"We charge full retail because that is what ESEE wants us to."

The title is what I was told at the knife store today. I was looking for bolts for the scales I am trying to make and was asking for a strop while there. The guy couldn't understand how the bolts worked (I had to explain it to him) and they didn't carry strops. He wanted to sell me this machine that ran a leather belt to strop.

Anyway, I wasn't that bothered until I mentioned their Izula price was double what I paid. That is when he told me that it was ESEE's fault because they forced the retail store to do that then allowed the online retailers to discount. He also said Jeff "thinks his knives are the best in the world" and so now is a jerk. He said that Jeff was nice until he "left Ontario" and now he is rude to everyone and thinks his knives are better than "Chris Reeve's which are way better." I told him I have had a much different experience here and that, while Jeff can be gruff, he is actually quite open about the industry having many good makers and that people don't really need their knives like they think they do and whatnot.

Anyway, it was just a weird experience. The guy had been nice until he was just insistent that I shouldn't want to own ESEE knives.

Probably just trying to steer you toward the merchandise with the higher profit margins. I doubt that I would ever grace their shop again; not because of the prices [I will pay a little more to support brick & mortar stores], but because I hate to support liars.

I would not support someone like that.
The dealers here are mostly very nice, understanding and honest.

Most dealers around here dont carry esee, so i have to go online. The only one who does only carries the esee 5, and wants $225 for it.

I dont deal with rude people or people that bash others to justify themselves. Its a bummer that so many people do that though.

Burn the store down, but first listen for all the gossip to pass on to Jeff. :|

The problem with all "Brick and Mortar" stores is this: they have rent to pay. If that rent is in a strip mall, it's expensive. If it is in a real mall, it's really expensive. You have to sell a ton of shit just to pay the rent, keep the lights and telephone on and you've already spent over a grand and you have not even met payroll or made a dime yet.

Talking shit about good people because you have a failed business model is a good recipe for never returning to his store.

That business model is failing now with all retailers. Landlords are not exactly "into" cutting rent costs.

Feel free to post the name and address of the store here. They are flat lying. We do not set any stores pricing. I want to notify the wholesale distributors not to sell anymore to these assholes.

Don is right. Brick & Mortar is an expensive way to present yourself to the public. Owning your own property or laying off some of the need for a wider customer base on an internet operation can make it work.

Jeff is right. Badmouthing the competition is classless. Burning down your neighbor's house will not improve your own property's value.

Not a big fan of liars but REALLY can't stand one thats trying to make an extra buck by telling lies on someone else. If you need the money that damn bad find another profession or get a second job !!!

There are good and bad "brick & mortar" business owners as there are good and bad Internet business owners. Luckily the local outdoor stores by me have been very helpful. I would be willing to pay a little extra to support the good local businesses, however they don't carry ESEE equipment.

That's where Dale at The Knife Connection comes in. I've had nothing but good experiences there, great pricing and fast shipping. Just ordered another Izula that shipped almost immediately.

Was this guy an employee or the store owner/dealer? I'd let Jeff know that info as well. If it's just an employee, the owner needs to set him straight, well someone always needs to be set straight.

If this place/this person has a presence on Bladeforums, I'd like to hear what they have to say about the original post.

It would be interesting if Jeff were to make a phone call to this place and ask them what's up with the alleged badmouthing...THEN cut them off the dealer list:D

I wonder where he got that idea... some of the dealers Jeff has said he respects the most sell at discount. Plus, ESEE guarantees their stuff not for the original owner, but for any owner. That way customers can buy their knives secondhand at a discount, and resale value of their knives is better.

This was at House of Blades in Ft. Worth TX. This is the 2nd time I was there. The first was hen I was looking for an Izula and wanted to see it in person. They had a pink one, no kit, for almost $100. That time the guy also used the phrase "full retail", but his excuse was that they offered free lifetime sharpening. Didn't like that response, but could deal with it.
This guy was obviously just an employee, and he looked a bit young at that. I would have dismissed most of this except he said he went to the Shot show and dealt with Jeff there. From what I have experienced time and again on here, I knew his claim of Jeff thinking his poop don't stink was bogus, and I called him on that. I made him uncomfortable as he asked another employee to check me out (I needed the bolts and couldn't find them anywhere else or I wouldn't have bought them.)

I don't think he expected me to have an opinion or any knowledge. I had mentioned this forum and the fact that many had made scales for the Izula, as he didn't think it would be possible. I mentioned several things about this forum, so I know he knew I had some knowledge. Even if that was his opinion, he shouldn't have said it to a customer who obviously was very in to an ESEE knife.

Jeff is a stand up guy, he says it as he sees it and I respect that alot, takes good care of his customers and also puts up with alot of BS from people.

There will always be asshats in every buisness, just gotta smack them around bit until they get it.....

I try and support local when I can. The problem is usually the price. The real advantages with a store is being able to see the product before buying,service, and knowledge. Sounds like you only have one at best.

Back