Went and sanded the handle on my WWII...

bura-ww2-handle2.jpg

After considering the option of using sports tape on my 18" WWII, I decided that it wasn't entirely appropriate. So I took some 1000 grit automotive sandpaper and sandpapered the handle, removing that varnish which makes the handle look so shiny.

bura-ww2-handle1.jpg

This is the same handle after a bit of clean up with a wet paper towel.

bura-ww2-entire.jpg

The whole knife, with its new satin-finished handle. I actually prefer this finish over the previous one, which you can see below.

bura-ww2-handle0.jpg

I will be looking for some lanolin in the morning, so I can treat the handle and keep it in perfect condition.

Before you put on the Lanolin, oil your handle with machine oil. I did this and it somehow made the small scratches from sanding disapear. It actually looks like the high polish but grips like the satin feel. Do all bolsters on WW2 models come in silver or is that just your photo ?

Brendan

Thanks for the tip! No, the standard metal used for the WWII khuk furniture is brass, but I requested that the fittings be in steel. Looks like silver, but won't tarnish and is more durable.

Very nice blade. I like the steel fittings. hmmm, getting a bit feverish :D

Nice looking handle:) Both my 12" and 15" sirupatis have that finish, although I used 1000grit IIRC. Same satin feel with better grip. I didn't do it for that reason though. I had repaired cracks to both handles and wanted to remove the excess glue and didn't have access to a buffer so I sanded. I like the feel of the handles but I prefered the appearance of the polish.

BTW, I'm not sure, but I don't thing the horn has varnish on it. Isn't that just how the horn finishes after its been on the buffer? Could be wrong though...

OK, dumb question, horn admirers; why does my BAS leave my hand black? I've been looking for some hoof treatment stuff, will that cure this? Will lanolin?

munk

I've never had my hand turn black from the horn. Although some of the red polishing rogue sometimes comes off turning my hand redish. Using some of the hoof treatment kinda softens the rogue and it sort of wipes off. The lanolin stuff may do the same for yours.

Someone said once that V05 had lanolin in it.. dunno if it's true though.

My Chiruwa AK makes the web between my finger and thumb turn black. I just figured it was slight wear of the horn material due to sweat, dirt and friction.

I treat my horn handles after every use so maybe they're a bit "soft" compared to ones that are not treated as frequently.

Someone said once that V05 had lanolin in it.. dunno if it's true though.

It's twoo, it's twoo!

The ingredients are listed on the box(long ago discarded), but not on the tube. The first ingredient is petrolatum, but lanolin is second or third on the list. So far my horn handle seems to love it. I'd go for the hoof stuff if I could find it, but tack shops don't exit in my immediate area.

It gives the handle that polished translucent look like the machine oil Brendan mentioned. Petrolatum ain't that much different from machine oil. Hair, horn, same stuff.

My hand goes black as well, dont know why !!! Must have something do with the lanolin - it is a carrier ie soaks into the skin. Maybe small particles come off the handle and the lanolin soaks them into the skin !!

B

I normally do, I just wanted to leave a thick coat of lanolin on my handle to let it do some good work !!

Whats the story with this Rust guy, do you know the history behind him or what ?

B

So! The Secret, 'Black Hand Society" has emerged....

Anyone know the ingredients of Hoof flex?

Might be if it's all petroleum based, I might give petrolatum a try.

Machine oil seems wrong to me....

But what do I know? Nothing about blades!!

munk

Brass handles make my hand turn black. Why doesn't it turn brass color?

Because when it comes off on your hand it isn't brass any more!

It's whatever brass tarnish is. Probably partly due to persperation (or "dew", if any really old-fashioned members of the fairer sex read this :p )

You might have some tough callouses, but I doubt they'll sand brass!

Originally posted by munk
Anyone know the ingredients of Hoof flex? munk

From memory,
Mineral oil, lanolin, turpentine, pine tar, some other stuff in small amounts.

Steve

So! The Secret, 'Black Hand Society" has emerged....

Now you know how to spot a true Horn Toad.:D

Anyone know the ingredients of Hoof flex?

"ACTIVE INGREDIENTS: Neatsfoot Oil, Lanolin, Turpentine, Pine Tar, blended in a Petrolatum, Tallow, Wax, Rosin and Aloe Base, with Chloroxylenol 1.5%"

Says so right here on my industrial sized 55-gallon drum that I've already half used up since I got it in February.:rolleyes: ;)

Good, it's not just mineral oil. I found out looking into this just how much stuff contains mineral oil. Why not put mineral oil on and save the middle man? I couldn't find any Hoof flex, and was eyeing the VO5 in our little store. But it looks as if hoof flex is arriving tommorow. If it smells as good as they say I'll be sure and wipe some under my arms.

Yeah, here's a scene I'd like to see: a line of ladies in beauty chairs recieving their doobobs and whatnots, and dipping their nails in, "that incredible secret formula just in from the Coast." None other than Hoof Flex of course.

munk

If it smells as good as they say I'll be sure and wipe some under my arms.

Smells like mild pine pitch. Hopefully it won't spook the deer like that doggone wintergreen bore butter.

Yeah, here's a scene I'd like to see: a line of ladies in beauty chairs recieving their doobobs and whatnots, and dipping their nails in, "that incredible secret formula just in from the Coast." None other than Hoof Flex of course.

Sure keeps my nails nice & shiny!:D

Back