Waved Paramilitary 2: The knife I didn't realize I've been waiting for

So this knife showed up on social media somewhere and I was immediately brought back to the days when I would carry a waved Endura or Delica. As ugly as they were, I loved those knives as bottle openers, and it's generally pretty nice when a wave opener is an option. The Waved Endura and Delica were my dedicated knives for things like working out, or going to BBQs and house parties where I'd be opening a bunch of beers and maybe some boxes to help set up.

The problem I kept running into was that lint kept getting into the lock area and preventing the knives from locking open. Then there were the times when I waved them open too hard and the back locks didn't engage in time and I'd end up with a partially opened knife yet again. It happened over and over until I ended up getting rid of them. I remember thinking that I wished they just had a better lock system, like the compression lock.

So I find out about this exclusive run and even though I hadn't planned on buying a new knife anytime soon, I had to pull the trigger on this one. Now I do understand if this just doesn't do it for you. It's not the prettiest knife in the drawer. But is there anyone else out there who this design was basically meant for like me? Who's getting one?

SPYC81GPW2Master1200x1200__64406.1587138483.jpg

SPYC81GPW2MasterBack__23765.1587138489.jpg

Wow, that is very cool. I might have to pick one up before I snag a blackout Yojimbo 2.

I'm intrigued by the sabre grind and the ability to carry tip down, neutralizing the wave feature. I know I'm one of the few that prefers tip down in my right back pocket because I clip my truck key in my right front pocket, flashlight in my left front pocket and spare magazine in my left rear pocket.

YG9ihBx.jpg

Interesting and unexpected. The issues for me are 1. I don't really need another PM2 (even if it can be used as a bottle opener) and 2. s30V steel. I will probably pass on it, especially since there are lots of ways to improvise a cap lifter on the rare occasion that I need one. I certainly don't need the Wave for self-defense anything. Still, it's a cool knife.

I wish we could get a waved PM2 with something other than saber grind. I think Sal had said it wasn't possible to do a FFG on a Delica or Endura, but you have more blade height on a PM2. I may grab it anyway, as while S30V is no longer the new hotness, it and the compression lock are still upgrades over the other Spyderco waved knives.

I ordered one. im Curious if the saber grind is going to leave a bit more steel at the tip.

I ordered one. im Curious if the saber grind is going to leave a bit more steel at the tip.

From what I have seen in the photos the tip has substantially more steel at the tip that the original grind. I ordered one also and am hoping to pick it up first thing in the morning from their shop, which is several blocks away. Pretty stoked to get this one.

This is copied and pasted from Blade Ops home page:

WEbbannerSpycPara2Emerson.jpg

W
From what I have seen in the photos the tip has substantially more steel at the tip that the original grind. I ordered one also and am hoping to pick it up first thing in the morning from their shop, which is several blocks away. Pretty stoked to get this one.

This is copied and pasted from Blade Ops home page:

WEbbannerSpycPara2Emerson.jpg
When you get yours, do you mind posting a pic of the tip? A thicker tip would make this a must have for me. (yeah, that sounded bad)

They ruined the nice flat grind and then they put a wave on the blade. !!

The wave is the reason I never tried but one Emerson. It caused problems when I took out of my IWB carry.

Last edited:
Back