Wallet breaking cards

I just purchased one and really can't see how it will break the cards. The pig skin liner is not that thick.

Hey Fellas,

Originally, Dave designed the medium bi-fold with pigskin down the middle of the wallet. This caused the wallet to be much stiffer and would break credit cards down their magnetic strips. We took the pigskin lining out and this fixed the problem. However we've had some "duds" sneak through the production line and we are sorry about that. We are all about quality, so if you ever have a problem with any products, please send your requests to ihaveaquestion@saddlebackleather.com or give them a call at 210-858-5210 and we will take good care of you. Cheers and thanks for all the compliments.

I've had a medium bi-fold for about 18-20 months or so and it's only destroyed my old ATM card down the magnetic strip. I think this is due to how often I pull the card out (which is a lot) compared to other cards. That being said, I'll be ordering another bank card soon as it is anyways, I prefer the newer cards. Not much of a hassle for me.

My older bifold broke most of my cards, but i gave it to my brother after saddleback sent me a new one because he doesn't use cards. This new style hasn't broken any cards yet.

This is so weird.
I read this thread, and realized that the same thing was happening
with my Med also.
I emailed them, and they're sending a new one out.
Don't even have to return the old one.
All they wanted was a picture.
Wow.
Lenny

Customer service is outstanding. If you have an older wallet breaking cards they will replace it with the newer style that is thinner. Not only is their customer service great, I like their continuous improvement approach to manufacturing their products.

I had the same problem about between a year and eighteen months ago. I posted something about it on their FaceBook page and someone contacted me within a few minutes and I had a replacement in hand by the end of the week. Since then, I have not had any issue with the wallet breaking cards.

Now that I've said that publicly, I am sure it will start. lol

Also broke 4 cards. Emailed SB and they got right back to me. Asked for picture of wallet and card. Sent it to them. Got reply from Betsy this AM. They are sending a new wallet tomorrow. This is one mighty fine company.

I now have to buy a new debit card... its demolished. Even with the new design. I don't know what to do. I have no other wallets and paid a good amount of money for this one, but it keeps breaking all my cards.

No problems since the switch to the new wallet.

I though you said in your pervious that its breaking cards even with the new design.

Edit - I don't want that to sound condescending, I'm just curious since I'm considering getting one.

Last edited:
I've been through three. The original, and two newer designs. I think they thinned the leather out on the latest one I have. But the cards are all fine.

Yeah, I have the small bifold and it's done a number on a bunch of cards. I got to the point where I didn't carry any cards in the "card slots" - just one or two cards "behind" the slots. My lesson? Figured out that I needed to carry less stuff in my wallet. Have the passport wallet as well and recently transitioned into using that one as an everyday wallet. It holds 3-4 cards, transit pass, id, etc. and works great.

I've got a handful of Saddleback products and must say (even with the wallet thing), I'm very pleased with the products. Thinking about a medium water bag. :)

After over a year of carrying it my card is starting to break. I think it happened when I put it in my back pocket and sat on it.

Got an ID about a month ago..so far PERFECT for front pocket carry. Are you guys experiencing card breakage because
of hip pocket carry? Don't think the ID was designed for that...

20131226_000801_zps05861c89.jpg

This wallet broke my debit card in 1 day.

Bit tight I must say.

20131226_000801_zps05861c89.jpg

This wallet broke my debit card in 1 day.

Bit tight I must say.

Can you show us the insides? There is a softer lining now that helps not break cards... Write to SBL though and they will take care of you.

When you say it's breaking the cards, I assume you mean that the part of the card that protrudes above the stitching of each layer (basically, along the swipe strip). I don't own this particular wallet, but I really don't think its this particular wallet's fault; I've experienced this problem with numerous wallets of similar design.

Three ways to resolve the issue:
1. Carry it in your front pocket; or
2. Put more than one or two cards in each slot; or
3. Purchase a wallet without individual card slots (my current wallet):

11719752865_bdee19f781_c.jpg

Saddleback sent me a UPS shipping label to return my medium bifold that was breaking cards, less than a week later I had a brand new one with the curved card slot pockets in hand. Painless, and this one looks like it will be far nicer to my cards. I will definitely buy more of their products in the future.

I have a medium bi-fold that is the newer design(bought 6/15/12) and it has broken 3 cards. Not sure that another one would be any different?

Back