Well its time to start thinking about knife storage. Sigh

I've gotten to the point I now need knife storage recommendations. Needs to be able to hold roughly 25 knives. Wife says I can't have them in our drawers and on our shelves anymore :(

Check out the Voyager 18" x 6" x 13" black Aluminum case from Harbor Freight for $30. Plus you can always find a coupon. It has pockets inside the top for knives and foam inserts.

I have my traditionals and some of my Buck and my multi-tools in the Harbor Freight 8-drawer Wood Tool Chest - and like mentioned above, look for a coupon for a discount from list.

The chest is not the best quality, but it's not the worst and I have had mine for 7 years or so and it is holding up just fine.

best

mqqn

hmmm all man need to think ahead.
start planning for a man cave.
in there at least, a man gets
to set all the rules as king.
keep safe your keys to freedom.
if that's not possible
in time you might be needing
the services of a storage
facility elsewhere.
meanwhile nothing wrong with
any old roll pack tucked inside
of a samsonite suitcase.

I use an antique hardwood doctors apothecary cabinet, and some other old cutlery wooden boxes. The apothecary cabinet is really sweet for folding knives though, as it has multiple small draws perfect size for folding knives. I think it adds a nice classy tone, your wife will probably think it's a nice oddity as well, most females that have seen mine think the cabinet is nicer than the knives that are inside of it.

I keep them on a belt, hanged by the buckle.
I know I have too many when the belt is full!

I use a wooden machinist's tool chest with felt-lined drawers. It can comfortably hold ~65-75 knives, with room for desiccant packs in each drawer. The top is a single compartment with a lid; I removed the lid and use that as a valet tray. There are several brands for this sort of chest, usually in the $125-150 range.

When I had enough knives to warrant it, I added some clear make-up storage boxes on top of the chest. These held ~10-15 knives apiece, and were about $20 per set.

I like being able to easily access my knives and see the whole handle of each one, so Pelican (etc.) cases where only the ends are visible, and they're sort of more locked away, don't appeal to me.

- Single men don't have to worry about such things...
- Imagine how much knife space you would have without all her purses and shoes in the closets...
- "Our drawers", "our shelves"? Surely you some space that is your own? If not it's about time you man up and claim some...
- You could sell about 15 of them...surely she would allow you 10...then start buying swords. You can mount those artistically on a wall, to display them.

I’m just gonna toss this into the mix for kicks, since I don’t know if we’re talking about fixed blades, folders, larger knives etc....or what your budget is; and because I’m not sure how much longer they’ll be available.

It’s a bit pricey for the quality (I’d love to find something similar in a nice wood) but I find it works perfectly for me. I’m showing about 34 knives, but there’s 4-5 more underneath the top shelf holding 7. Granted, I prefer smaller folders and a few of my fixed blades won’t fit, but overall I’m very happy with the product.

Not sure if I can “drop” the name of the vendor here, but they shouldn’t be hard to find.

Again, a bit overpriced...particularly since my set-up is two pieces (valet plus one drawer), but I do like that I can expand with additional drawers. I’ve seen a few folks even add LED strips inside for a little more “Umph!”

Best of all, my wife doesn’t even notice it on the dresser anymore.....and she definitely doesn’t notice when new additions pop up, lol.

AE3PzF0.jpg
T1FWoyu.jpg

Not using display cases. Every knife has a sheath and may be in a ziplock baggie. I use 50 calibre ammo cans that can be locked, Sears mechanic tool boxes, Snap wear clear plastic storage boxes that can be stacked (not available anymore).

I’m just gonna toss this into the mix for kicks, since I don’t know if we’re talking about fixed blades, folders, larger knives etc....or what your budget is; and because I’m not sure how much longer they’ll be available.

It’s a bit pricey for the quality (I’d love to find something similar in a nice wood) but I find it works perfectly for me. I’m showing about 34 knives, but there’s 4-5 more underneath the top shelf holding 7. Granted, I prefer smaller folders and a few of my fixed blades won’t fit, but overall I’m very happy with the product.

Not sure if I can “drop” the name of the vendor here, but they shouldn’t be hard to find.

Again, a bit overpriced...particularly since my set-up is two pieces (valet plus one drawer), but I do like that I can expand with additional drawers. I’ve seen a few folks even add LED strips inside for a little more “Umph!”

Best of all, my wife doesn’t even notice it on the dresser anymore.....and she definitely doesn’t notice when new additions pop up, lol.

AE3PzF0.jpg
T1FWoyu.jpg

You have alot of information about the box...
Except what it is .

I've gotten to the point I now need knife storage recommendations. Needs to be able to hold roughly 25 knives. Wife says I can't have them in our drawers and on our shelves anymore :(

I've been using one cardboard box for fixed and one for folders for twelve yrs or so.
Works just fine...

- Single men don't have to worry about such things...
- Imagine how much knife space you would have without all her purses and shoes in the closets...
- "Our drawers", "our shelves"? Surely you some space that is your own? If not it's about time you man up and claim some...
- You could sell about 15 of them...surely she would allow you 10...then start buying swords. You can mount those artistically on a wall, to display them.

THIS FELLOW SPEAKETH THE TRUTH...METHINKS...

I just use a file cabinet drawer.

I also user Boker’s knife vault padded cases for key folders that I want to keep closer tabs on than just having in a file cabinet. Great for knife storage when you travel.

I use two gun safes, a wooden gun cabinet for the bigger stuff, a wooden machinist's chest, a large wooden chest with drawers, a dresser, a half dozen display cases with glass tops, a wooden flat tray with felt, and an attache case for my junk knives. The rest are randomly strewn around the house.

So many choices .... I have used from simple wooden cigar boxes - with some separators glued in (huge amount of different sizes available on ebay, some very nice ones if you look carefully), over zipped/Nylon ZT storage cases (18 knives) and Spydie packs (18 or 30 knives, this is the most compact and least accessible storage), a Pelican box, and finally an ammo can with foam.

What I keep using daily are two cigar boxes (~12 knives each?), the ammo can (16 larger knives like the XM24, sometimes the can is locked), and one of these for fixed blades and their sheaths (ebay #274388903009, but in black):

s-l500.jpg

Really depends on what you like and how accessible you want the knives to be. If the case looks too much like a jewelry box, or the knives are not easily accessible you won't use your knives - if you are like me.

Last edited:
Back