Vintage "Old Hickory" knives from Ontario Knife Co?

That's the stuff. The curved "skinner" of the Old Hickory line has so many applications that it is incredible. The longer that these knives are in the kitchen, the more work they seem to find.

Hard-working "every day" knives that go unrecognized day after day, month after month, year after year. They eventually wear out, but not until they have paid for themselves many times over.

Vintage Old Hickory knives have gradually replaced every knife in my knife block except for a pair Japanese knives. 1095 is a perfect steel for kitchen blades. It takes a wicked edge and can be brought back in a minute on a stone. Most of my Old Hickory knives are from the '60s but in perfect condition. Grandma took REAL good care of them. The current ones work OK but are made from thinner stock. You can usually find vintage ones at flea markets everywhere.

Hi all,

I swear, I just continue to go around in circles (regarding my interest in Knives). I tend to enjoy everything from EDC small Fixed Blade to Folders to Woods/Hunting Knives such as my most rest purchase, the Canadian #1 Belt Knife to Scandi Knives and then, circling right back to good ol' "Old Hickory" (or vintage "I Wilson/Sheffield") Carbon knives. I guess it's true, sometimes, "NEW" isn't necessarily better.

HARDBALL

Last edited:
Back