Collector item right outta gate.
$500 could get one enough saks to last a life time, not just one old school Spartan without tweezers and toothpick.
That said, if I had the extra $$ I would get it.
And I agree: carbon steel would have been a plus for me.

The price is not that big of a deal compared to what people pay for folders that don't warrant the money and much simpler to produce. It's that it's not really a true replica and the backsprings are nothing like how originals were with how snappy the knives were. Looks good and that is about all. All show and very little truly like an original. I would rather have original period pieces and that is the reason why I'm not into GEC. They are nice but basically replicas and I prefer true period pieces when it comes to anything and not only knives.

Typically absurd pricetag for Victorinox collectible. I'd rather spend that kind of money for custom knife.
Shame they aren't brave enough to make these in carbon steel.

Beautiful knife.. Very unattractive price.

I'd rather collect more new production SAKs instead.

The price is an issue for many, which is completely fine. However, once all 9,999 of these sell out, they're going to be exactly like the Soldier knife that came out a few years back. Those sell* starting at $1,200+. I am not paying $1,200 (well, at least not at the moment, though I'll probably end up with one eventually) or more for one of those, so I decided to get one of the 1897s while it's "only" $500. Works for me.

I'm sure it'll be a well built collectible, just like all their others. I mean, it could be worse, heh, check out what the Man on the Moon Tinkers go for these days, and that's for a plastic scaled screen-printed basic model. "Well, I'D never pay that!"

Then it's not for you, no harm, no foul. :)

* As in, money changes hands, not just Ebay sales that never get bought. They get grabbed immediately whenever one is posted on the multiple SAK FB boards I follow.

The price is an issue for many, which is completely fine. However, once all 9,999 of these sell out, they're going to be exactly like the Soldier knife that came out a few years back. Those sell* starting at $1,200+. I am not paying $1,200 (well, at least not at the moment, though I'll probably end up with one eventually) or more for one of those, so I decided to get one of the 1897s while it's "only" $500. Works for me.

I'm sure it'll be a well built collectible, just like all their others. I mean, it could be worse, heh, check out what the Man on the Moon Tinkers go for these days, and that's for a plastic scaled screen-printed basic model. "Well, I'D never pay that!"

Then it's not for you, no harm, no foul. :)

* As in, money changes hands, not just Ebay sales that never get bought. They get grabbed immediately whenever one is posted on the multiple SAK FB boards I follow.
Enjoy your purchase. I can totally understand why you & others would buy it.

I would've asked my local shop to get it at $300, that would've made more financial sense to me.

I've read a couple of your posts about how some limited editions end up selling for double once they sell out, it's all very interesting.

Enjoy your purchase. I can totally understand why you & others would buy it.

I would've asked my local shop to get it at $300, that would've made more financial sense to me.

I've read a couple of your posts about how some limited editions end up selling for double once they sell out, it's all very interesting.

It's just a reminder that Victorinox has a fanbase as large and as willing to spend money as any other company making collectible things. People just tend to get sticker shock with Victorinox because so many of their knives are relatively very inexpensive, until they all get bought, and secondary market pricing takes over. I could provide examples all day, in fact, here's another one. A year or so ago, I paid $85 for NIB example of that limited edition "Gold" Climber they did for the 2016 Olympics in Rio. Check out what those go for now on the 'Bay. Straight clownshoes. The 2015 Christmas version of that knife, where the underscale is white instead of silver? Goes for even more...if you can find it.

There’s not a lot of guarantees in the knife world, but I’m not afraid to say if a person is into flipping knives, this is a guaranteed money maker. If I had the spare $$ I’d buy a dozen of them, wait a couple years, and turn 6 grand into 12 grand.

Typically absurd pricetag for Victorinox collectible. I'd rather spend that kind of money for custom knife.
Shame they aren't brave enough to make these in carbon steel.

Bravery has little to do with it. People have been buying millions of Swiss Army Knives every year from Victorinox, a company that's been around for like, 125 years, so it's a case of "Why fix what isn't broken?" It does give me a chuckle, because it's just the opposite in GEC-Land. "When are they going to be brave enough to start giving us more stainless steel blades?"

Just goes to show, you can make the best example of something, and there'll always be folks who want that...but different.

I have a way to hard time believeing these will sell above the 500 00 mark later.
And if someone pays past that well 😂😂😂😂😂
John 🌟

They're too expensive for me, but isn't that around what they sold for the last time Victorinox rereleased this design?

Back