Victorinox Replica 1897

This thread got me inspired to look for old soldier knives, and I just found a Swedish equivalent from some time between the years 1895-1900.
I will post pics of it when it arrives for comparison. It´s more in the style of the earlier SAK with nickel silver bolster in the front (the 125 aniversary soldier).
Sounds like a good find and I think a great way to get more familiar with fiber scaled knives. I don’t know much about the early soldiers and only have a few model 1908 Vics. Looking forward to your project, whatever it might be. 👍

Sounds like a good find and I think a great way to get more familiar with fiber scaled knives. I don’t know much about the early soldiers and only have a few model 1908 Vics. Looking forward to your project, whatever it might be. 👍
Just arrived
After some cleaning it actually looks really nice. Horn scales and brass liners and pins. The patina on the main blade could indicate it´s cabon steel, but the other tools are stainless. Pretty cool for a 1890-1900s knife
I am not sure if I will take it apart and do a full restoration or just leave it as is, it´s pretty cool with some true patina.

Just arrived
After some cleaning it actually looks really nice. Horn scales and brass liners and pins. The patina on the main blade could indicate it´s cabon steel, but the other tools are stainless. Pretty cool for a 1890-1900s knife
I am not sure if I will take it apart and do a full restoration or just leave it as is, it´s pretty cool with some true patina.
Looks great! I always enjoy horn scales and older construction. Though I know very little about other brands.

As for taking it apart, my guide is generally how valuable it is…before tearing into it. And always harder to take apart anything that looks clean and functional.

Looks great! I always enjoy horn scales and older construction. Though I know very little about other brands.

As for taking it apart, my guide is generally how valuable it is…before tearing into it. And always harder to take apart anything that looks clean and functional.
Yes. I think I will leave it. It´s functional but a bit wobbly on the corkscrew and owl, a light tap and it´s ready for 110 more years :)

May I ask you, will you be carrying your 1897 LE, or will it be a safe qeen?
I found one at retail price and made an order, but I have not yet got confirmation if it´s avalible... I am planning on carrying it if it goes well (and make use of the life time warranty if something breaks ;) )

May I ask you, will you be carrying your 1897 LE, or will it be a safe qeen?
I got two. I’ve been using the one I modified a bit. The second one is the shelf queen and hasn’t even had any tools opened. Just out for pics then back in the capsule.
I found one at retail price and made an order, but I have not yet got confirmation if it´s avalible... I am planning on carrying it if it goes well (and make use of the life time warranty if something breaks ;) )
Good luck, they still seems available in the states.

I got two. I’ve been using the one I modified a bit. The second one is the shelf queen and hasn’t even had any tools opened. Just out for pics then back in the capsule.

Good luck, they still seems available in the states.
got confirmation from the dealer in UK :) I guess I was quick enough, because it said "only one left and it´s in another customers shoping bag"
*I read that they have made separate markets for EU and US (wich should be in the serial number)

got confirmation from the dealer in UK :) I guess I was quick enough, because it said "only one left and it´s in another customers shoping bag"
Congrats! 👍👍

*I read that they have made separate markets for EU and US (wich should be in the serial number)
I’m sure Victorinox knows where they shipped certain number ranges, but unlike the replica soldiers which had 4 regions numbered 1-1891(?), these are all continuously serialized 1-9,999.

1897 replica and a c. 1943 234 fully restored with replica scales which has the original shield swapped over. Finished it this morning. Been using it this afternoon.

52348869501_d70b65eba0_w.jpg

Back