Victorinox SwissTool vs. Leatherman Wave

I was recently doing a research on multitools. Instead of posting a "What is the best multitool" kind of thread, I searched the forums and found plenty of information about multitools in archives. From people's discussions I figured there are 3 multitools on the market worth considering - Leatherman Wave (got the most positive feedback and has the best evaluation on equipped.com), SwissTool (got a pretty good evaluation but some complaints about pliers), and Gerber Legend (got the worst evaluation on equipped.com)...

Anyway after some thought I purchased the Wave. I gotta say that I am actually heavily using it every day and it comes in quite handy. Now I have a partner that really liked the little tool, and asked me where he could buy one. I told him that he needs to do his own research on the subject and gave him the Wave, SwissTool, and Legend to consider.

Anyway you guys are probably bored by now. The guy got the SwissTool and it feels awesome - much better than the Wave. It's much more solid, has strong pliers (I don't see any shortcomings), and has more tools.

The fact that it is a little bigger and heavier does not bother me. Leatherman has a much better pouch and one hand opening on blades - that's about it... It feels so weak after you handle the SwissTool that I feel sorry about choosing the Wave.

Should I get rid of the Wave and move on to the SwissTool?

Hey man, i use the Schrade Tough Tool, i also hav a leatherman wave and a leatherman micra... i think that the tough tool is FAR superior to the wave... that's just my opinion, but my advice is check out the tough tool, i think its a bit more money then the wave, tho...
st1n.gif
thers the pic of it...

been there done that. You can get Tough Tool for about $40 on the net (with shipping and all) while the Wave will run you $50 if you are very lucky.

Tough tool does not cut it. It's Tough and all, but I am not gonna carry that dinosaur on my belt.

I think that the SwissTool is the best of the large tools. I've carried the Gerber Legend, real short time, Leatherman Wave, Supertool and the SwissTool. Some people say that they have problems with the screwdrivers being too polished but I never had that problem. The real advantage to the Wave IMHO is the one hand opening blades. If you're going to use the multitool and not carry another knife, the Wave might be a good choice but for locking tools and all around sturdiness of the screwdrivers and such, I like the SwissTool.

Get the SwissTool but don't toss your Wave. The Wave probably is better as an all around wilderness type survival tool where screwdrivers and accessories of that type aren't as important. That may be why Equipped.Com liked it better.

I have both the Wave and the Swisstool (I am a fan of both Victorinox and Leatherman). I find myself a little more comfortable carrying/using the Wave than the Swisstool, though the Swisstool is probably of a better quality. This is no knock on the Wave, as IMO, Victorinox has awesome quality. I like the size of the Wave a bit better, but the Swisstool has things not on the Wave.

So I guess I *might* like the Wave a little better for EDC, though the Swisstool is probably stronger overall.
Jim

In my opinion if they did put a needlenose pliers (of course having a shaped teeth part for nuts and bolts), then I'd get the swiss tool. Access is better, and it seems to me it has more accessories, but at the expense of weight and bulk.
I'm not sure if I'd trade that off.
I however do have a Leatherman Juice (in repair for some minor proble) and it's solid without a serious lock.
Update: it seems some swisstools are made with needlenose pliers. I wonder if the SwissTool RS is a needle nose, if it is I'll take it any time over the Wave.

Take the Swiss Tool.

Keep the Wave if you realy need the needlenose pliers and if you don´t need locking screwdrivers.

Since I started collecting multi-tools, I've swayed back and forth on the question of "best",most useful,easiest carry,etc;etc.In my opinion, you've done your homework and narrowed down to three decent tools (all of which are only as good as the operator).As a "handy man" I tend to punish my tools and therefore am reluctant to make a mess of the Swiss Tool (I know, that's what it was made for).Both the Gerber and Wave have their good and bad points...I like them both.For my situation,the Schrade Tough Tool or Craftsman Pro Tool,which is nearly the same thing is my choice for the nasty jobs.;)

****, man.. my tough tool was well over 100$ canadian... probably closer to 120$ (cant remember) and i got my wave for 80$ CDN at costco!!

I own just about every multi-tool made and the wave and the swisstool are by far the most used. The swisstool is bulkier, but probably the best made and toughest of them all. It usually lives ina kitchen drawer for quick,little odd-jobs around the house. When out and about the wave is a usual companion, particularly fishing, since the diamond file is useful for hook sharpening. The scissors are occaisionally useful, and I think there is a new swisstool variant with scissors. Ebay usually has the best available prices for either one, although Lowes around here has a close-out special on the wave for $50.

There is no "perfect multi-tool" of course, every multi-tool is ultimately a compromise of all of its tools- knife on SwissTool is better than on Leathermans, scissors on latter is better than former, I like prefer Leatherman screwdrivers because they arenot so shiny and slick, etc, however Swisstool knife in relation to decent folder and Leatherman scissor compared to regular pair is ultimately mediocre. ANY multi-tool is designed for convenience, jack-of all-trades, master of none. If you use screwdrivers and knives regularly you are going to have better tools at hand anyway, the multitool is just "back up." In the end, I would suspect most tools on a multitool get occasional use, after all, if you use srewdrivers often I cannot imagine you would not have real screwdriver handy instead of multi-tool anyway.
Again, ANY multi-tool is ultimately a compromise-
Martin

Rival, I went through a similar analysis to what you are doing. Ultimately, I settled on the SwissTool for the build quality and F&F. I am not a fan of heavy gear generally or of heavy knives particularly, but I have been thrilled with it.

However, I'm sure I'd be just as happy with a Wave. It sounds like you've done your homework.

Leatherman tools break at least the last three I had. The spirit I owned the scewdriver blade twisted but I could straighten it again. It served well as a primary side multi tool. I like buying American, but until Leatherman returns to it roots and make better tools, I will choose Victorinox.

Wow! You don't see a SEVEN year old thread ressurected that often. I think he may have already made his choice fellas. :D

Wow! You don't see a SEVEN year old thread ressurected that often. I think he may have already made his choice fellas. :D

Well not everybody takes the big decision's as fast as you do, some slow down and really think it trough.
Hell, it could be another 5 or 8 years before he feels confident enough to spent that kind of money all in one place :D

For many people being able to access the main blade without opening the tool and one handed is a big advantage. However for most of us who almost always carry another knife (or 4) its advantage is somewhat mitigated. The Swiss tool is big, strong and has a good selection of tools. The wave is more compact and while there are some people who cant stand it it’s a good well made tool IMO. One thing that the wave has going for it is its availability. I can basically walk into any Target, Walmart et all…and buy one.

Wow didn’t see that…

Well its still a question that gets asked rather often.

Back