"We charge full retail because that is what ESEE wants us to."

Bad as this is, I think the dealer deserves a chance to respond to this. I think suchmuchfun is telling the truth, but it still seems unfair to cut off the dealer without giving them a chance to explain themselves based on a single report, especially when it might just be a rogue employee contradicting the store's official stance.

Well, if the store's got that attitude, send them a case of Anti Monkey Butt Powder instead of excellent ESEE knives.

I've been to house of blades in ft worth several times, they always have that same attitude. I haven't been back in a long time because they are just so obnoxious and the lack of knowledge is so outstanding. I'm surprised they started carrying esee at all the last time I was there and asked about them they only carried ontario and claimed they were the same thing.

take it easy
cricket

So much for these people. It doesn't matter if it was the owner or an emplyee who made these remarks, the bottom line is they're wrong and it was said on behalf of the business. I will contact the distributor about them on Monday. Probably won't do any good but I want the distributor to know that we do not want dealers such as this selling our product.

This was at House of Blades in Ft. Worth TX. This is the 2nd time I was there. The first was hen I was looking for an Izula and wanted to see it in person. They had a pink one, no kit, for almost $100. That time the guy also used the phrase "full retail", but his excuse was that they offered free lifetime sharpening. Didn't like that response, but could deal with it.
This guy was obviously just an employee, and he looked a bit young at that. I would have dismissed most of this except he said he went to the Shot show and dealt with Jeff there. From what I have experienced time and again on here, I knew his claim of Jeff thinking his poop don't stink was bogus, and I called him on that. I made him uncomfortable as he asked another employee to check me out (I needed the bolts and couldn't find them anywhere else or I wouldn't have bought them.)

I don't think he expected me to have an opinion or any knowledge. I had mentioned this forum and the fact that many had made scales for the Izula, as he didn't think it would be possible. I mentioned several things about this forum, so I know he knew I had some knowledge. Even if that was his opinion, he shouldn't have said it to a customer who obviously was very in to an ESEE knife.
Very coincidental I had a similar experience at that same shop except it was not with Esee knives because at the time all they had were ontarios. I was trying to by a Becker BK9 and the price they wanted was outrageous I made a simple comment to one of the attendees that I understand markup because of being a B&M but their prices were too steep. I got a very negative attitude and was given a spiel about getting free snarling for life. I replied at those prices sharping has been paid for now and in the hereafter. I do nit remember the exact price but I did make a post on it in the Becker forums if it matters for a reference. I have not been back to that place since and won't go back now after hearing this.

Was this guy an employee or the store owner/dealer? I'd let Jeff know that info as well. If it's just an employee, the owner needs to set him straight, well someone always needs to be set straight.

Good point.

I lost a couple of good customers because of an employee that was talking out his ass about something he had no knowledge about.

I believe that the new official stand is "I refuse to shop at House of Blades because that really is what ESEE wants us to do".

i used to frequent that store a few years ago, having the ability to see and feel that many knives is great, but their prices were just so high i couldnt justify buying many knives there.

The knife store in the mall near my house is a perfect example of the subject at hand. They don't deal ESEE's but every time I have been in there they act like I'm bothering them by starting a conversation or asking a question. Most of the time they have no clue of what I'm talking about and frequently give misinformation. Did I mention they also charge full MSRP?

I understand that b&m businesses have higher overhead than an internet dealer but in that case, they should be licking my shoes clean when I walk in the door. Obviously I'm using hyperbole but it's true. They are choosing to interact on a face-to-face bases with their customers so you think they'd be more friendly and customer-service focused.

If you're gonna charge full price, at least be friendly and make me feel welcome. Knowing something about your product and then not speaking bad about the makers helps too.

Well, if the store's got that attitude, send them a case of Anti Monkey Butt Powder instead of excellent ESEE knives.

Hey now, Monkey Butt Powder is good stuff. Don't want them getting that "special feeling" down there when I could have it!

well at those prices, he won't be selling many, so he probably won't be trying to buy many more from the distributor.

IMHO it's all about protecting the Brand in this case which Jeff has every right to do. If a dealer out there is bad mouthing Jeff/ESEE and providing false information regarding business practices then that's not someone that you want in your corner from a business perspective. They can hurt your reputation/Brand which can lead to bad word-of-mouth to potential customers. It's fourth down and long with this dealer. Time to punt.

I love the argument most local shops have for just about any specialized product. I understand they need to charge a little more, and I like having someplace to go and feel or try something on.

But it comes down to customer service. When they have an abrasive, abusive attitude, Well. Screw 'em. They're not going out of biz because of online undercutting. They're going out because online stores treat people better. It's a cut throat market and they know it. Brick and Mortar are used to being the only game in town, and people having no choice.

I believe that the new official stand is "I refuse to shop at House of Blades because that really is what ESEE wants us to do".

no not really I don't shop there because they are overpriced and ill informed.

I doubt Jeff much cares where you shop. I know he does care how companies represent or in this case misrepresent his company and knives and how they treat his customers.

take it easy
cricket

I have gotten to the point in life i call people on bullshit like this. And if they press it i ask for a manager. Unfortunately90% of their business is probably the uneducated so they can get away with pricing things that high. I would have walked and ordered the bolts online but thats just me. And i hope your handle project goes well. Take your time and ask questions if needed.

Now what would be really funny is if Jeff gave them a call or stopped by asking about ESEE knives. I would pay to hear that. :)

The knife store in the mall near my house is a perfect example of the subject at hand. They don't deal ESEE's but every time I have been in there they act like I'm bothering them by starting a conversation or asking a question. Most of the time they have no clue of what I'm talking about and frequently give misinformation. Did I mention they also charge full MSRP?

I'm kind of curious as to the store you speak of. I don't know many knife stores in the area. There's the one at the Alderwood Mall and the one in Bellevue that sells little more then S&W folders.

Back