WD-40, why not to use it

I'm sure many will say otherwise, but I feel that WD-40 is only popular because it is a name brand. It's like how we say Band-aid instead of adhesive strip or bandage, Q-tips instead of cotton swab, ect, ect, ect. There are many items that we call in our every day lives by a name brand rather than what they really are. It's part of marketing and shows a successful company, but not necessary a successful product.

WD-40 isn't a good lubricant simply because it collects dust. I work in a hardware store and time and time again people come in and say they sprayed their locks with WD-40 and now they don't work. The dust gunks up the lock and stops the cylinder from working properly. It's the same thing that happens to knives. All that lint and dust in your pocket or the environment you use your knife in collect in the washers or ball bearings (even worse!).

I spray WD40 on garden tools to protect from rust and it gums up in a few weeks.
I never use it as a lube and I don't use it for rust protection on anything I care about ( ie guns or knives)

I use Militech-1 for lubrication and RemOil for rust protection.

I use WD for rust bucket tools and for working/cutting fiberglass , etc..
Oh and adhesive removal.

Last edited:
I used to spray the gear cassettes on my bikes with it and wonder why I collected every grain of sand I rode over.

Water Displacement 40 is not a lube.

It contains mineral oil, which is a lube. Ergo, WD-40 is a lube.

I must not use WD-40 right, because I've never seen it get gummy. But I believe those who say they have seen it. WD-40 consists of mineral spirits, mineral oil and propellant. The mineral spirits is volatile and evaporates in a few seconds, leaving behind the mineral oil as a light lube. Mineral oil is the same stuff you find in a bottle of Johnson's Baby Oil. I like WD-40, and so does Leatherman, who recommends it on their multitools. But to each his own. There are plenty of good ones out there if WD-40 doesn't do it for you. Rock on.

It is great for cleaning off adhesive residue - not on something that will leave an oil stain but something like metal, plastic etc.

One of my friends up in the pacific northwest has an interesting combo that he uses on his tools. He has collected a bunch of old logging tool, mainly axes but also an entire crosscut saw collection. These are displayed on one of his walls in his spacious shop.

The tools have been carefully cleaned, then he uses a coat of WD40. Any excess is wiped away. Following this, each axe is coated with Johnson's baby oil (Shea and Cocoa butter version) and then the excess is removed to avoid splatter. I'd be interested if this combo/mixture somehow keeps the offending moisture at bay better than some of the other lubes on the market: my buddy swears by the combination. Back in the day, I just used any thirty weight motor oil to ward off the wet stuff.

I like the 'smart straw' on my cans of WD40. Makes it a cinch to get into those pesky, tough nooks!

I agree--WD40 is popular because of marketing and because almost everyone knows about it. As knifenut pointed out, WD stands for water displacement--it was not invented as a primary lubricant, it was invented primarily to keep things dry and displace water. It is far from an ideal lubricant, and the fact that it collects dust makes it even worse. I used to work at a hardware store also, and most people looking for a lubricant who needed help asked for WD40 specifically. It was one among probably 100 lubricants we carried.

I'm also surprised by how many people use WD40 on things they handle every day on a casual basis, including things they use to process food. When I was a kid, all the adults I knew just didn't pay attention to it and would cut up a sandwich with a knife that had WD40 on it and then eat the sandwich with WD40 on their hands. A little bit might not make you sick, but the damage is cumulative--why use a toxic/carcinogenic lubricant/protectant on a knife when food-safe options like mineral oil are not only available, but cheaper? I think people just have faith in WD40 because it's so well known and are skeptical of anything else...like when someone comes from a Chevy for Ford family and only buys Chevies or Fords. Some people are skeptical of "carcinogens" and "toxins" as well--a woman came in once looking for a respirator because her husband was applying varnish and spray paint inside a tiny bathroom with no windows and wasn't taking any safety precautions. When I tried to sell her a respirator approved for oil based paint particulates, she was absolutely furious and thought I was trying to sell her overpriced snake oil. She complained to the manager and ended up buying her husband a 50 cent disposable dust mask that wasn't even approved for sanding.

Now while i definitely wouldn't use WD40 as a lube, I am guilty of using it to free up "gunked up" pivots. Pivots gunked up....not by WD40 but by other lubes.

I usually spray it, work the pivot and repeat until it's as free as it can be. I then blow compressed air at 100psi until the pivot and all surrounding areas are clean. once dry I apply my lube of choice. All of this takes around 1-2 minutes, I'd rather do this if i'm in a hurry than disassemble and do a full cleaning (like I said, only if i'm in a hurry)

So far so good, no lint or dust to speak of and the pivots are still freely moving (about a month or two later)

I'm not advocating the use of WD40 as a lube here but I think it is pretty good for removing "gunk" Just make sure to run compressed air thru it and add a drop of your favorite lube afterwards.

What does WD-40 Multi-Use Product do?
WD-40 Multi-Use Product fulfills five basic functions:
1. LUBRICATES: The product's lubricating ingredients are widely dispersed and tenaciously held to all moving parts.
2. PENETRATES: WD-40 Multi-Use Product loosens rust-to-metal bonds and frees stuck, frozen or rusted metal parts.
3. PROTECTS: The product protects metal surfaces with corrosion-resistant ingredients to shield against moisture and other corrosive elements.
4. REMOVES: WD-40 Multi-Use Product gets under dirt, grime and grease. Use it to remove gunk from tools, equipment and vehicles. WD-40 Multi-Use Product in liquid form (e.g., gallon) also dissolves adhesives, allowing easy removal of excess bonding material.
5. DISPLACES MOISTURE: Because it displaces moisture, WD-40 Multi-Use Product quickly dries out electrical systems to eliminate moisture-induced short circuits.

