Warning: Bestech Warranty Change & Clones

Press Release from Bestech: Changed Warranty Policy
Important Announcement
Yangjiang, Guangdong, China, September 17th 2018 — Recently we became aware of the fact some resellers (especially on Ebay & Amazon) are offering Bestech products for prices that are not possible. We have all reasons to assume these products are not authentic Bestech products. We are fully commited to expose these practices in cooperation with our partners

To protect our valued resellers, our company and our customers, we have changed our warranty policy with immediate effect. When a customer has an issue or problem with one of our products which is warranted, the customer needs to include a proof of purchase (like an invoice) of one of our authorized resellers.

With immediate effect we started the proces of authorization of our resellers. All authorized resellers are listed on our website under the section Dealers. Not only direct buying resellers but also resellers who buy at our distributors can be authorized. All resellers are informed.

Customer who wants to buy Bestech products, please better be informed about the status of the reseller who you intend to make the purchase.

OEM customers approached by Bestech
Important Warning

Also a serious warning for our OEM customers/companies. Some of these are approached by email and/or phone by people who pretend they are representing Bestech Knives to get production orders. Please make sure you are dealing with our company and not an obscure clone manufacturer.

Kind Regards,
Bestech Knives Team

I find this practice abhorrent. If a customer sends in a knife for warranty work, companies should go...”Is this our product?” If the answer is “yes” then fix the knife. If “no”, then don’t.

The expectation that customers will retain proof of purchase for all eternity seems like a convenient excuse for getting out of warranty work.

Agreed, especially since it means people have to doublecheck if their specific dealer is authorized by Bestech.

I find this practice abhorrent. If a customer sends in a knife for warranty work, companies should go...”Is this our product?” If the answer is “yes” then fix the knife. If “no”, then don’t.

The expectation that customers will retain proof of purchase for all eternity seems like a convenient excuse for getting out of warranty work.
This is the way Bestech will solve it. This is especially intended to warn future customers to ensure themself that they purchase their products at reliable resellers so they are not buying clones or fakes.

They ensured they will treat warranty requests with leniency.

Last edited:
In an effort to "please better be informed about the status of the reseller who you intend to make the purchase", can I ask who actually makes Bestech knives?

This is the way Bestech will solve it. This is especially intended to warn future customers to ensure themself that they purchase their products at reliable resellers so they are not buying clones or fakes.
This sounds like you're saying that you wouldn't be able to tell if a knife sent in to Bestech warranty was a fake or not. Please tell me that's not right.

In an effort to "please better be informed about the status of the reseller who you intend to make the purchase", can I ask who actually makes Bestech knives?
Bestech Knives is manufacturer of knives. Mainly for oem but since last year also their own brand.

to warn people that clones are offered.
Right, but... it was asked above why Bestech wouldn't just honor warranty on any real Bestech product that gets sent in.

"If a customer sends in a knife for warranty work, companies should go...”Is this our product?” If the answer is “yes” then fix the knife. If “no”, then don’t."

Your response was that this issue would be solved by requiring proof of purchase. Like the question above, I am asking why you wouldn't just accept any knife that's made by Bestech for warranty support. Proof of purchase should have nothing to do with whether or not a product is real, which your warranty department should know for certain immediately upon receiving the knife.

Right, but... it was asked above why Bestech wouldn't just honor warranty on any real Bestech product that gets sent in.

"If a customer sends in a knife for warranty work, companies should go...”Is this our product?” If the answer is “yes” then fix the knife. If “no”, then don’t."

Your response was that this issue would be solved by requiring proof of purchase. Like the question above, I am asking why you wouldn't just accept any knife that's made by Bestech for warranty support. Proof of purchase should have nothing to do with whether or not a product is real, which your warranty department should know for certain immediately upon receiving the knife.

This will no doubt fire up the clone/copy group and they will carefully explain all over again with great authority all the damage that clones/copies do, not just to the buyers and manufacturers, but to society on the whole. Certainly no one, including Bestech wants to service a clone of their own product. Seems a bit harsh for a company that for all we know was/is/has made clones themselves.

There is a very, very, easy solution to this problem which actually requires no effort at all. Don't buy Bestech knives, Bestech marked merchandise, or any products at all from them. Problem solved. There are plenty of other Chinese knife makers out there for those that like the Chinese products.

I hope no previous owner gets burned by this new policy, because I for one am terrible at keeping up with receipts and registering products. At least Bestech laid out the ground rules up front to warn you away from their product.

Robert

I just bought a BTK Swordfish and I did not see any warranty info. There were no inserts in the box. I dunno....for $52 I wasn't expecting much but it's a damn good value knife.

There goes the resale value for every Bestech. I have one that's an OK knife but there are a lot of other options that won't require a proof of purchase.

How is this pertinent? So what if Bestech uses a contractor to make their knives? As long as Bestech signs off on the quality it doesn’t matter.

As far as requiring proof of purchase from an authorized retailer, I guess I don’t see this as a big deal in order to get service. Most buy knives online so there is a digital record to print. Mine came from Massdrop and I can go to my account and find the purchase. Unfortunately this is a fact of life in 2018. Especially for warranty service. And in this day of visually perfect clones, the manufacturer has to take the time to document the return and at least start to disassemble the knife before they can discover it’s a clone. Dealing with returns and repairs is expensive.

I just bought a BTK Swordfish and I did not see any warranty info. There were no inserts in the box. I dunno....for $52 I wasn't expecting much but it's a damn good value knife.

Agreed. For the price of these amazing knives, this isn't a big hassle for me. They are great pieces. I'm going to buy the Toucan next .

How is this pertinent? So what if Bestech uses a contractor to make their knives? As long as Bestech signs off on the quality it doesn’t matter.

As far as requiring proof of purchase from an authorized retailer, I guess I don’t see this as a big deal in order to get service. Most buy knives online so there is a digital record to print. Mine came from Massdrop and I can go to my account and find the purchase. Unfortunately this is a fact of life in 2018. Especially for warranty service. And in this day of visually perfect clones, the manufacturer has to take the time to document the return and at least start to disassemble the knife before they can discover it’s a clone. Dealing with returns and repairs is expensive.

It's pertinent because I, like many others here, are bewildered with the constant influx of new Chinese manufacturers and would like clarification on who they really are. I love WE Knives and would be thrilled to hear Bestech is from the same factory, and that would be a major plus in my book. It just strikes me as bizarre that we'd be asked to inform ourselves on the companies we buy products from, when so much of their information is hidden from the public eye.

Allow me to be blunt here: this sounds to me like possibly whoever is the OEM for the Bestech brand is also selling identical knives on the side for a lower price. It'd be easy to squash that theory if I knew who actually made them and who they were affiliated with.

As for requiring proof of purchase, I can't think of any reputable companies that require it. Even Microtech just serviced my second-hand Socom Delta with zero proof that I bought it from a valid retailer, and I think we're all aware of their history with warranty services. This isn't a consumer facing policy; this is asking the consumer to take up the role of counterfeit watchdog as well.

Last edited:
Back