Victorinox Tinker and Spartan appreciation thread.

I usually carry a Spartan in my left cargo pocket along with an Executive in my RF pocket. Sometimes I switch out the Spartan for my Pioneer, but more often than not it's the Spartan. It feels a bit more comfortable in the pocket for me, even though the Pioneer is more durable.

For around 10 years, from the 1980s to the 90s, an older version of the Spartan (sans toothpick and tweezers) was my sole carry knife when I lived overseas in Taiwan. Even after I returned to the States, it was still the only knife I carried for several more years, and did pretty much anything knife-related I needed it for.

In the late '90s/ early 2K, I used a Tinker on and off, but found that I prefer the Spartan's corkscrew over the Tinker's back-mounted Phillips. I use the corkscrew for holding my eyeglass screwdriver, and also for loosening overly-tight knots. And I use the small screwdriver on the can opener for many Phillips screws. Even though the Spartan I'm carrying now is a more recent one, it still feels like an old friend. I still have that older one, and although it's a bit scarred up, it's still fully functional, but I've retired it for sentimental reasons.

Jim

Soo.. I got a Small tinker last week.. It is in my rfp as I type.. But this past weekend I was using my shop vac that I had previously a few yrs back replaced the plug on.. Vac quit and instead of going to my garage to get a screwdriver I reached into my pocket and got out my Tinker.. Had the plug connections tightened and the vac going post haste!! Then a little later I noticed that my towel rack in the bath was a little wonky and the Tinker got that fixed!! So I am liking it ALOT!!! John

Soo.. I got a Small tinker last week.. It is in my rfp as I type.. But this past weekend I was using my shop vac that I had previously a few yrs back replaced the plug on.. Vac quit and instead of going to my garage to get a screwdriver I reached into my pocket and got out my Tinker.. Had the plug connections tightened and the vac going post haste!! Then a little later I noticed that my towel rack in the bath was a little wonky and the Tinker got that fixed!! So I am liking it ALOT!!! John

I want to get a small tinker as well.

I've been carrying a Spartan for a couple of years now and it's a super functional EDC for me and my lifestyle.
Of course the large blade sees the most use, but I use all of the tools here and there and there. Love it.

It seems like I've had a Spartan, Camper, or Waiter in my pocket since the 1960s. Now I want this model.

XgpHwKC.jpg

BD8CB4D1-D93E-48FC-B74E-76BB9B645EF2.jpeg 35CE5E57-3D9A-4560-BBFB-84FFE6D0D125.jpeg 96225F3E-72E0-423B-8473-6EB21333EE02.jpeg 226614E7-2D6A-481E-93F8-3B7BBE9BBA21.jpeg I had a skeletonized Tinker and plain Waiter with saw. I liked the Waiter more than the Tinker, so I swapped the scales.

I like the Spartan but prefer the Tourist as it sits in the pocket better. I also have a Climber close by as I find the scissors very useful.

I carry a white Spartan quite frequently. It is a great EDC. I must admit I have never used the corkscrew yet, but I do occasionally drink wine so it may save me one day.

Super Tinker user here.

Kicked out all my modern folders as the sole EDC since it was acquired.

Do I like it? Not really. SAKs look ugly compared to any modern folder.

Is it useful? Defi-frikkin'-nitely. Screwdriver and scissors see the most use, followed by the blades.

073F90FD-FF5C-4FE0-9C8E-939D68A13C57.jpeg No experience with the Spartan yet, but recently won a Tinker in a GAW (from @JTB_5 )and love it. Perfect size. Love especially the large spear blade and the cap lifter. And you never know when you're going to need a screwdriver or tweezers.

Who here really likes and carries either?
I like em both, but don't carry them unless I also am carrying a Classic. Can't go without scissors. The extra layer of the Super Tinker or Climber is totally worth it.

I think I have been carrying a Tinker longer than any other knife - since the late 70s I think. It has gotten me out of a lot of tough spots and I literally pat my pocket every time I leave the house just to make sure it's there. Doing construction work you are constantly getting splinters in your hands. I LOVE those tweezers. Around 1995 I got hooked on the large lock blade Vics and so I also carry a Centurion most of the time. I will never understand how any man can go through a day without a SAK. I guess I grew up in a different culture. Now I notice most guys don't wear a belt or a watch or carry a knife or a sidearm. This saddens me.

I have a couple Tinkers. The Tinker was the very first SAK that I carried around 1982 or so. Carried it for years after that. Then switched to the larger one. I was carrying a 111mm Adventurer with the side lock for something like 10+ years. (We're old friends.) A couple weeks ago, I dug out the small Tinker (it was new) and it has been in my pocket since. I'm pretty impressed with it. Trying to make up my mind if I am comfortable with just this knife in my pocket. I think I am. The tools are regular sized on it. A test will come this week on an out of town job; think I'll toss in my regular 111mm SAK in my bag just in case.

I have one Spartan, but I have never carried it. It was a freebie at the knife store where the Vic rep left you build your own Spartan if you bought another Vic that day.

newphone.jpg

My Spartan, I just bought another in Nylon including the screwdriver bit for the corkscrew for $6! One is being modded down to just the blades/corkscrew layer for a slim pocket knife solution. It really is an excellent solution for pocket carry.

Last edited:
Back