WARNING: To NYC Residents & Tourists

hmm sorry dumb question but guns are still legal in new york right? why is it that guns are legal and not knives? im sure guns are much more damaging..

First, let's not confuse New York CITY and New York STATE.

Second, let's not overinterpret from a current policy of demonizing knives and overenforcing the rules in NYC to considerring them illegal.

In NYC, of course, guns are legal, but accessible only with some difficulty. Knives you can buy just about anywhere.

Neither knives nor guns are damaging in themselves, only in the hands of people who use them to cause damage.

deadknightz, in NYC you need a pistol permit for a handgun ( target permit is not to hard to get but a carry permit is very hard) and you need a rifle/shotgun permit for long arms ( easy to obtain). The rest of NYS a permit is required only for handguns.

Why can't they just let people buy and carry what they want, and hold them repsonsible for proper use, just like we do with screwdrivers and bricks?

Tom and David W.,

I am aware of a case, set for trial early next month (i.e. VERY SOON), where the defendant may be prepared to go to the wall on the gravity knife statute.

This may be a rare opportunity to educate a judge.

I can't say more on a public forum.

Let me know if either of you are interested in discussing further.

Seth

I am aware of a case, set for trial early next month (i.e. VERY SOON), where the defendant may be prepared to go to the wall on the gravity knife statute.

This may be a rare opportunity to educate a judge.

It might be interesting, but since the "gravity knife" question is political, not legal, this is like some old psychiatrist joke: the judge has to want to be educated. He may not.

sliplock, I would be interested in hearing more and possiblly attend as I work in Metrotech and my company owns the 330 Jay Court house so I could easily attend......can you email me?

I tried, but I was having trouble getting a message through to you. Are you set up to allow private emails through this forum?

tom19176 and sliplock, neither of you can use our PM system, since you are only Registered Users. You would need at least the Basic Membership. See the page heading for more information at

Want to Sell Knives? Private Message? Post Polls? Upload Pictures?
Upgrade your forums experience, and help support this site.​

Wait Tom, you work at Metrotech? I go to school at Polytechnic University

BTW: my case was dismissed on the spot, though I looked totally outta place (only guy in suit and tie, what happened to respect?)

BTW: my case was dismissed on the spot, though I looked totally outta place (only guy in suit and tie, what happened to respect?)

I'm glad you got out from under the charges.

Don't feel bad about the suit.
It's always a good idea to be prepared to overawe the peasants. :D

being a new yorker, i agree, the police in this city are terrible. all they do now is give parking tickets, however maybe they got the stores in ur neighborhood. in mine, the knife store i go to is still open for business, so is the sports store that stells a lot of guns and knives

GarageBoy, Great on the results ! Why was it dismissed? Did the work defense do it? Yes I work at Metrotech, after I got out of law enforcement I start with Forest City and we built all of the Metrotech Complex, and a ton of other things....

So you know who George Bugliarello is etc?

Dismissed due to the letter. I didn't even have to say anything. It was like the DMV

ADA: John Doe, Docket #12345, Drinking in Public
Defendant: ::mumbles to the public defender
Judge: $50 fine
ADA: please step into the hall way for your ticket
ADA: next, GarageBoy, Docket #67890, Carrying Knife in Plain View
Judge: ::looks up, sees confused looking Asian kid in a suit
Public Defender: ::looks at GB and asks, "what kinda knife, folding?"
GB: "yes", explain to him why it was in plain view, gave PD letter
PD: defendant has a letter saying he has works in a surplus store?
Judge: dismissed
GB: "thank you your honor" ::whispers to PD "this means I'm done right?"
PD: "yes, just be careful kid"
Public Defender: what kinda knife was it

What store in flushing? I think he also got in trouble for selling to minors (he gave great discounts to minors though ;-) Busybee?

sliplock when is the case you mentioned? The one issue I would see with it is any judge who might agree with the mis use of the gravity knife interpertation would be going against the fact that this defintion has been allowed to be mis used for so many years. Any judge who views it differently now will opening many old cases to appeal. Also if this is a lower court case. then it will have less standing as case law then a Appeals Court decision...let me know what you can here....

Back