^^Quoted from WD-40's own site ( http://wd40.com/faqs/#a97 ). Curious; the 'lube' attribute is listed at the top. Guess they must've been imagining things.
Somebody might want to contact the manufacturer, to tell them they 'wrong' about why it was invented, and what it's not really designed to do. :rolleyes:

Dirty knives 'collect dust'. Keep it reasonably clean, and most any light petro-oil product will work as a 'lube', including this one. Also, using too much oil makes a bigger difference in how 'gummy' it'll be. Keep the application light, and it actually works like it's supposed to.

(25+ years using it as such in the desert southwest, where dust is a daily fact of life; no issues).

David

Last edited:
There is always some neophyte that starts up the "WD 40 Sucks" stuff. It doesn't.
I am a professional cutlery restorer, designer, maker, & collector, a steam/refrigeration engineer, was a custom gunsmith for 25 years, am a jeweler, hand engraver and a musician.
I have used WD 40 for over 40 years. I have never seen it gum. It's lubricant is exactly the same lube that is always recommended- mineral oil.
I use WD 40 every day in my cutlery business. Properly used, it is one of the handiest items in my shop. I use it when buffing, to clean, remove rust, as a light lube, as a moisture displacer, as a rust protectant, to lube gravers. I even use it on my bass strings! It's not toxic.
Professionally, if I was restricted to one spray lube, it would be WD 40.
So stop all the WD 40 bashing. It makes you look less than intelligent.

I use WD to dissolve the gunk that builds up on my bicycle chain...have used it for decades and it works great. Also for dissolving sticky stuff left behind from all sorts of sticky things...again it works great.
It is not my primary lubricant in general. I prefer silicon based lubes for most things.
I certainly don't use it on any of my knives.

Come on guys, you are forgetting all the amazaing things that WD-40 is good for!

1. Remove unwanted paint.
2. Clean your stove top shiner than it has ever been.
3. Protects silver from tarnishing.
4. Removes road tar and grime from cars.
5. Cleans and lubricates guitar strings.
6. Gives floors that 'just-waxed' sheen without making it slippery.
7. Keeps flies off cows.
8. Restores and cleans chalkboards.
9. Removes lipstick stains.
10. Loosens stubborn zippers.
11. Untangles jewelry chains.
12. Removes stains from stainless steel sinks. Cleans the fronts of Stainless steel appliances (have personally seen the employees of Lowes use it on their appliances in the store to keep them new looking)
13. Removes dirt and grime from the barbecue grill.
14. Keeps ceramic/terra cotta garden pots from oxidizing.
15. Removes tomato stains from clothing
16. Keeps glass shower doors free of water spots.
17. Camouflages scratches in ceramic and marble floors.
18. Keeps scissors working smoothly.
19. Lubricates noisy door hinges on vehicles and doors in homes.
20. Gives a children's play gym slide a shine for a super fast slide.
21. Lubricates gear shift and mower deck lever for ease of handling on riding mowers.
22. Rids kid’s rocking chairs and swings of squeaky noises.
23. Lubricates tracks in sticking home windows and makes them easier to open.
24. Spraying an umbrella stem makes it easier to open and close.
25. Restores and cleans padded leather dashboards in vehicles, as well as vinyl bumpers.
26. Restores and cleans roof racks on vehicles.
27. Lubricates and stops squeaks in electric fans.
28. Lubricates wheel sprockets on tricycles, wagons, and bicycles for easy handling.
29. Lubricates fan belts on washers and dryers and keeps them running smoothly.
30. Keeps rust from forming on saws and saw blades, and other tools.
31. Removes splattered grease on stove.
32. Keeps bathroom mirror from fogging.
33. Lubricates prosthetic limbs.
34. Keeps pigeons off the balcony (they hate the smell).
35. Removes all traces of duct tape.
36. Folks even spray it on their arms, hands, and knees to relieve Arthritis pain.
37. Florida's favorite use is: "cleans and removes love bugs from grills and bumpers."
38. The favorite use in the state of New York — WD-40 protects the Statue of Liberty from the elements.
39. WD-40 attracts fish. Spray a LITTLE on live bait or lures and you will be catching the big one in no time. Also, it is a lot cheaper than the chemical attractants that are made for just that purpose. Keep in mind though, using Some chemical laced baits or lures for fishing are not allowed in some states.
40. Use it for fire ant bites. It takes the sting away immediately and stops the itch.
41. WD-40 is great for removing crayon from walls. Spray on the mark and wipe with a clean rag.
42. Also, if you've discovered that your teenage daughter has washed and dried a tube of lipstick with a load of laundry, saturate the lipstick spots with WD-40 and re-wash. Presto! Lipstick is gone!
43. If you sprayed WD-40 on the distributor cap, it would displace the moisture and allow the car to start.
44. It removes black scuff marks from the kitchen floor! Use WD-40 for those nasty tar and scuff marks on flooring. It doesn't seem to harm the finish and you won't have to scrub nearly as hard to get them off. Just remember to open some windows if you have a lot of marks.
45. Bug guts will eat away the finish on your car if not removed quickly! Use WD-40!

:p

WD-40 is great for getting off adhesives and does have many other purposes, but as a lubricant (and I'm not deny it is, just that it's not the best) it's not something I'd use on my knives.

I should have ended my original post with: "let s*** storm ensue!"

I never use it as a lubricant. I do use it however as a tool cleaner. Its also great for cleaning and finishing synthetic handle materials. I also use it for stonewashing, drilling, etc.

I like it for some stuff.

Back